Fat Guy's ADA Iwagumi- moving across the country!! - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #121
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

After 5 days, things are looking good and the plants seem to be adjusting well. the water has cleared and the environment in the tank is a healthy one. I've been doing small water changes daily before the light goes on and am seeing some great results. dosing 1ml seachem potassium and .5ml seachem comprehensive after each water change. Thinking of getting some new fertilizers. Maybe try my hand at making some new outflow lily pipes. thanks for those that have been watching the progress of this tank. much love. el g

Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #122
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I loved your old tank but the new setup looks promising. As much as I enjoy scapes with hardscape early on, half the setups I have had didn't have any real hardscape and in the long run, they were more enjoyable from an day to day standpoint over a long period of time. Hopefully you feel the same as it progresses. I have been following your tanks size your Edge journal so I think this will be good
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #123
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

thanks matt. I totally dig what you are saying. I'm looking forward to the progress of this tank. and it's a nice break from the hardscapes I've done in the past. my edge right now is completely void of plants and has a pleasing river rock scape that I'm very happy with. I should snap a photo and update my edge journal. thanks for the comments. very excited to see how this one pans out.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #124
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

I like this shot.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #125
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

just an update. I've been narrowing down a better dosing regime. I'm dosing nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and seachem comprehensive. Dosing seachem nitrate at water change but not throughout the week (unless my levels drop too low). I've been routinely eyeing the nitrate and phosphate levels. I've been dosing at lights up: 4ml phosphorus, 2ml potassium, and 1ml comprehensive (for now...I've been honing in on a good daily routine). I broke out the test kits one day because I realized I was getting a good dose of green spot algae on some of my plant leaves and have been battling the occasional bba (I believe). And wouldn't you know it, but my nitrates were virtually zilch as well as my phoshate levels. cleaned the filter and the diffusor. installed the drop checker and what I thought was a good rate of 1bps actually had to be increased to around 1.75 bps to get the levels in the aquarium to balance out better. I've been paying more attention each morning to the tank and really feel like I've been benefiting from the dosing regime and have a better control on the algae. I've been trying my best to make the adjustments slowly and things seem to be working well. Here are some photos. The algae on the blade of hairgrass (which I cut) I believe is BBA. Would you agree? I've been raising the lily pipes at night to get a better gas exchange in the water with some o2 and feel like it's having a positive affect. by morning the drop checker is back to blue. Here are some photos. Good growth in the past month. Haven't cut the hairgrass at all yet. going to wait until I can control what I think is BBA before I give it a good trim. I should also be pruning the rotala soon. Any recommendations? Should I snip and replant the propogated pieces or snip and discard the taller stems? any thoughts on trimming. A good sign with the addition of phosphorus is that there has not been any new GSA emerging on the leaves (especially on the echinodorus). I've been enjoying the change of pace with this tank and think that the plant combination is really pretty. Best to all for looking. -el g

BBA?

hard working pond snail

drop checker with fresh solution

finally nitrates (around 40ppm)

my new bubble counter

and some of the tank...

pearling plants and some happy fish
I made my own custom top of this tank. The glass I had purchased from across the street was of poor quality. this is a 3/4" piece of plexiglass that I had cut in SOHO. Hasn't bowed one bit. I wonder if it reduces any of the light on the tank. regardless, keeps fish jumping to a minimum and "cat-paw-fishing" a thing of the past. It may also be bullet proof...yahtzee
Old 04-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #126
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

updated trim. staghorn seems to only exist on the sections of hairgrass that are not flourishing. Dialing in a better dosing regime. Getting closer to an EI dosing regime. the most limiting nutrient seems to be phosphate in this tank. I've upped the co2 to 2bps and am keeping a close eye on the fauna. But I've been making gradual increases in co2 and fertilizer so as to not shock the current system. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that after the hairgrass trim the staghorn does not get out of control. I've been waiting to trim the hairgrass for awhile and finally pulled the trigger today. giving the tank about a .5" bed of hairgrass. I'm considering getting an ada outflow lily pipe or tinkering again at the acrylic bending with the heat gun. My water flow seems to be primarily at the upper level of the tank and I want it to be a little deeper. I clean the diffusor every three weeks or so with bleach to keep it functioning properly. seems to be working well.

Dosing regime after water change:
2ml seachem nitrogen
8ml seachem phosphorus
3ml seachem potassium
3ml seachem comprehensive.

Then daily dosage of:
4ml phosphorus
2ml potassium
2ml comprehensive
0ml nitrogen (levels are around 40ppm throughout the week so I haven't been dosing as often)

I know the API tests are the not the most accurate, but they are giving me a better, albeit rough understanding of what's happening in the water column. Here are the photo updates:

before trim (a very focused observer)

drop checker success after 4.5/5 hours

nitrate, phosphate, ammonia (tap water, tank water, distilled water...I was getting a slight ammonia reading last week from my tap water). currently 0 ammonia in the tank...so I think

late afternoon sunlight. good hairgrass growth on this end of the tank near the diffusor. strange enough, this is where the staghorn is the most present...near the diffusor.

side angle

trim trim trim

lookin good and growin'

BEFORE

AFTER (ONE MONTH)

thanks for looking. -el g

Last edited by Fat Guy; 04-10-2012 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: spelling
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #127
radioman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I love simple tank like this.
Canon Pimp Club #012
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #128
DanW11
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking great man, that hairgrass carpet is going like gangbusters! Are you planning on continuing with this kind are pruing to keep lots of open space? I love the contrast of a dense carpet with a lot of open space above.
DanW11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #129
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

Really nice, I like this style!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #130
dtum
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

BEFORE

AFTER (ONE MONTH)

thanks for looking. -el g[/QUOTE]

Very nice progress, I've been following your thread for the longest time. Have you considered an in-line diffuser, what are your thoughts on that? One less piece of equipment in a tank should be a good thing.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #131
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for all the comments!! I really like the simplicity of the layout and this kind of style too. Ideally I'd like for the echinodorus to get much bigger so that it can balance out the look of the dhg when the dhg gets longer. only time will tell though. I would very much like to find a cool stone to put in there too, but my wife enjoys the different types of plants and so do I for the time being. just need to get an upper hand on the staghorn.

dtum, I at one point had built an inline diffusor for this tank, roughly based off of the rex grigg reactor. But I don't think it was diffusing the co2 as well as I thought it was. My HC at the time started to pull up in some sections and seemed to lose its deep roots. I am thinking about giving it another shot though. Maybe purchase one online that's a little more compact. That may be an investment I'd be willing to make. Thanks again all. Looking forward to where this layout goes next. On a side note. The echinodorus that I have in the tank (not exactly sure which specific echinodorus it is) but it's leaves have changed to a deep maroon. They were all green when I purchased it. It's a pretty contrast. Again, best to all and thanks for the comments. -el g

Last edited by Fat Guy; 04-10-2012 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: spelling
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #132
radioman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Does natural sunlight hit your tank? That was causing some staghorn in my tank and it was all growing on the sides of the plants that faced my window.
Canon Pimp Club #012
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #133
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Does natural sunlight hit your tank? That was causing some staghorn in my tank and it was all growing on the sides of the plants that faced my window.
there is some direct sunlight that hits the tank right after the lights go out. It's for about 40minutes at sundown. I hadn't thought about that but you may be on to something. I've had the tank in the same spot for over a year, but maybe due to the poor water conditions I was experiencing, the additional sunlight may be making the staghorn more prevalent. I'll keep an eye on it. thanks!!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #134
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Went back to the rocks after giving the echinodorus a run for it's money. I need to get my hands on some more aquasoil. The last setup really gave me a better understanding of my water quality. I find this setup much easier to maintain. purchased a brine shrimp net which makes cleaning after trimming much easier. snapped the below photo today with an iphone. Best, el g

Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #135
FlyingGiraffes
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

New rock looks nice! Looks like you're due for a trim soon.
FlyingGiraffes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ada, iwagumi, lily, mini m

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.