Different Setup Method for Sand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
ZeeZ
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)

Different Setup Method for Sand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaKxp...ature=youtu.be

I thought I'd share how I set up new tanks with sand. I don't do the usual method of stirring new sand. What I do is I fill the tank with dechlorinated water, find a bottle that will fit the height of the aquarium, rinse the bottle out thoroughly. Then make a funnel or purchase a funnel, adding sand to the bottle.

Put the sand underwater, waiting until very little or no bubbles comes out of the bottle. Gently squeeze the bottle a few times to make sure the bubbles are gone. Turn the bottle upside-down and spread the sand around the base of the tank.

Once all of the sand is gone, quickly take the bottle out. What would have normally been stirred out from the usual method is still left inside the bottle. This is the very fine particles. Empty the bottle. Repeat again if you need more sand. You're good to go.
ZeeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
proaudio55
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ummmmmmm . . . . .??
++crickets in background++

What's the problem with ripping the bag of sand open, dumping it in, and spreading out? I want to be gentle here, but this method sort of feels like a "solution in search of a problem"...
proaudio55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 03:38 AM   #3
ZeeZ
Planted Member

Usually you have to wash the sand before you can put it in a new tank. Otherwise, the water will be cloudy for days. If you do it this way, that prevents the cloudiness without having to wash the sand.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
ZeeZ
Planted Member

Here's a better video showing exactly what it is I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=d-XB0bwtZh8
Old 04-22-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

This is what I do on small tanks. On large tanks bigger than 20g it's pretty impractical. I'd rather just dump it all in and wait a few days.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
ZeeZ
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffww View Post
This is what I do on small tanks. On large tanks bigger than 20g it's pretty impractical. I'd rather just dump it all in and wait a few days.
I've done it with 2 liter bottles on my 40g. Worked just as well.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

If the sand needed to be washed prior to filling it, the lack of washing is just going to lead to cloudiness sometime later. Replanting, water changes, and fish moving are going to stir it up.

Wash your sand first and you never have to worry about it when it is IN your tank.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
beginragnarok
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

This is a good method to place a small aout od sand in a specific location. Simply to avoid rinsing though does sound a bit like a backward approach.

However I am no expert - I'm the dipstick who added way too much Osmocote+ to his 10G setup and had to start over.

If you live in an apartment/condo and washing sand in a 5 gallon bucket is impractical you can use a painters seive in a tub or sink to rinse even your finer grade substrates. These can be purchased very cheaply in different sizes at hardware stores near the painters rags and buckets. They are very fine mesh bags made of nylon usually with a drawstring or elastic band at the opening.

If you do this to rinse a lot Flourite I recommend keeping the water on full blast. Or you may build yourself a clay dam in your plumbing.
beginragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.