eco complete at petco - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > Other Websites

Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #31
Calmia22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
I have zero need for any more eco-complete ... is it bad that I'm thinking about starting up an old 55g tank again just because I can get Eco-Complete for such a good price?? I'm so torn ...

Lol awesome. I have a 40B that I can't even set up... no room Otherwise I would have ordered more...
Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,
75 Gallon High Tech
Calmia22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #32
Keyboard Aquatics
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Whoa, I can tell you They are losing money on shipping these at that price.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #33
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (402/100%)

Bulk shipping rates + wholesale cost = profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboard Aquatics View Post
Whoa, I can tell you They are losing money on shipping these at that price.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 AM   #34
cameron
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

It isn't bad to set up another tank just because it is cheap. I ordered 100# and don't even have another tank.
cameron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #35
Keyboard Aquatics
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Bulk shipping rates + wholesale cost = profit.

Having negotiated with big chain stores I understand how their purchase power reflects a substantial savings over the average distributors purchasing power.

But your equation lacks a number of cost inducing loads. Honestly, that deal was one of those hot buys that are good for the hobbyist.

I get wholesale pricing on substrates to include CaribSea. But without a substantial discount from USPS or in my FedEx Ground rate, the price of our substrates gets wonky when we ship.

I am an audiophile and check a number of websites looking for deals like this. I love getting good deals. But like others here, I now have a closet full of good deals I may never get around to using.

Ed
California end of Keyboard Aquatics
Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 AM   #36
~~~
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

See, they got you guys to do what they wanted you to do...
They got you to buy it... for no apparent reason(even w/o a tank).

Wow, marketing is easy
~~~ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #37
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (402/100%)

Not trying to argue. But mega retailers typically have better wholesale rates and negotiation power than the average reseller or mom-n-pop shop. Same goes for shipping. Those large retailers also tend to have product stored in multiple distribution centers - often operated by carriers themselves or in close partnership with carriers like UPS.

Which is, as you mentioned, great for the average hobbyist (and even hoarders like us). Especially when it comes to shipping. I've learned that over the years in my own business. Once you ship enough with a particular carrier (USPS included), you have a lot more room for negotiation. I.E., I can ship a huge amount of product from my office with UPS for maybe $20-$25. If I was shipping as an individual or smaller business, it'd cost me easily $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboard Aquatics View Post
Having negotiated with big chain stores I understand how their purchase power reflects a substantial savings over the average distributors purchasing power.

But your equation lacks a number of cost inducing loads. Honestly, that deal was one of those hot buys that are good for the hobbyist.

I get wholesale pricing on substrates to include CaribSea. But without a substantial discount from USPS or in my FedEx Ground rate, the price of our substrates gets wonky when we ship.

I am an audiophile and check a number of websites looking for deals like this. I love getting good deals. But like others here, I now have a closet full of good deals I may never get around to using.

Ed
California end of Keyboard Aquatics
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #38
cameron
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

~~~, I get your point, I guess, but it sounds like you assume the only reason we purchased was because the market said we should. Maybe I go too far. I, however, am in the early stages of a 240 gallon plan. I don't have the tank, but I will. I can fund this much now. Maybe the deal won't be around when I need the rest of it, so at least I saved some ducats on part of it. Doesn't mean you were wrong, since maybe it will be cheaper later, but I took a chance. If you are in the market for EC, this is a good deal. If you don't need it now, it might still be a good deal.
cameron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.