Question about CO2 bubble counter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
istellas
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Question about CO2 bubble counter

Hi all,

I had the Nutrafin CO2 plant system with the Hagen ladder. Recently I bought pressurised CO2 and kept the ladder for CO2 diffusion. Yesterday I recieved the Dupla bubble counter I had ordered 3 weeks ago So now the bubbles pass through the dupla counter and enter the aquarium through the Hagen ladder.
I have a 160lt aquarium and as I had read in some threads here, I had adjusted the CO2 so I could have about 60 bpm counted at the Hagen ladder. I readjusted the CO2 and the difference with the dupla counter is the following: 40bpm from the Hagen are equal to 65bpm from Dupla.
So which bubble counter should I use for my adjustment? The Dupla or the Hagen? I know that the ammount of CO2 is the same whichever bubble counter I use as the volume is the same. What I think is to messure the CO2 through the pH/kH table and then readjust the CO2 with whichever bubble counter I like.
Does anyone of you have used a dupla bubble counter with a about 160lt aquarium, so you can tell me how many dupla bubbles per minute should I have?

Thanx
Eheim Pimp Club #158

istellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
JeffB
Algae Grower

istellas

Forget about the bubbles. They are only to give you a rough approximation of the flow rate of the CO2. Use the PH and KH reading of your aquarium to measure and target 30 ppm of CO2.

P.S. I think most people (myself included) use a bubble counter because our CO2 is injecting into an inline reactor where we cannot see any bubbles. If you are using the ladder, that is the bubble counter.

Jeff B
29gallon - AH Supply 1X55w 5500K, 1X13w Red (Night) CP -- pressurized C02, milwaukee regulator, DIY inline C02 Reactor -- Rena XP1
----------------------------------------
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Echinodorus Uruguayensis "Amazon Sword"
Bacopa monnieri "moneywort"
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''brown''
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green''
Hygrophila Difformis “Water Wisteria”
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:57 PM   #3
istellas
Algae Grower

Jeff thanx for your answer.

Actually I am planning of making an inline reactor in the next couple of months...
I asked that because I had used some black peat in the filter and everybody told me that I had to remove it, make 500% WC (not all in one ), because it is affecting the CO2 readings. I have made all these things but I am not sure if my meassurements are now accurate by getting the pH/kH numbers.

Thanx again, that's what I had thought of doing.

Eheim Pimp Club #158

istellas is offline   Reply With Quote