Cycling Time - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-19-2003, 05:26 AM   #16
Slaigar
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

LFS is short for Local Fish Store. Usually used for stores that are not franchises.

Culu, I am starting to believe you that the Nitrite->Nitrate is the longest! It is just getting more hazier by the day, maybe a month from now it will be fine....
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2003, 04:25 PM   #17
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

LFS = Local Fish Store
digger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 11:11 PM   #18
culu
Algae Grower

LFS= Logically Formulated Substrate......

No.....actually Local Fish Shop, Local Fish Store
culu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2003, 11:17 PM   #19
culu
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaigar
Culu, I am starting to believe you that the Nitrite->Nitrate is the longest! It is just getting more hazier by the day, maybe a month from now it will be fine....
Mother nature works very slow sometimes, but she always seems to get it right.. When starting a new tank it's best not to force the issue and let things proceed naturally
culu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2003, 01:48 AM   #20
docone
Algae Grower

I agree!!! :lol:
docone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2003, 07:39 AM   #21
Slaigar
Planted Member

It is about 6 weeks now and my tank is finally getting clearer. I folded in and bought a test kit and so far Ammonia is 0 and Nitrite 0.3. Woo, so close. I believe most of the cloudiness is algae as the sponge that is on my pump gets clogged fast with brown goop(a few weeks before it was green).
Old 09-11-2003, 02:16 AM   #22
Varndawg76
Algae Grower

Question.....

Ok so I only have a 5 gal aquarium. (It's all I can afford atm.) Have only one fish, a Red Tailed Shark and a couple of very fake looking plastic plants ( have no idea where to get real plants in this tiny town of mine). The tank has been up for about two weeks now and I had purchased testing supplies at the time I bought the tank so I've been keeping a close eye on the Ammonia and Nitrite levels ever since someone on another forum mentioned that I should. Ammonia has been rising but there has been no sign of nitrites (from reading this post I have guessed that there are no bacteria yet. ) My question is this; Am I doomed to lose my shark? :cry: If I have to wait for the tank to cycle what should I do with my shark in the mean time? Can any fish survive a new tank cycle? And on a side note, how can a tank cycle without the presance of fish? Don't they kind of start the ball rolling by producing the necessary ammonia?
Varndawg76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2003, 02:51 AM   #23
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Varndawg,

Ok first of all....DONT PANIC! You can cycle a tank with new fish in it. Although I have no RTS's in my tank I can help you with this. You first need to be aware of what the Nitrogen Cycle is.

http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Ok with that being said.....you can minimize the stress on JAWS by keeping the water quality as good as possible. Most fish dont do well with high nitrite or nitrate levels (ammonia too). You can reduce these values by completing frequent water changes. So to help JAWS out you may want to continue to do water changes.

Now...while you are feeding him he will be doing the Fishy Business and putting wastes into the tank...these will all help in the cycle.

You can eliminate this type of cycle by going to a Silent Cycle with many plants....I dont think this would work in your small tank though...never done that.

For now just keep up with the water changes and be patient....

ANOTHER suggestion is if you know someone with a fish tank you can use some of the "goop" from their filter to help "seed" some of the beneficial bacteria into your tank. Your local fish store may be of some help here too if you ask.

Hope that helps you out and good luck!

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2003, 02:53 AM   #24
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Varn...also let us know where you are at...perhaps someone here in this forum lives close to you to get you some plants! Also PETSMART and PETCO usually sell some.

Also you might want to let us know what type of lighting you have in your tank as well...watts etc....that way we can be of more help!

Good Luck!

Mike

Old 09-11-2003, 01:22 PM   #25
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Red tailed shark? Um, how big do those get? In a 5 gallon tank? I think this is doomed to failure, now or later..
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2003, 07:55 PM   #26
Varndawg76
Algae Grower

I assure all of you the 5-gal is only temporary till I get to a place where I can have a bigger tank and not freak out the people who own the house I am currently residing with. I really don't want to test their generosity by walking through the door with a 100 gal tank + the works. Right now they think my stay is only temporary ( tee hee hee) Plus I figure I can learn as much as I can on this little tank that way when I DO get a bigger tank I'll have some knowledge and I won't end up killing poor defenseless fishies en mass. There is some madness to my method I think.

Anyway, enough of my personal issues. Mike, thanks so much for the info, I'll be sure to commit it all to memory and apply it as often as I can. Not sure that there are any PETSMART/PETCO's in Valdosta GA, I think there is only one LFS and as of yet I haven't been able to obtain it's exact local, mostly because I don't get out of work till late in the day and most shops a closed and because I am fairly new to the area. But it looks like I'm going to have a lot of free time shortly since I'll be changing jobs so I'll definatly make it my mission to locate said store.
Varndawg76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2003, 04:48 AM   #27
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Varndawg....you are in the town with Moody AFB. I am pretty sure there is a fish store there where you can get some plants. I have a bunch of buddies that fly there. You are also in a great neck of the woods for grabbin plants from the local lakes and streams around there as well! Out here in NM there is not a whole lotta water and the Rio Grande is not my idea of a place to grab plants....LOL.

Good luck and if I can be of more help just lemme know!

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.