Older Nikon body for a photo newb?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Older Nikon body for a photo newb?

Friend of mine is really wanting to get in to photography and wants a DSLR but has little money. I suggested an older used body. So I was looking around and I found the following bodies for very close to the same price...just looking for thoughts on which would be the better ones to consider...

D40
D50
D70 - Had one...nice little camera.
D70S
D80 - Had one, loved it, might be just out of his budget, it's the most expensive one on the list.
D100
D3000
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Go for the D40, awesome little camera! Cheap too, you can find them for like $250 for the body, maybe $300 with a kit lens. I had one as a walk around camera for a while, I really enjoyed it....
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
zdnet
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Friend of mine is really wanting to get in to photography and wants a DSLR but has little money. I suggested an older used body. So I was looking around and I found the following bodies for very close to the same price...just looking for thoughts on which would be the better ones to consider...

D40
D50
D70 - Had one...nice little camera.
D70S
D80 - Had one, loved it, might be just out of his budget, it's the most expensive one on the list.
D100
D3000
Note that D40, D50, and D3000 do NOT support commander mode with their built-in flash. The rest in your list do.
zdnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
FinalJenemba
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Skip the D100 and the mini Nikons. The D80 is worth over the others by a mile. Is there any way he can swing a D200? It can save money in the long ring since it can meter classic glass...
FinalJenemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Yeah, I don't think he can or will go for the D200. I had one and I thought it was fantastic. I know the D80 is great too but I don't know if he will spring for that. We are both college students so things are a little tight with cash, good thing is we graduate in a few weeks so with a bit of luck, he'll be working at a good job soon and will be able to afford the nicer camera.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Mr. Appleton
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

Biggest thing to consider here may be what kind of lenses you're going to be running with. Of note, the D40 doesn't have an in-camera motor so you would be limited to AF-S lenses if you want auto-focus or having to learn how to manual focus/meter. Personally, I think it's a great exercise that'll help you're understanding of exposure and composition a great deal, but it's a decision that you'll have to make yourself as it'll significantly influence what kind of lenses you can buy.

I started with the D40 and used it for a couple of years quite happily before I upgraded. It's super compact and quite proficient at what it does. Just need to consider that it doesn't have a motor.
Mr. Appleton is offline   Reply With Quote