Cloudy water with Aquasoil? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 AM   #16
Matsu49
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I figured that id bump this thread up for guys who are just starting their tanks with AS. Pretty good info in here.
Matsu49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #17
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

Don't know about the original Aquasoil compared to the Aquasoil II as I have some original Aquasoil on standby to test with AS II to compare plant growth between the two(lol, when I get space and time). I just set up a Aquasoil II Experimental tank, using a 150 Aquaclear Filter and some Seachem Purigan and polyfibre in the filter. There was virtually no cloudiness when I set it up, what little there was was not noticeable. I only did regular water changes for the first two weeks to clear the tank of any ammonia that may have been leaching and not to address any cloudiness issues, as there were none. As it stands now, the water is crystal clear. To make a long story short, I believe that Aquasoil II was designed to address excessive cloudiness among other issues. If you use Aquasoil II which is not much more money than Aquasoil original and combine that with carbon as others have mentioned or Seachem Purigan, you should have no major cloudiness issues, at least that was my experience. Take it for what it's worth.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #18
ranchu

I do not know if Magic Soil is available in the US but over here in Singapore,a couple of us have started to use it and we find that the water is clear after a few hours and there is not much differences in the growth of the plants as compared to Aquasoil. This is just my experience, hope it helps.
ranchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:45 AM   #19
Freon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Don't know about the original Aquasoil compared to the Aquasoil II as I have some original Aquasoil on standby to test with AS II to compare plant growth between the two(lol, when I get space and time). I just set up a Aquasoil II Experimental tank, using a 150 Aquaclear Filter and some Seachem Purigan and polyfibre in the filter. There was virtually no cloudiness when I set it up, what little there was was not noticeable. I only did regular water changes for the first two weeks to clear the tank of any ammonia that may have been leaching and not to address any cloudiness issues, as there were none. As it stands now, the water is crystal clear. To make a long story short, I believe that Aquasoil II was designed to address excessive cloudiness among other issues. If you use Aquasoil II which is not much more money than Aquasoil original and combine that with carbon as others have mentioned or Seachem Purigan, you should have no major cloudiness issues, at least that was my experience. Take it for what it's worth.
Glad you got yours worked out. Mine is in week 3 and still cloudy.Tank has cycled, Have three filters with carbon and daily water changes don't help. Not familiar with Purigen but will try it if it works.
Freon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:31 AM   #20
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I'll be following to see how yours works out, Freon. I won't be setting up my 29gal with the AS II for a few months still. I'm going to try Tom Barr's emersed start method with mine though... hopefully that will make a positive difference?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:34 AM   #21
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

Oops double post
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #22
Freon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I'll be following to see how yours works out, Freon. I won't be setting up my 29gal with the AS II for a few months still. I'm going to try Tom Barr's emersed start method with mine though... hopefully that will make a positive difference?
Any clearing agents out there that work? I know there are products that "clump" free moving particles. I did an 80% water change at one time with no results.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1

My tank was set up 2 months ago, I used Amazonia. It is still hazy.
waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #24
Akira
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Akira

I just added it about 40 minutes ago its really cloudy and also has stuff floating around the top...
I have a 15 gallon and 55 gallon H.O.B. filter that i just did a thorough cleaning on(don't ask)...
Should I just let these filters run their course for a few days then start some water changes?
Eheim Pimp #292

Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:20 AM   #25
froghair
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

My 10 gallon has a substrate of Powersand and Amazonia II, has been set up for 35 days and is still very, very hazy. I've used purigen and fine filter floss in addition to the existing filter pads so I'm assuming that only more water changes and time will help.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:24 AM   #26
Freon
Algae Grower

Finally found a way to clear it up! I went to Petsmart and bought a product called "Clarity" from Seachem. A little pricey ($ 12) but worth it. I did a triple dose per their instructions for very cloudy water and within an hour it's 90% clear. If it stays this way I will be thrilled. No changes to water chemistry and safe for plants.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:38 AM   #27
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

I had to look up Clarity... here's what Seachem has on their website: http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...s/Clarity.html

Clarity™ is the ultimate clarifier for both fresh and saltwater. It employs an advanced polymeric flocculating agent that is both reef and plant safe. Clarity™ is the only clarifier on the market that does it all! Clarity™ will clear all types of clouding: bacterial and other biological type blooms, chemical clouding, and particulate clouding (i.e. stirred up gravel bed). When Clarity™ clears up bacterial clouding it helps to accelerate and enhance the colonization of the biological filter by efficiently relocating these natural biofilms to the biosupport media in the filter. Freshwater and Marine. Plant and reef safe.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:43 AM   #28
Akira
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Akira

I could use some clairty. I cant even see the backside of my tank...
Eheim Pimp #292

Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:58 PM   #29
themox

re-hashing this (sorry). is carbon still fine to use? I've just set up a new tank and it's horribly cloudy using ada aquasoil. not only that but the 'dust' ha settled on leaves of ferns in my tank; any suggestions to get rid of that? just brushing with a fine comb perhaps?
themox is offline   Reply With Quote