Advice and Help wanted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-18-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
p666ter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to p666ter Send a message via Yahoo to p666ter
Question

Advice and Help wanted

Hello to everyone, I am a novice and a new member to this site. First off, I live in New York City. I got started in the hobby about two years ago,55 gallons, moderate lighting and fully planted tank with eco-complete substrate. I recently went to the brooklyn Aquatic society meeting for the Jack wately lecture on Dicus breeding. I bought a couple of rainbows and recived the latest issue of Tropical Fish. I have always had in interst in planted tank but due to financial constraints i was never able to do anything close to a show tank. There was an article on Takaski Amano show tank and i fell in love with it and now i am looking to duplicate or at least try come close to having the same thing. My budget is very low but with so much experince hobbist and i am looking for guidance . First off i am looking for a tank witht the dimesions of 24x72x24, Acrylic or Glass whatever would be cheaper. I am going big because i dont want to have too many tanks in my place . I read about building my own tank but i dont think i can do it by myself.Can anyone on this board recommed a anyone or a place locally who can put together an acrylicor glass tank together for me. I will have the acrylic or glass cut and supply everything , i just need someone who has done this before. I could experiment but acrylic/glass is expensive and 180 gallons of water is allot to have to clean up if its not done properly. This is step one, I will also need advcie on lighting and so forth, so all advcie is welcomed. Thank you all
p666ter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Welcome to the board! If you're on a limited budget, are you sure you want to start with a 180g tank? For an estimate, many state to figure $20 per gallan to get an initial tank up and running. That's about what I put into my 46g...around $1000 in the first year. So, for a 180g, you're likely over $3K. If you can swing that, then go for it. But, just for planning purposes.

Please head over to www.rexgrigg.com and spend some time reading and thinking through Rex's planted tank FAQ. LOTS of good data in a concise, straight-forward format.

There are a number of NYC folks on the boards, so once you get to that point, they can likely point you to decent sources up in the city.

Best of luck!
Brian.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:53 PM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Another thing to consider is if your floor will take that much weight.

And there is no cheap way to go with a tank that size. At a minimum it's going to run $2000, and I think that would be pretty hard to accomplish.

Just tank, stand, lights, heaters, filters, CO2 system is going to make a huge hole in a $2000 budget. And you still don't have any substrate, nutrients, plants or livestock.

Personally I would go with a smaller tank.

Another thing to consider is if you can reach the back bottom of a tank that size. Having to don a snorkel to work in the tank tends to lead to neglect of said tank. I'm 6'2" and a tank that size would have to be on a pretty low stand for me to be able to reach the back corner of the tank with my hand. One thing to consider is that many deodorants are harmful to aquatic life. So if you need to submerge your pits to get work in the tank done you will have to plan accordingly.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2005, 10:11 PM   #4
p666ter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to p666ter Send a message via Yahoo to p666ter
Default Advice and Help wanted

That certainly gives me allot to think about , but i am planning on cuttiing cost by possibly having the tank built ,but after your adivce maybe 180 is a tad too much. I dont want to get crazy like my friend who started out with one tank and nop wis living room has 6 tanks that's why i opted to go big.

" Am i crazy or foolish to have such a loftly goal, Who knows, maybe"
p666ter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

I doubt you will save money have the tank custom built. That size tank is actually a standard size in the All Glass brand. But the tank alone weighs 282 lbs. A Tenecor acrylic tank in the same size runs $929 just for the tank.

Going to get really expensive real quick.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2005, 12:51 AM   #6
timr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

my advise would be to start with a tank that is 3 feet long. That way later when you have the money for a bigger (6 ft) tank, you can still use the lighting. And oversize the things that you can. For instance get a 10lb co2 tank instead of a 5lb tank because the cost difference is like $10....etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.