Etane's New Glass Box w/ Silicone Glue: ADA 60-F
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #1
etane
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

Etane's New Glass Box w/ Silicone Glue: ADA 60-F

So, short story long.

I got laid off about a year ago. It's a blessing and wasn't even in disguise. Happy and gleeful I was. Severance meant paid vacation. Just got my masters: the world is my oyster. Who needed that damn job. Took a good 6 months just cycling around the county and spending too much time on the internet. The wife got angry. Not sure if it is because she's envious or just didn't like it that I am not working. So, I got a job.

I got this job that's perfect for me. It's in the consumer high tech industry, so if you like apps and gadgets like I do, it's tres bien. Also, it's only 4 miles from my house. Literally take 3 turns and 4 lights to get to the office. People I work with are great. Work load is pretty light. My pay increase over the last job is over 20%. There's just one glaring problem. The cubicle I am to spend 8-10 hours of my week days in is drab and stuffy.

So, I thought of ways to spiffy up the cubicle while trying to get some fresh air circulating. I got a mini vortech fan, but it just circulates dead air. I should bring plants! But, I don't want to bring bamboo or ficus or fern, you know, house plants. Bland. Started to look on Amazon for something cool. I found BlueIQ. For those who don't know, it's an open ecosystem that you set up and forget. They supply you with a vase with a choice of substrate and plants as well as some neos shrimps and snails. Just add water, and you're supposed to have this ecosystem that supports itself. You never have to feed it or anything.

I got interested. It's a pretty vase. That's a plus. Shrimps look interesting. Snails will clean up the crap in the vase, so I never have to clean. And, you got some oxygen producing plants. This could help with lessening my suffocation. But, I thought, just shrimp is boring. I want fish. So, I emailed BlueIQ asking whether I can add a Neon Tetra into the vase. They said they don't recommend it because the vase is too small to support it and it might eat the Neos. I figure I can make my own version of BlueIQ with a larger vase that can support more fauna.

Enter the Vision vase. It's 8x8x4 inches which is 256 inches cube. That's about a gallon. It might support some shrimps and maybe a small fish? This is what it looks like:

I got the vase and ordered 10 Snowball shrimps and a clump of Java Moss off ebay and received it last Friday (5-11-2012). I actually received on 9 Snowball shrimps. Read some stuff about acclimating the water to suit the newly acquired shrimps. Put the new shrimpies in a tuppleware. The original bag contained what looked like Duckweed (yuck). I then proceeded to add a little water into the tupperware. I have an RO filter attached to my sink, so that's the water I use. RO water is supposed to be great right?

Well, overnight, I found one dead shrimp. The shrimp turned from translucent to opaque white. What went wrong? I don't know! I took matters into my own hands and decided to quickly take all the shrimps out of the old dirty Duckweed water and place them into the new Vision vase with all RO water. I had the Java moss in the vase for about 20 hours by now. So, the water has SOME biofilm in it sort of kind of. Made extra sure that I scopped up the shrimp without carrying any of the Duckweed over and into the vase they drop.

At first they just dived to the bottom of the vase but then sprang into life and started exploring up and down and up and down. I wasn't sure I did the right thing, but their activity made me a bit relieved. They were munching on the moss. So, food wise, I thought they were set. Water wise, it's the cleanest water available. The only thing I worried about is acclimation as all these internet forums and instructions warned that shrimps need to acclimate to their new environment, and I just dropped them into newly untreated filter water.

The next morning, another dead white shrimp. The morning after that, another. Morning after that, one more. 4 mornings in a row, 4 dead white shrimps. What's going on? Here's a pic of dead shrimp #4 the night before it left the world of the living:

I think this shrimp knew it was going to die and was fighting it with all its might. I stayed up until 12am just watching it struggle to ingest as much food as it can. And, it spent a great deal of time at the top of the water level trying to breath in as much air as possible. It was the little train that didn't stop chuggin but, alas, it couldn't cheat death.

After work on 5/15/2012, I went straight to PetSmart and bought a Tetra Water Test Master Kit. Tested the water and found the water to be too soft. According to the colors on the chart, both GH and KH was near zero. What can I do?

What I did was I did a 80% water change and added two pretty rocks I found on the road a few weeks back when walking to my local farmers market. After I was done, the shrimps were all over the rocks like wolves at a Hometown Buffet. I didn't even know the rocks were safe for the shrimps. I did wash them and then put them in water for about a 20 days before I put them into the vase with the shrimps. But, they obviously like the rocks.

The next morning, I didn't find a dead shrimp. What I found was molted skin. 2 full suit molted skins and I only had 5 shrimps left. The next morning, I found 3 more. Could they molt that fast? My hypothesis is that the shrimps that died tried to molt though unsuccessfully since their old skin ended up suffocating them cuz they couldn't come off which is caused by the water being too soft. Just an hypothesis that I hope not to test in the future.

Here's a pic of a happy shrimp. See, his body is full of excrements. He's been munching on Java moss:

In my state of frenzy during the past week of internet research trying to save my shrimpies, I've discovered it's a big world for aquascaping and shrimp hobbying. I am bit. I gotta get me a real tank. Well, a tank real enough but not too real as I don't want the real maintenance part.

For the past few days, I've been reading up on plants and shrimp keeping like crazy. I wanted to build a fancy shrimp friendly tank but didn't have a concept in mind. I learned who Takashi Amano and what Amano shrimps are. I learned what types of shrimps can live but not breed together. It's time to find a larger "Vision vase". And, I found it on Amazon, the Mr. Aqua 12 gallon 36" long aquarium. I bought it at an LFS though as it was cheaper since shipping is $23.

So, here it is:

I am sure you guys all seen it before. I found the 12 gallon tank thread on this forum, and I am sure you have too. So, a word on my opinion of the tank thus far. The workmanship sucks. I already asked the LFS owner guy to give me the pick of the litter. He promised this is it. But, the silicone application is woeful. The glass cutting leaves more to be desired. At least the paneling is lined up straight. I've read about Mr. Aqua's quality control AFTER I ordered it. If I can do it again, I would have ordered it from GLA.

Here's some more detailed pics:

Notice the jaggy edge and poor silicone application in the red circle.

Another.

Another.

Maybe I am being too picky. I haven't had an aquarium since I was 10. I don't know what the threshold is for what passes as good QC for aquariums. I am sure I would get a better made aquarium if I bought an ADA rimless? I'd be willing to pay more but I want the long dimension and ADA doesn't make it in the long dimension.

Here I am, empty aquarium. Got the accessories you see in the picture:

Marineland Single LED
Fluval C2 HOB w/ optional sponge filter
Hydor Koralia 240 Nano powerhead
Eheim Jager 25w heater (I live in So Cal so the smallest will do)

What to do now? I've drawn many concepts on paper and in mind regarding what I want to do with the aquarium. I've seen tons of really pretty aquascaping online but, you know what? I don't garden and don't want to start gardening. Not going to prune or spray my plants with CO2 or fertilizer. Most plants to me are ugly. I don't even like touching plants. I don't even like dirt. So, no, I won't be using potting soil in my aquarium.

This aquarium is for my shrimps' happiness and making them happy makes me happy. And, what will make me happier is if I can see them being happy. So, the first and foremost objective for the aquarium concept is openess (sic). I want to be able to see what all the shrimps are doing at a single glance. They can have things to hide and feel safe, but I should be able to see them at the same time. How do I achieve this conundrum?

And, since I don't like want to take care of the aquarium very much, I need to design the tank so it can be self sufficient sort of like the BlueIQ, just add water! I need to find a balance between flora and fauna, so they can keep each other happy in harmony. And, all I need to do is to look at my happy shrimps.

Currently, I have Java moss in my shrimp vase. I think Java moss is pretty. It can stay. I want to get some hairgrass and some mossballs. I want plants that don't really look like plants you can say. Those twiney leafy things kind of gross me out. I need plats with definite shape and structure. And, they have to be easy to take care of, generate enough oxygen and nutrients to support a small shrimp colony and they must be slow growth because I don't wanna have to prune and cut and rake or any gardening.

So, that's where I am at.

I need one of those water changing hoses, Eleocharis Parvula and Blyxa Japonica.

I think I know what I am doing. My shrimps will rue the day. My cubicle, however, is still suffocating me.

Anyways, my other hobbies include audiophilia, photography and road cycling. The photography part might come in handy with this shrimp keeping stuff.

Update 5/20/2012

If you read this far, you'd realize that the title says "ADA 60-F" not "Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon". Well, I returned every equipment I bought and started over. I trekked to Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica, an hour drive from Irvine, today. This is the best retail experience I had in a very long time. Every aquarium and accessory was interesting to look at. Dunno about the rest of you guys, but I've never been interested in pet stores or aquariums.

Anyways, I brought an ADA 60-F home.

Last edited by etane; 05-21-2012 at 06:24 AM..
etane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (331/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards

If that is where the tank is going to go be very careful.

You'll be dealing with about 120 pounds of weight on the shelf.

Judging by the shelf its not ment to support that type of weight.

Check to be sure those tracks are screwed into the studs, otherwise you'll be ****** when the tank falls and you have 12 gallons of water in your office, not to mention a broken tank. :^(

-Gordon
gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
vincenz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

Ditto on the shelf. Make sure it can support at least 150 lbs.

Some things to consider:

There aren't any plants out there you won't have to trim from time to time. Plants don't just grow to a specific size and just stay there perfectly. It's nature. It'll either grow and keep growing, or grow to the point where it can't grow anymore and then start to die because it'll choke itself. Now what type of trimming and pruning is another matter.

Since you don't like dirt, go with a shrimp-friendly substrate. There are more than enough qualified people out there to give ideas here, but generally what you want is ADA Aquasoil.

I would skip on the water change hose because it's a relatively small tank. I'm talking about one of those that connect to a faucet. Just buy one of those small hand siphons and use a bucket-- much more easier to manage for small scale things like this.

Filtration is fine, but I'd get rid of the powerhead. Those won't play well once your shrimp start breeding (shrimp sauce, anyone?). Just put the HOB on one of the short sides. Or if you're willing to go canister for a cleaner look, you can do that instead.

As for lighting, you may not have enough for anything other than moss and crypts. I'm not too sure hairgrass will do well with that light, but I could be wrong. I'd stay away from crypts since you probably won't like how the majority of them look. And they're not very good if you're looking for small scale plants.

If I were you, I'd go for a hardscape-dominated scape since you don't like maintenance. Go for some nice-looking rocks and have some moss here and there. Good luck and have fun-- just make sure your tank is cycled and good to go.
vincenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
etane
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonrichards View Post
If that is where the tank is going to go be very careful.

You'll be dealing with about 120 pounds of weight on the shelf.

Judging by the shelf its not ment to support that type of weight.

Check to be sure those tracks are screwed into the studs, otherwise you'll be ****** when the tank falls and you have 12 gallons of water in your office, not to mention a broken tank. :^(

-Gordon
I had similar apprehensions too! To test, I jumped on the shelf before placing the aquarium on it last night. I am about 170lbs. It supported me. Plus, I got a huge granite slab on the bottom shelf to keep the weight bottom heavy. With the slab on the bottom shelf, the whole shelf wouldn't budge.

The shelf is brand named Elfa and are purchased through the Container Store. I just contacted them regarding the weight limit. They claim 300lbs for my configuration and shouldn't have a problem as long as my aquarium weight is evenly spread out.

I might adjust the top shelf to be a few inches lower to be on the safe side... But, anyways, thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
etane
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Ditto on the shelf. Make sure it can support at least 150 lbs.

Some things to consider:

There aren't any plants out there you won't have to trim from time to time. Plants don't just grow to a specific size and just stay there perfectly. It's nature. It'll either grow and keep growing, or grow to the point where it can't grow anymore and then start to die because it'll choke itself. Now what type of trimming and pruning is another matter.

Since you don't like dirt, go with a shrimp-friendly substrate. There are more than enough qualified people out there to give ideas here, but generally what you want is ADA Aquasoil.

I would skip on the water change hose because it's a relatively small tank. I'm talking about one of those that connect to a faucet. Just buy one of those small hand siphons and use a bucket-- much more easier to manage for small scale things like this.

Filtration is fine, but I'd get rid of the powerhead. Those won't play well once your shrimp start breeding (shrimp sauce, anyone?). Just put the HOB on one of the short sides. Or if you're willing to go canister for a cleaner look, you can do that instead.

As for lighting, you may not have enough for anything other than moss and crypts. I'm not too sure hairgrass will do well with that light, but I could be wrong. I'd stay away from crypts since you probably won't like how the majority of them look. And they're not very good if you're looking for small scale plants.

If I were you, I'd go for a hardscape-dominated scape since you don't like maintenance. Go for some nice-looking rocks and have some moss here and there. Good luck and have fun-- just make sure your tank is cycled and good to go.

Pretty much agree with you about everything you said. Don't think I will NEVER have to do some sort of gardening but want to minimize as much as possible through my choices of plants.

Yes, plan to get one of those 2 meter hose with ball pump things not those 25-50ft water change pythons.

Yes, the light doesn't look particularly strong. I saw another forum member with the same tank got the more powerful DOUBLE Marineland LED light. He claimed it to be too bright. So, I thought I could get away with a SINGLE version of the same light. I hope the light is enough to keep hairgrass alive but not enough to get it to propogate. The thought of "runners" kind of gross me out.

I got some wood and rocks already. I don't know how to put it all together yet though.

Thanks for pointing out the powerhead shrimpy guillotine. I got the Koralie 240 Nano which I think is the smallest powerhead on the market. I tested it in my sink, and it barely creates a current. I won't use it much. I hope it's small and weak enough that it won't suck any shrimpies in... But, at least it's brought to my attention and I will see to what my alternatives are. Maybe get one of those timer power outlets that will cause the powerhead to "pulse" hence making it even weaker than it already is? But then, why even bother with a powerhead at that point?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Good luck with the tank Its an awesome size. However the single bright is absolute crap and at the most may be able to support moss.
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hey you look local, let me guess! Did you get your tank from west Covina?
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
etane
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasob85 View Post
Good luck with the tank Its an awesome size. However the single bright is absolute crap and at the most may be able to support moss.
The dimension is close to ideal. I really would like it to have a bit more depth. I think then it would be easier to create a pseudo sense of scale.

The Marineland Single is going back. Not that I don't like the light. But, I just don't want anything sitting on top of the tank. That's the whole point of getting a rimless I guess. Keep objects at a minimal so what's inside the tank is not as obstructed. Basically, it just bugs me that there's wires and things hanging all over the tank.

Just put a desk light that I don't use at the moment to light up the aquarium as a test:

Old 05-19-2012, 03:39 AM   #9
etane
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Hey you look local, let me guess! Did you get your tank from west Covina?
I might have indirectly. I bought it from Ocean Blue in Orange. But, they had to pick it up from somewhere else as both the store and distributor is out of stock. It might have been the West Covina store? What's that store called anyways?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Dont think ive ever met a plant person who didnt want their plants to grow at all.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etane View Post
I might have indirectly. I bought it from Ocean Blue in Orange. But, they had to pick it up from somewhere else as both the store and distributor is out of stock. It might have been the West Covina store? What's that store called anyways?
CK Fish world exit Azuza of 10 free way. I see that your new from your post count, join some club around here

Join the 12 gallon long club, and SCAPE! Check my signature.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #12
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
Dont think ive ever met a plant person who didnt want their plants to grow at all.
I dont want them to grow either. That way, I wouldn't have to trim lol was a pain today picking up all the hc bits after trimming
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #13
etane
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
CK Fish world exit Azuza of 10 free way. I see that your new from your post count, join some club around here

Join the 12 gallon long club, and SCAPE! Check my signature.
I can't join the 12 gallon long club anymore as I've returned the tank to Ocean Blue. Just not happy with the tank's workmanship. Going to give ADA a shot.

Thanks for the tip on SCAPE. I'll be reading up on it tonight. Spent all day researching tank stuff already...
Old 05-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #14
etane
Planted Member

Taking a break from playing with my new aquarium. As you can see in the following picture, I intend to use my desk lamp as an aquarium lamp. It's a rather expensive lamp that I ended up not using because the color temperature strains my eyes too much. But, the shrimps seem to like it quite a bit. So, it stays.

Saw some crystal red shrimps at Nature Aquarium today. My tank isn't even set up yet. But, I couldn't resist and picked up a couple.

I also ordered an Eheim 2232 canister filter. I checked out some pipes at Nature Aquarium but seems all the pipes are too big for the 60-F. The only option I found through my extensive research is Aquatic Magic's 9mm pipes. I guess I have to use the green pipes until the Magic pipes arrive. Are there other options? I think I need pipes that are less than 5" in height and prefer 9mm pipes. Of course, I will have to convert the hose size from 13mm to 9mm.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #15
IWANNAGOFAST
I see LEDs

PTrader: (33/100%)

I have a 60F as well and I'm using cal aqua labs 13mm nano pipes. They're perfect for a 60F

http://greenleafaquariums.com/inflow-outflow-pipes.html

Or of course, you could always buy the ADA or Do! Aqua versions too
IWANNAGOFAST is offline   Reply With Quote