Golden Wonder Killifish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
averittexpress
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Golden Wonder Killifish

I've been trying to breed my killifish for a while, but our male seems to be an abusive ***. The first day we put them in their new tank together the get along and do very ... "breedy" looking things, but we haven't seen any eggs on the java moss mat. After the first day though, it looks like pure aggression on the male part. we're on our fourth attempt separating them and placing them together in a breeding tank and I'm getting very frustrated with the male. Our female develops a black stripe (presumably stress) on each side and in our smaller tank, the male would keep her from eating and force her into the bottom corner and she would turn so pale and still that she very much resembled a dead fish. Is my male just irregularly aggressive? And can I alleviate this problem by not really worrying about breeding and getting more Killies? Would more than two killifish lessen the aggressiveness, or would I just end up having many separate killifish tanks?

They were in a community (semi-agressive) tank, but one of them took a chunk from a very pretty Betta's tail and were moved to a much smaller tank. The tank they're in today is a 20Long low tech with no additives just extra plants and a java moss egg mop. (Unregulated temperature; no sunlight; basement; runs about 75F most of the time.)
Dirty 29 Gallon Planted 0____o Fraternity of Dirt #86 - - Aquarists do it best in the dirt.

averittexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 04:40 AM   #2
MarineEdge
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

One tip, Golden wonders have huge mouths in comparison to their bodies, ive seen a 3inch one eat a 1inch neon lol. As to breeding, i never had that problem with mine. They never laid eggs, but the two were inseperable. Always eating together and swimming together (male and female) id suggest either trying a new male or female, idk how killies are but maybe they just didnt *click*

RAOK Member #47
MarineEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
averittexpress
Algae Grower

I kinda figured it was just someone's personality. I gave them everything they wanted to breed. He was just so mean. Sounds like it's off to the LFS again. And yeah, I knew about the mouth thing. At first, shrimp disappeared, then a piece of my Betta's tail disappeared. So they got their own tank. Then we set up a 20 as a breeder for them. Now, they're the smallest things in that tank.
Dirty 29 Gallon Planted 0____o Fraternity of Dirt #86 - - Aquarists do it best in the dirt.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
MarineEdge
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Yea switching a fish out (preferably male) should make things better

RAOK Member #47
MarineEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
averittexpress
Algae Grower

I hope so. We bought some very small Lace Cats 2@3cm and added them to the tank last night. Wal-mart (whom I do not approve of them selling fish) had a crazy sale and my wife and I couldn't resist. Also got some Skunk Loaches but they're in another tank. I'll probably get some newer killies this weekend.

***edit: And thank you for the advice!***

Tags
breeding, killies, killifish