New Plants today (150 G) New Algae! - Page 50
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #736
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Thanks guys, and it's S. porto velho. I still have tons of algae (not as bad) but I'm just keeping you distracted with equipment but it's been a lot of fun putting it all together now I just need some tanks.

I did pick up a bag of Amazonia for $25 today at the GWAPA auction so I'm so anxious to try it after all these years and I know I'll be hooked.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #737
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I actually produced 5 or 6 gallon of RO water late this afternoon but my pressure seems to be low so I got side tracked messing with my well tank but I should have most of the kinks worked out by tomorrow, I can already see things I need to add to make life easier, like valves, etc.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #738
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
I still have tons of algae (not as bad)
You got any plecos? If so what kind and how many? I'm lovin' what my 3 plecos have done in just a couple of months. Still have algae and probably always will. Even Tom Barr admits to some, but aptly deals with it and has an excellent 24/7 clean up crew constantly working on it.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #739
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

No I don't have any although I like them, but even the small ones are too large for my taste with 4" being about the smallest I've seen, I tried some Shrimp and a Nerite but eventually my fish just eat them, the Nerite had to be 3/4" and only lasted 10 to 14 days, so the Kribs and Dwarf Chain Loaches need to go before any small cleaners can be added. I am working on the algae by adjusting my lighting and C02 and it's making a difference but I'll make an adjustment and wait 2 or 3 weeks to see the outcome. Years ago I used a split photo period thinking that the tropics always get dark and rainy for and hour in the afternoon and it worked really good, so I should just go back to that.

I got my pressure right on the RO unit, 70 psi and I actually had to reduce it from 90 psi, it seems to be working well so far.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #740
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I have a albino bristle nose, rubber lip/nose and a marbled/spotted sailfin. The first two get up to 5", but the last one gets 18". He sure was small and cute when I got him on impulse at the LFS LOL. They cleaned up that black algae that no one else would touch.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #741
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I'm too focused on getting this RO setup figured out to think about much else but I would like a pleco tank one day and I like the Long Finned Albino Bristle Nosed Pleco L144 except the name is too long and I also really like the Queen Arabesque Pleco L260 but so far these two are what I would like in another tank.

Today I got the pressure right and let the tank fill 5 inches over the bulkhead fitting and no leaks, not a drop. Then I adjusted the pressure cut-off switch so the float would kill the booster pump and water flow quickly, done. Now all I need to make the system complete are 2 more ball valve, one to keep water from running back wards into the drain tube and a second valve that I can use as a faucet, this will work great for filling small buckets and for using the pump that's already in the tank to mix trace minerals if needed, I would like a little larger holding tank if I can find the right deal and those plier type tubing cutters make these changes so easy.

After I got 25 gallons of water in the tank today I pulled out my key fob and pumped it all into the front lawn, it worked great and only took 5 minutes so now I have only super clean water in the tank.

I need to get my water mixing figured out because I would like to use RO water this Wednesday, I need to get my tap water tested by someone with good equipment so I know exactly what I have, I guess I put it on the gwapa forum and see if I can get some help locally.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #742
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I've been rushing around all week trying to get this RO system finish and today I got to use it and it worked perfectly, the water was pumped into the tank at about the same speed as the faucet, the water temperature was spot on but there is no pearling like when you use tap water, I guess it is gassed out after sitting.

I also got a few new fish and plants this week, a Narrow leaf Java Fern, Ludwigia Glandulosa, Anubias Barteri Nana Petite, and some Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' which kind of reminds me of Riccia in the way it takes over but I guess I'll see as it grows. The fish are Tiger Hillstream Loaches and I think I got lucky and got a male and female, here's some pics.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #743
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Looking good

Love the hillstream loaches - so much character in such a little fish. In your tank they will make territories and try to top any bottom feeding fish that enters. They have no teeth so it's all about bluff, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I've been rushing around all week trying to get this RO system finish and today I got to use it and it worked perfectly, the water was pumped into the tank at about the same speed as the faucet, the water temperature was spot on but there is no pearling like when you use tap water, I guess it is gassed out after sitting.

I also got a few new fish and plants this week, a Narrow leaf Java Fern, Ludwigia Glandulosa, Anubias Barteri Nana Petite, and some Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' which kind of reminds me of Riccia in the way it takes over but I guess I'll see as it grows. The fish are Tiger Hillstream Loaches and I think I got lucky and got a male and female, here's some pics.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #744
Jeff5614
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I also got a few new fish and plants this week, a Narrow leaf Java Fern, Ludwigia Glandulosa, Anubias Barteri Nana Petite, and some Hydrocotyle tripartita 'Japan' which kind of reminds me of Riccia in the way it takes over /IMG]
Hey, the tank is looking good. I really like Hydrocotyle japan, nice looking and easy to grow I've read. I added some recently but I can't find it, lol, Lilaeopsis seems to have swallowed it up so I'm eager to see how yours does.
Jeff5614 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 04:26 AM   #745
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundragon View Post
Looking good

Love the hillstream loaches - so much character in such a little fish. In your tank they will make territories and try to top any bottom feeding fish that enters. They have no teeth so it's all about bluff, lol.
Thanks sundragon I used to have around 10 Hillstreams and 4 different species and I loved to watch them but they are getting harder to find with so many of the good LFS closing, I got these at HOT and they had some nice Electric Blue Rams, RCS, and a few other items that are new for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Hey, the tank is looking good. I really like Hydrocotyle japan, nice looking and easy to grow I've read. I added some recently but I can't find it, lol, Lilaeopsis seems to have swallowed it up so I'm eager to see how yours does.
Thanks Jeff, I wanted to use it to highlight the deep tones of the Wentii tropica and make them stand out, so after it takes hold I will try to trim it low and see if it will fill in around the Crypts. I find little 3 leaf clovers floating all the time so I guessing you haven't seen the last of it unless it doesn't like your water conditions.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #746
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Here a pic of the finished product, I added a couple more valves so I could add a faucet to fill small containers for use in smaller tanks and it allows me to mix the gH booster by just cycling the tank. I do have to be present and flip a couple valve to do a water change but I wanted that way, I just don't trust a $10 float when it comes to flooding my house and with this system it just so easy anyway. So far my tds is zero pre DI unit but as you can see there is some junk in my water the sediment filter on the left is already brown after a 110 gallons of water, which is actually 550 gallon including the waste water, but it is working great and the water is pre heated and there's a full tank waiting by the next morning, so if your consider a unit 75 gpd is fairly quick and has the best rejection rates too.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #747
JoeDizzleMPLS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)

Tank is looking great and I'm digging the RO setup
JoeDizzleMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #748
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Dizzle, I'm like it too!!! I went out to fill a clean 1 gallon water carton and after you turn the pump on you have about 2 or 3 seconds to find the off button or your getting wet.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #749
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Congrats on finishing off the RO system and getting it all dialed in. Great adds, love the loaches
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #750
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Nice unit man.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.