Lights or CO2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-14-2003, 07:57 PM   #1
Ewan

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm quite new too the plant thing. I have had tanks for about 5 year. I am amazed at the tanks on this forum. I was wondering if you could tell me what is more important Lighting or CO2.
I have a trigon 190 with Amason swords and Valis. The lighting is pretty poor and i only have 2 18 watt interpet tritons with reflectors. I don't realy want to go down the road, and expense of Metal Halide lamps at the moment. Would a basic CO2 kit help with plant growth or am i wasting my time? Your help is much appreciated.
Ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2003, 08:30 PM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'm not sure what a trigon 190 is, am I correct in assuming it's a 190 lter tank? If thats the case that would translate to about 45 gals. 36 watts of light on a 45 gallon tank is barely enough light to view the fish on a dark night :lol: You have no chance of growing any plants with so little light.

In your case I would say light should be your primary concern at this time. Right now you only have 0.8 watts per gallon of light. As a bare minimum its been my experience and that of most others that 2 WPG (watts per gallon) would be a minimum for growing plants with the exception of a very few. Most people shoot for about 3 WPG.

CO2 is equally important to grow healthy plants. Light and CO2 work hand in hand to grow healthy plants. There is a minimum of light required but as light increases so does the need for CO2.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 08:43 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I'd definitely agree, regardless of what 190 stands for (liters or gallons), you need to shoot for 2wpg and then take care of CO2 supplementation later.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:45 PM   #4
aquatic-store.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lights ist definitely then the co2 you are @ the lowest level most of the plants can survive.
Co2 supplies Largest on the net.
Dupla substrate heaters
http://www.water-testers.com.com
<p>Enter the 2005 Photo contest and win lighting, co2 supplies and more. </p>

http://www.aquatic-store.com/index2.html
aquatic-store.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 09:48 AM   #5
Ewan

Sorry guys its a 190 lt corner tank. I though as much about the lighting. Thanks for your help.
Ewan is offline   Reply With Quote