Can I safely increase the lighting on my tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Can I safely increase the lighting on my tank?

I have a 29gal tank low tech no CO2 and I light it with a coralift T5NO. It has two 18watt bulbs. It's been about 1.5 years since I've bought it I think. So I'm guessing I should probably replace the bulbs.

My tank is 18" high. I'm thinking I might like to up the light just a tiny bit but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Also I was thinking about switching to LED but not sure how to do that.

I have a piece of driftwood with willow moss and anubais nana petite and this is doing very well. Lots of growth, very green. It's also closer to the lights. The rest of my tank... not so well. I have Marsilea minuta and Lilienopsis mauritiana (sp?) and dwarf sag. These are planted on the substrate. They are not dying but they are not growing either and I think the L.mauritiana is thinning out.

If I go with just a little brighter light (not sure how?) then would I fry the plants on my drift wood? Would it do no good since I would need CO2 or can I just increase the light intensity a tiny bit without needing CO2?
ponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

New bulbs would increase the light intensity at least a little bit. Another way to increase the intensity would be to raise up the level of the substrate an inch or so. There is no bulb substitution you could make, that I am aware of, that would be significantly brighter.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
kangshiang
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (131/99%)

I don't see any problem from doing that.
kangshiang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #4
Miles
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Oh you'll be fine, you might worry if you were upgrading to a 4 bulb fixture, but just replacing the bulbs is fine, you're supposed to every year anyway.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Oh you'll be fine, you might worry if you were upgrading to a 4 bulb fixture, but just replacing the bulbs is fine, you're supposed to every year anyway.
I'm pretty sure that T5HO bulbs are good for 2 years, not one year. I have seen data that strongly suggested that.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Miles
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I'm pretty sure that T5HO bulbs are good for 2 years, not one year. I have seen data that strongly suggested that.
Not sure about zoomed bulbs though, cause they kinda really suck...
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

are your bulbs 6,700k or 10,000k? you could trying moving up to 10,000k if you have the 67000k, or if one is colormax, you could replace with a 6700k or 10,000k to get more light
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:03 AM   #8
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think I have one that is 6700K and one that is the colormax. Don't you need the colormax for the full spectrum? So I could try replacing the 6,700K with a 10,000K? Should I worry about my moss/anubais nan petite that are up higher and thus closer to the light source?

Thanks everyone! I went to a LFS today and they didn't really answer my questions.... But I won't hold it against them. They usually have good quality fish.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #9
jeremyTR
Suspended

I've read before that the colormax light stinks. I'd replace it myself with another 67k or 10k bulb.
jeremyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:38 AM   #10
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks I'll give it a go!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

i've been running two colormax bulbs for the past few days, i love the way all of my fish look, and plants seem to be doing just fine
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
jeremyTR
Suspended

Oh. Well there you have it!
jeremyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:52 AM   #13
ponyo
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm getting a bit frustrated trying to put some more plants in my tank and almost no plants sound like they will survive in the light I have. The plants I'm limited to are java fern, moss, anubais, watersprite, foxtail and that sort of thing. And those are fine but I really am trying to get a more lushly planted tank and I have a certain aquascape I'm going for and it's getting frustrating to be so limited.

My tank is 29gal and it's 18" deep. I As I said before, but just to remind, I have a coramax T5NO light with 2 18watt bulbs. One is a 6700K and the other is a color max. I

I am trying to decide which way to go:

1) Get a new fixture that is T5HO instead of normal output.

2) replace the colormax with another 6700K and raise the substrate by several inches.

I'm not sure which would be more expensive because the substrate I have is eco complete and I've been told not to top that with anything so I would have to buy more eco-complete and that stuff is not cheap. But a new light fixture would also be expensive.

My concern with option#2 is would this really allow me access to a wider choice of plants?? And my concern with option #1 is, without CO2 would I have a terrible algae problem even if I dosed with excel?