Breeding Celestial Pearl Danios - Help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
moodycm

PTrader: (0/0%)

Breeding Celestial Pearl Danios - Help!

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone on here can help me...

I have 12 Celestial Pearl Danios in my community tank, they go a little shy when i walk in the room but apart from that they seem pretty happy and swim about in the open water. I've done a lot of research about breeding them and most people say it's pretty easy, but when I move 3 (two females and a male) to a breeding tank, they suddenly go very shy and barely move in the tank, just find a spot and hide. I just wondered if anyone's found a better method for breeding them? I don't think they'll breed in my main tank, and if they did, the other fish would eat the eggs.

I was considering using something like a large deep bucket or plastic container (with at least as large a volume as my breeding tank) and putting the heater/filter etc in there with lots of plants and all 12 of the CPDs and see how they do in that. Maybe leave them in for a week then remove them and see if any fry appear? The idea being that they'll have some privacy and won't be spooked by people coming in and out the room etc, almost in their own little secluded world? I'm not sure if that would be ok for them/would work?

Any help/advice would be appreciated, I've tried an egg trap in the community tank too with no luck.

cheers!
moodycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
MChambers
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yes, that should work. I've had good results putting the CPDs in a tank by themselves for a week, with lots of moss, and then removing them.
MChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
MrBrongher
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Hi. I'm no expert, but I have successfully been spawning and rearing these fish in a 40 long for a couple of years now, so this is what works for me.

Tank mates are albino bristlenose plecos and assassin snails. I recently added some neon blue rasboras and I'm pretty sure that hasn't bothered them.

The tank has a canister filter, not too much current and tons of water sprite and java fern. I cleared the water sprite out once and I didn't see any fry until I put it back in, so the tank is really a mess. I don't know if they were nervous without lots of cover, or if the fry need it for hiding, or if they feed off of whatever grows on it. Maybe a combination of all of that.

I feed them microworms, almost exclusively. Occasionally they get crushed flake, freeze dried daphnia or my homemade food, but they seem to like the microworms best. The fry eat them too. If you've never tried microworms I recommend them. They are very easy to propagate, and cheap.

I used to fish them out and raise them in a 5 gallon, but I was grabbing 3 or 4 every few days and they were sort of a pain to catch, and I lost a few of them. In hindsight I probably should have stuffed their little tank with plants too. At any rate I just leave them in now and the adults don't bother them.

So that's what I do. I would think that if you put them in a bucket crammed with plants and good food you'd have good results. As to them being shy, mine have learned to approach me and look for worms, but it might also be that my population is all tank raised now; I'm not really one for micro managing my fish so if a little guy dies I'll often have no idea, so all of my store bought guys might be long gone.

If you do try the bucket I'd be prepared to leave them in a good while to settle in- I never had any success with a separate spawning tank.
MrBrongher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
moodycm

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go! Thanks for all the extra tips too, I might give the microworms a go, sounds pretty good!
moodycm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celestial pearl danio, celestial pearl danios, cpd, cpds