New tank, new algae outbreak. Please help, gurus!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Blah4Life
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

New tank, new algae outbreak. Please help, gurus!

My 55g NPT has been up and running for 12 days. I have 2 t5ho's (10000k) running for 12hrs a day. I know the light is on the high side, but my thinking was that if I started at 12hrs I would be able to jumpstart the plant growth to help the plants take root fast, and out-compete the algae. Plant growth is actually pretty good. I'm seeing fast grow on my stem plants and my swords. Even the Anubias is showing new leaves.

I have a few small fish and some snails in the tank, which I thought would also help to keep the algae at bay. But the last couple of days I am starting to see a spread of hair algae and another type of algae that is brown spots that are creeping across some of the leaves. It's not a huge problem yet, but I have some questions about it.

I'm not totally opposed to having algae in my tank. I want to keep my tank as natural as possible and algae can be part of that. I just don't want it to completely take over.

1. Will this algae slow and possibly go away once the plants fully establish themselves?

2. I can lower the photo period, and cut back to 1 t5ho bulb if it will stop algae growth, but I'm enjoying the plant growth from the 12hrs of light too. I'm curious what your suggestions would be for my plan of attack as far as lighting goes.

As I said, I want to stay as natural as possible. I have used a small amount of dechlorinator, but I would rather not add any other chemicals or ferts. My tank is dirted, and I feel like once the dirt adjusts to being submerged I will have plenty of nutrients.

I'm very interested in what your thoughts are! I can post pics if you need to see what I'm dealing with, but my only camera is on my iphone.

Thanks in advance, folks! Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!
Blah4Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
DerekFF
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

youre light is on the super high light side and photo period is way to lohg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
DerekFF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Blah4Life
Algae Grower

Ok. I know that, but do you have a suggestion on what I should change it to?

I'm so tempted to correct your bad grammar, but I'll refrain in the hope that you have some valid input.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah4Life View Post

I'm so tempted to correct your bad grammar, but I'll refrain in the hope that you have some valid input.
Thats not really a way to respond to someone giving you advice or advising what's wrong......

There are several ways to reduce your light levels. check the lighting thread and do some research in the stickies.

As to the photo period, think normal work day +-8 hours is a good place to start

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Blah4Life
Algae Grower

I already knew that lighting was the issue. I mentioned in in my OP, buddy. I was actually looking for advice on what the lighting levels should be at. Your post was a help, his just reiterated what I already knew.

I didn't think my response was that harsh, and I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, NWA.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Maybe it just seemed like it to me... I grammatically challenged myself, severely so

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
DerekFF
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Or maybe it's just that I don't care about grammatical errors when responding to posts from people who could easily find an answer to their questions by using this forums SEARCH capabilities. You must be TPT illiterate. But I'll refrain from helping you any further in the hopes that maybe you still have a chance to learn how online forums work

Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
DerekFF
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah4Life View Post
My 55g NPT has been up and running for 12 days. I have 2 t5ho's (10000k) running for 12hrs a day. I know the light is on the high side, but my thinking was that if I started at 12hrs I would be able to jumpstart the plant growth to help the plants take root fast, and out-compete the algae. Plant growth is actually pretty good. I'm seeing fast grow on my stem plants and my swords. Even the Anubias is showing new leaves.
6-10 hour lighting period is plenty. If you eat 20 meals a day will you grow faster? Yes, but growth will be outwards and not upwards stem plants grow fast under almost any light. Algae and plants don't compete with one another, they each have their own niche they fill. You need to raise the lights or dull them down somehow.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
DerekFF
Planted Tank Enthusiast

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=174501

Old 04-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
Blah4Life
Algae Grower

Hey Derek, sorry about yesterday, man. It was one of those days. I really appreciate your help with this, and I hope you accept my apology.

Tags
beginner, hair algae, lighting, npt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.