I'm looking for a list of small fish that eat plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
Bunfoo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm looking for a list of small fish that eat plants

Hello.

I'm looking for a list or a few suggestions of small fish (Adult size under 4"?) that eat mostly live plants. This probably seems like an odd request but I actually need a fish that eats plants. I know silver dollars eat them but they're too large for what I have in mind.
Bunfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Lee04
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I read that rainbowfish eat plants. Someone on this site says that rainbowfish like stem plants and crypts especially.
Another one might be smaller types of cichlids like Neolamprologus multifasciatus.
Why do you need a fish that eats plants?
Lee04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
Bunfoo
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm working on a small semi-self sustained aquarium. I already somewhat succeeded with another tank, but that had a herbivore who wasn't a fish. Now I've got a larger tank I'm hoping to stock with some fish in a few months when it matures, since the last live-plant eating herbivore in my last tank won't be a herbivore by then. :p I also considered plant-eating snails but I'm definitely looking to have between one and four smaller fish instead.

I do know my LFS carries rainbowfish so that's a good candidate. I was also thinking I could possibly add a single molly since a lot of the basis of the tank is hair algae, more than enough to sustain an adult molly, but I understand them to be messy fish.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #4
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

The fishes that eat plants are omnivorous. Plants are hard to digest so they need to eat everything. Tiger barbs munch on plants, so do American Flagfish.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Bunfoo
Planted Tank Obsessed

No problem. I just need something that will eat a decent amount of plants, I can personally see to the other needs by feeding them if I need to and there'll be sources of live foods present as well.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
Lee04
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Sounds interesting! Have you made a journal thread about it yet?
Lee04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Oh, it depends on the plants too. Some are delicious, some not.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
Bunfoo
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not yet. The tank is still quite a ways from being put into action. I actually just bought it today. The first self-sustained tank I finished I haven't fed in months, have only done 2 water changes and all I really do is top off the water every few days. This new tank is 3x larger, but still small at 20 gallons. So there is a lot of planning for me to do before I jump into anything, though I will be "starting" it in a few days, though it will be largely boring as all I'll be doing is adding some copepods, snails, and growing hair algae and collecting pond/aquatic plants, and it'll remain that way for probably around 2 months before I add anything else.

I have discovered that keeping a tank on an indirect sunlight schedule with 3 hours of late-afternoon sunlight is more than enough light to grow plants healthy and not cause an algae farm. So I'll likely be working that same lighting schedule with this new tank, possibly adding an extra half-hour of light to make up for the new size.

I will consider putting up a journal for it though!