Filter hoses cleaning themselves, why?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-18-2005, 03:34 AM   #1
random_alias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Filter hoses cleaning themselves, why?

I know that when filter hoses get "dirty" a lot of that is probably bacteria growth. I also know that people clean their hose from time to time to keep flow optimal. In the last two weeks I have noticed something...my filter hose has almost completely cleared up, all on it's own. I haven't cleaned the filter or the hoses.

What could cause this to happen and is it a sign of something good about my tank or something bad? Does the balance and establishment of a tank have anything to do with hoses clearing up on their own? I've never really heard this aspect being discussed. It seems to always have been "My hoses are turning brown, what do I do?" conversations.
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 01:50 AM   #2
pizza snob

PTrader: (0/0%)

My Eheim Pro 2026 came with green tubing for input and output of my cannister filter. I noticed about 4 months in that the tubes were becoming brown. I considered cleaning them but though the bacteria might be good and helping turn the nitrites into nitrate so was afraid to. It has been 9 months and it seems they have gone back to being green by themselves again. I myself would like to know if these hoses should be cleaned every few months. Does that help or hurt?
pizza snob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 02:02 AM   #3
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default build up and flow rate

A small amount of build up inside a tube will dramatically decrease flow. The bacteria in the tubes is helping with biological filtration.

So, if the buildup suddenly goes away, it may be that the tank sees a lack of biofiltration, or maybe the increased flow makes up for that.

The stuff that fell off the tubing went somewhere. What was in the input tube stopped inside the filter, what was in the output tube went into the tank. You may need to now clean the filter and do a water change.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2005, 02:38 AM   #4
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Wow...I just cleaned out my tubes tonight! My new 2026 had a whitish-light brown layer of gunk that started with small spots and slowly covered the inside of the tubing. No reduction in flow, but bits and pieces would fly off and end up in my co2 reactor or get blown out into the tank.

I've noticed that this is common with brand new tubing. My old tubing rarely gets any buildup at all.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:58 AM   #5
random_alias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

I find this interesting. Glad to see it isn't just me experiencing it. Not that I'm complaining that my hoses cleaned themselves

Now if I could just get my filter to do this...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.