Nick's ADA 120-P Journal "THE SEQUEL" - Updated 4/29/14 **NEW SCAPE** - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #181
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bahugo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago-area
Posts: 3,358
Default

What kind of algae did you have Nick? What has been your method of stabalizing your tank after algae bloom?

P.s. Add this journal too your sig.
__________________
My dirty journal
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #182
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001
 
speedie408's Avatar
 
PTrader: (386/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Cali
Posts: 8,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
What kind of algae did you have Nick? What has been your method of stabalizing your tank after algae bloom?

P.s. Add this journal too your sig.
The tank broke out with diatoms, staghorn, and BBA. That was all because of CO2 and new AS. I cut off all the effected leaves of any plant that had staghorn growing on them and I started dosing Glut daily as well as upped my CO2 injection. Lights have also been cut in half from 4 x 54W t5ho to 2 x 54W. The plants are now growing well and algae is disappearing.

I also added my plecos back into the tank a few days ago and they helped tremendously as far as keeping the glass and wood clean.
speedie408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:49 AM   #183
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru
 
audioaficionado's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Medford, Orygun
Posts: 2,198
Default

Yay plecos! They did the same for my tank.
__________________
Steve

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator


Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #184
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru
 
Lil' Swimz$'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 1,157
Default

*Drool* I love that hardscape.
__________________
Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #185
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001
 
speedie408's Avatar
 
PTrader: (386/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Cali
Posts: 8,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
Yay plecos! They did the same for my tank.
I just wish I had a partner for my lonely L-183. Plus, she only comes out at night which sucks cause I can never capture her on camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Swimz$ View Post
*Drool* I love that hardscape.
Gracias!
speedie408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #186
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bahugo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago-area
Posts: 3,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
The tank broke out with diatoms, staghorn, and BBA. That was all because of CO2 and new AS. I cut off all the effected leaves of any plant that had staghorn growing on them and I started dosing Glut daily as well as upped my CO2 injection. Lights have also been cut in half from 4 x 54W t5ho to 2 x 54W. The plants are now growing well and algae is disappearing.

I also added my plecos back into the tank a few days ago and they helped tremendously as far as keeping the glass and wood clean.
I keep getting staghorn on some of my plants. Glut? Glutamine?
__________________
My dirty journal
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #187
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001
 
speedie408's Avatar
 
PTrader: (386/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Cali
Posts: 8,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
I keep getting staghorn on some of my plants. Glut? Glutamine?
Glutaraldehyde = Excel

spot treat directly on effected areas for best results.
speedie408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #188
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bahugo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago-area
Posts: 3,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Glutaraldehyde = Excel

spot treat directly on effected areas for best results.

Ahhh, I spot dosed with H2o2 and upped my co2, seemed too stop it from spreading but still missed some patches of staghorn sso they are just sitting there lol been too tired too go pick up more h2o2
__________________
My dirty journal
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #189
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001
 
speedie408's Avatar
 
PTrader: (386/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Cali
Posts: 8,288
Default

How's your CO2?
speedie408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #190
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bahugo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago-area
Posts: 3,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
How's your CO2?
Sexy lol, I actually must have hit it before and it was really low maybe that is why I kept having reoccurring algae issues.

My tank is so overgrown right now.
__________________
My dirty journal
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #191
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru
 
audioaficionado's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Medford, Orygun
Posts: 2,198
Default

After 9 months of mostly running CO2 24/7 I think I might finally be running out the 20# cylinder. It's very slowly dropping below 800 psi. Looks like I've got another few weeks at least since I'm only running it 8 hrs/day.
__________________
Steve

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator


Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #192
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001
 
speedie408's Avatar
 
PTrader: (386/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Cali
Posts: 8,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
Sexy lol, I actually must have hit it before and it was really low maybe that is why I kept having reoccurring algae issues.

My tank is so overgrown right now.
Are you running a DSR or SSR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
After 9 months of mostly running CO2 24/7 I think I might finally be running out the 20# cylinder. It's very slowly dropping below 800 psi. Looks like I've got another few weeks at least since I'm only running it 8 hrs/day.
That's quite a long time. My 20#r last me 5-6 months and that's on a 8hr solenoid too. I'm blasting my bbs though because I mist.
speedie408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #193
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru
 
audioaficionado's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Medford, Orygun
Posts: 2,198
Default

I'm just running @ golden lime green with no misting. This is overkill for my slow growers, but I hope it helps keep BBA at bay. I'm going to run CO2 even on low light tanks.
__________________
Steve

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator


Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #194
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001
 
speedie408's Avatar
 
PTrader: (386/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Central Cali
Posts: 8,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
I'm just running @ golden lime green with no misting. This is overkill for my slow growers, but I hope it helps keep BBA at bay. I'm going to run CO2 even on low light tanks.
CO2 overkill is good in my book too . As long as fish aren't flopping over, belly up, you're good!
speedie408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #195
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bahugo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago-area
Posts: 3,358
Default

Im running a single stage regulator.
__________________
My dirty journal
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012