Emergent Photo Journal - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #166
wabisabi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)

Good job on the raingutters.

Did the mother Piptospatha already have 2 shoots? Is that two keiki in the first photo? One near the rim of the pot and another coming directly off the mother?

Still waiting for mine to propagate.
wabisabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #167
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabisabi View Post
Good job on the raingutters.

Did the mother Piptospatha already have 2 shoots? Is that two keiki in the first photo? One near the rim of the pot and another coming directly off the mother?

Still waiting for mine to propagate.
Glad to see this is how they propogate, I've been waiting to see how mine would multiply, it has tons of roots and throws a new leaf every week or two so it must like it's home. My bakoa is growing fast as well and will be moved to my terrarium soon.

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #168
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (112/99%)

Got new plants earlier this week but didnt get a chance to plant them until now. I'll get some better photos later once potted. there are some sp that are pretty hard to track down.

They are mostly crypts and two lagenandra collected from india. Specie is not confirmed but it appears to be meeboldi at first glance. But then again, the leaves are only 1/4 the size of the l. meeboldi I used to grow.

looking4roselines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #169
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

New crypts after planting

Experimenting with charcoal on c bullosa. Already sent a second leaf. This plant was planted about a little over a month.

Xue
Old 04-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #170
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Jeesh man. I have total Crypt jealousy now. Nice plants bro.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #171
wabisabi
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm jelly too. Especially for that thwaitesii!

Have you had any luck finding C. dewittii?

Where'd you get the charcoal idea?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #172
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabisabi View Post
I'm jelly too. Especially for that thwaitesii!

Have you had any luck finding C. dewittii?

Where'd you get the charcoal idea?
I saw the charcoal idea from a Japanese blog.
No luck on the dewitti. I'll trade you with any crypt or buce I have in my collection if you can find one of these guys.

Xue
Old 05-06-2012, 02:16 AM   #173
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

C striolata bloomed today
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336270491.987136.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	46934

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336270504.205721.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	46935

This Anubias was grown in extremely low humidity. I was aiming to to see if I can convert it into a house plant. It has been over 6 hours after it was taken out of the emersed set up and it has not wilted yet. We'll see how this goes.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336270578.636531.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	46936

Xue
Old 05-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #174
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Beautiful crypts, awesome on the spathe and good luck on the Anubias.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #175
wabisabi
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice! That striolata looks nice and healthy. Sure doesn't look like you were struggling with it!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #176
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

The green house build is now officially work in progress. I spent the entire weekend cleaning the clutter in the back yard and finally cleared the space I needed. I relocated the tool shed hauled the remaining beach pebbles that were sitting next to the shed. Size is at least going to be 20X10 feet.

Went window shopping yesterday, literally. I found two good size windows from a "bone yard" for a great deal at $100 ea. These are brand new dual glare vinyl framed windows that were left over from different construction projects. It's a 4x4' and a 4x5'. Sizes are different but it has the same height so I am not too concerned. I do plan on getting another 4x5' from the hardware store.

Here are some preliminary planning on shading, cooling, humidity etc. The greenhouse will house mostly orchids, crypts, buce, and other aroids. For the shade cloth, I plan on getting a 50% shade cloth to cover the clear corrugated roof and the sides.

To maintain the humidity, I plan on using pea size gravel as the ground cover and setup a swamp cooler. I'll also setup a diy mister (or a mist king) that will run intermittently throughout the day.

For air movement, I might setup a few solar fans that will draw cold air from under the foundation into the greenhouse through the foundation vents. This would help keep my foundation dry and provide cool air for the greenhouse. I also ordered two automatic window openers that would open to a certain angle when the temperature rises to a certain degree. When it's cool, the windows will automatically close to keep the heat in.

I am not sure what I need to do for heating yet. Might get a natural gas heater. I'll need suggestions or some inputs on this.

To prevent fungus, mold, or algae from growing on the inner walls, is there a spray or specific paint that will prevent these type of things?

I am not 100% set on these so let me know your thoughts. If anything does not appear to be feasible, I would greatly appreciate it if you can point me into the right direction.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #177
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336435795.553764.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	47032
Here is a before photo
I'll try to keep this updated as things progress.

A concrete curb will be poured for the wall. This is to prevent water from coming in during the rain and I can use this as a storage shed if I decide to shut down the green house.

Xue
Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #178
toksyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4roselines View Post
The green house build is now officially work in progress. I spent the entire weekend cleaning the clutter in the back yard and finally cleared the space I needed. I relocated the tool shed hauled the remaining beach pebbles that were sitting next to the shed. Size is at least going to be 20X10 feet.

Went window shopping yesterday, literally. I found two good size windows from a "bone yard" for a great deal at $100 ea. These are brand new dual glare vinyl framed windows that were left over from different construction projects. It's a 4x4' and a 4x5'. Sizes are different but it has the same height so I am not too concerned. I do plan on getting another 4x5' from the hardware store.

Here are some preliminary planning on shading, cooling, humidity etc. The greenhouse will house mostly orchids, crypts, buce, and other aroids. For the shade cloth, I plan on getting a 50% shade cloth to cover the clear corrugated roof and the sides.

To maintain the humidity, I plan on using pea size gravel as the ground cover and setup a swamp cooler. I'll also setup a diy mister (or a mist king) that will run intermittently throughout the day.

For air movement, I might setup a few solar fans that will draw cold air from under the foundation into the greenhouse through the foundation vents. This would help keep my foundation dry and provide cool air for the greenhouse. I also ordered two automatic window openers that would open to a certain angle when the temperature rises to a certain degree. When it's cool, the windows will automatically close to keep the heat in.

I am not sure what I need to do for heating yet. Might get a natural gas heater. I'll need suggestions or some inputs on this.

To prevent fungus, mold, or algae from growing on the inner walls, is there a spray or specific paint that will prevent these type of things?

I am not 100% set on these so let me know your thoughts. If anything does not appear to be feasible, I would greatly appreciate it if you can point me into the right direction.
I don't think you should have too many problems with mold / fungus as long as you keep air movement going. When you have stagnant, saturated air is when you'll get fungal blooms.

As for algae though . . . try not to keep surfaces constantly wet.

Honestly though, I'd be more afraid of snails / slugs than algae.
toksyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #179
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

I am trying to keep it as dry and cool as I can.

My main concern is keeping the temp below 90 during the So Cal heat waves where it could reach up to 110-115. Since crypts are more prone to melting in warm temperatures, I am going to do an experimental run on some of them this summer before bringing everything out. If all goes well, they're all coming out in the fall.

I also have aphids in my emersed setups and I have no doubt that they will get into the greenhouse. Any thoughts on how to keep them under control? pitcher plants? lady bugs?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:42 AM   #180
toksyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4roselines View Post
I am trying to keep it as dry and cool as I can.

My main concern is keeping the temp below 90 during the So Cal heat waves where it could reach up to 110-115. Since crypts are more prone to melting in warm temperatures, I am going to do an experimental run on some of them this summer before bringing everything out. If all goes well, they're all coming out in the fall.

I also have aphids in my emersed setups and I have no doubt that they will get into the greenhouse. Any thoughts on how to keep them under control? pitcher plants? lady bugs?
Ladybugs absolutely destroy aphids. You could also try garlic spray.
toksyn is online now   Reply With Quote