Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share. - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > The Planted Tank FAQ

Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #106
asherah
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help ! How do I get the old nylon washer out. I want to replace it with a permanent seal.
asherah
asherah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #107
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

You should be able to pry the nylon washer out with a tool.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #108
Hcancino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Since I don't have a timer to plug my regulator into yet when I want to shut it off should i just close the knob on the CO2 cylinder or should I do that and unplug my solenoid too.
Hcancino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #109
Darkblade48

You should not close the CO2 main valve. Just unplug your solenoid. If you have the proper solenoid, it should be able to hold back the pressure.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #110
gmgq

Hi Anthony,

Google brought me to this thread. Thank you so much for the writeup!

I'm from the saltwater world, and I use CO2 for my calcium reactor. When I started out, I (naively) bought a setup with a Milwaukee MA957 CO2 regulator and a SMS122 pH controller. I don't remember the last time the setup worked properly over the last 5years.

But I'm reinvigorated, and I actually modified my calcium reactor to make it work better. My problem is the flow of CO2.

For one thing I'm pretty sure the low pressure gauage is busted, the needle never moves. But I've read that it doesnt matter?

Basically I plug the regulator into the wall and set the bubbles to 1bpm. It works fine. So then I plug it into my pH Controller. It continues to output 1bpm into my reactor. Once the pH in the reactor reaches 6.5, the controller shuts off the solenoid and the bubbles stop flowing. Then when the pH is higher than 6.5, the controller turns on the solenoid and the bubbles continue to flow around 1bpm. This goes on for about a day.

The next day when I check, when the controller turns on the solenoid, the bubbles are STREAMING out of the regulator! So much so that the excess CO2 is blasted back out of the 'intake' tubing of my reactor and into the tank (it's literally like if you take a straw and blow as hard as you can into a glass of water).

What is the reason behind this? It's as if pressure builds up while the solenoid is off, and when it's back on, the pressure releases and the CO2 spews out.

I'd hate to just throw this setup out and have to start new. Do you have any troubleshooting tips for me?

Thanks in advance.
Gary
gmgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #111
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgq View Post
For one thing I'm pretty sure the low pressure gauage is busted, the needle never moves. But I've read that it doesnt matter?
This is correct, even if the low pressure gauge is not working, your regulator will still function. It just means you will no longer be able to determine what your delivery pressure is set at.

Quote:
Basically I plug the regulator into the wall and set the bubbles to 1bpm.
To be precise, you are plugging the solenoid into the socket, but go on...

Quote:
It works fine. So then I plug it into my pH Controller. It continues to output 1bpm into my reactor. Once the pH in the reactor reaches 6.5, the controller shuts off the solenoid and the bubbles stop flowing. Then when the pH is higher than 6.5, the controller turns on the solenoid and the bubbles continue to flow around 1bpm. This goes on for about a day.
All is fine so far, though, I assume you meant 1 bubble per second (bps), and not bubble per minute (bpm).

Quote:
The next day when I check, when the controller turns on the solenoid, the bubbles are STREAMING out of the regulator! So much so that the excess CO2 is blasted back out of the 'intake' tubing of my reactor and into the tank (it's literally like if you take a straw and blow as hard as you can into a glass of water).

What is the reason behind this? It's as if pressure builds up while the solenoid is off, and when it's back on, the pressure releases and the CO2 spews out.

I'd hate to just throw this setup out and have to start new. Do you have any troubleshooting tips for me?
Your reasoning is spot on; this occurrence also occurs with many other regulators, but perhaps not with the same violence. Ideally, the streaming CO2 should calm down after a few minutes, after the pressure equalizes again.

It may be that your delivery pressure is set a bit high; try dialing back the delivery pressure (unfortunately, without the low pressure gauge, there is no way to tell how far you are dialing it back) and adjust from there.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #112
robkabob14
Algae Grower

Default adapter for paintball regulator to attach to cga320 tank

i just bought a 7# CO2 tank for homebrewing and I want to use it for pressurized co2 too. problem is my regulator and solenoid is set up to go on a paintball canister...is there an adapter available to make the hookup from my new 7# 320 connection tank to the paintball regulator?
robkabob14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #113
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkabob14 View Post
i just bought a 7# CO2 tank for homebrewing and I want to use it for pressurized co2 too. problem is my regulator and solenoid is set up to go on a paintball canister...is there an adapter available to make the hookup from my new 7# 320 connection tank to the paintball regulator?
Yes, all you need is a CGA320 nipple. The connection that goes from your regulator to the paintball cylinder should be removable.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #114
youknowho
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I referred to this thread repeatedly while setting up my first dual stage build and wanted to give you a huge thanks for the time and effort you put into this. It helped me a ton.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #115
Darkblade48

Glad it could be of use to you

Old 08-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #116
alkatraz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fantastic thread, thx!
alkatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #117
RedseaReefer
Planted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to RedseaReefer

Great info! I will read read and re-read this before undergoing my 75gallon revamp lighting/substrate/co2 upgrades! Keep up the good work!!

ROAK Club #110
RedseaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:42 PM   #118
RedseaReefer
Planted Member

Well Iv ordered all my substrate and lighting but the pre built "semi-automatic" co2 systems from drs F+S is sold out till November so I'll be researching and probably beginning to purchase the parts to construct my co2 system. I guess a reactor is going to be my main confusion. I think I have a pretty good understanding of everything else involved. A ph controller is probably going to be out of my price range but my fish aren't super sensitive at all lol. Thanks again for all the info!! Best co2 thread around

ROAK Club #110
Old 08-31-2012, 04:00 AM   #119
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedseaReefer View Post
Well Iv ordered all my substrate and lighting but the pre built "semi-automatic" co2 systems from drs F+S is sold out till November so I'll be researching and probably beginning to purchase the parts to construct my co2 system. I guess a reactor is going to be my main confusion. I think I have a pretty good understanding of everything else involved. A ph controller is probably going to be out of my price range but my fish aren't super sensitive at all lol. Thanks again for all the info!! Best co2 thread around
This one is good to if you're looking to build your own regulator.

How to build a co2 regulator
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #120
RedseaReefer
Planted Member

How about this regulator solenoid needle valve setup for $125 seems legit
http://aquatek-california.com/co2-re...lenoid/#r-76-1
I figured if it's a quality product why not take out a few birds with one stone and avoid the multi shipment situation. Any thoughts? I researched a few other separate parts as well but easy and "all in one" is always nice. As far as a reactor goes..Is a smaller pump with a "reactor" chamber good enough like this one?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...4&pcatid=15524
So besides a check valve and some tubing and obviously a cylinder from somewhere local are these two components worth while?? Can't wait to pack my tank with plants!!

ROAK Club #110