Dart frogs in a paludarium.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
thedudeabides
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dart frogs in a paludarium.

I have been kicking around the idea of making a paludarium with dart frogs and killies. I have read of examples were people have successfully done this, and then there are others that say they will inevitably drown. I was thinking I could separate the land and water with the use of an catch basin with an overflow on the land portion. Just not quite sure how I would go about doing this. Anyone have any experience with this.

Thanks
thedudeabides is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
firefiend
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pdf's are not good swimmers. You will need to have lots of branches and rocks for them to grab onto in the water so they can get out easily. Even then drowning is always a real possibility in water deeper than their height. I've had pdf's for several years now.
firefiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
thedudeabides
Planted Member

So I am revisiting this idea. What if you could separate the land water portion with a false bottom. As to completely enclose the land portion. Have a catch basin with an overflow that kept the water level low on the land portion. Have that overflow into a completely enclosed cave with blind cave tetras. Obviously you would need to have an access lid on the land portion for feeding and maintenance and also a way to somehow light up the cave portion for visibility purposes (maybe blue LED's) Anyway there would be some definite hurdles to overcome but I think It would be an awesome setup if you could pull it off. Anyone ever seen or heard of anything like this.

Tags
frogs, paludarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.