Green dot algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Rony11
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Green dot algae

I have the green dot algae problem since the first month of planting my tank.
If I dont clean the tank glass every week during water changes the green dot algae which is very annoying gets worse. It covers a big part of my aquarium glass. The strange part is that it appears only on the front glass and a few of the plant leaves (slow n fast growing).
I had a hair algae problem in the beginning but that disappeared after a month. My tank is 18 gallons, T5*24 W and T8 * 10W for 10 hours daily on timer. I have an external Tetratec 700 filter and Hailea chiller with external Eheim powerhead, tank temperature is 24 degrees (we're in spring season and the temperature outside is 32-34 degrees, in summer it goes up to 36-42 degrees on very hot days). My fish and plants look good no sudden diseases or deaths, I have 3 SAE's, Guppies, Henkle's rasbora's, nerite and pond snails. I have never used any algae killing chemicals in this tank since I set it up since 12/2011.

I take good care of my tank be it water changes RO every weekend, CO2 (solenoid regulator and atomizer), the plants are growing fast with vibrant colors, clean external filter every 3 months, dozing fertilizers, feed less n good quality food to my fish, snails as cleaners, etc.

I'm doing my best but this algae keeps on coming back its very annoying. I added 4 nerite snails who are doing a good job but 2 out of 4 died eventually may be of oldage. May be I'm missing something ? Guys can anyone help me understand what is exactly going on with this tank ?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Vs4MqLzO7DEcRmTrc4hgvxsL2QgXlHgQuQ2W1keFXCk?feat=d irectlink

Last edited by Rony11; 05-12-2012 at 08:25 AM..
Rony11 is offline   Reply With Quote