frrok's ADA MINI-M - A Slice of Nature --What has a Begininning must Have an End. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 AM   #31
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

How much water are you changing per week? I was doing a gallon per week on my old mini-m, and that managed to clear up any tannins I had.
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #32
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
How much water are you changing per week? I was doing a gallon per week on my old mini-m, and that managed to clear up any tannins I had.
Probably less than that. Sometimes I just top off. I think my next water change may be a bit bigger. I also have a dirt substrate and 1 or 2 too many fish. I have to find a home for the brood of endlers that just showed up in my 10 gallon. The tank is fairly new as well.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #33
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
Probably less than that. Sometimes I just top off. I think my next water change may be a bit bigger. I also have a dirt substrate and 1 or 2 too many fish. I have to find a home for the brood of endlers that just showed up in my 10 gallon. The tank is fairly new as well.
I pulled almost 30 endlers out of a 5.5 once, so I know what that's like.

If you ever want to deal with the tannins, you could probably do a large % water change initially and then 2-3 over the course of the week after, which usually cleared up whatever problems I had. I also had purigen as a water polisher and the difference was notable.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #34
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I pulled almost 30 endlers out of a 5.5 once, so I know what that's like.

If you ever want to deal with the tannins, you could probably do a large % water change initially and then 2-3 over the course of the week after, which usually cleared up whatever problems I had. I also had purigen as a water polisher and the difference was notable.
Cool. Thank you for the advice.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 04-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #35
frrok
Wannabe Guru

4/1
Haven't had much time to do maintenance. Working a lot. Things are ok. Do see some hair algae. It's probably cuz my filter keeps clogging cuz of the sponge prefilter. The flow is reduced quickly and I have to clean it out every 3 days or so. Can't wait to get a canister. Quick iPhone shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333281090.618997.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	44903  

Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #36
frrok
Wannabe Guru

I'm slacking big time. My plants are growing but I seriously need to wipe the glass and do a water change. I have noticed a dead shrimp here and there. A bit worried that I have too many fish in this tank. Currently have 5 endlers and an Otto. Plus the shrimpies. My GF and are moving into a bigger place soon so hopefully when I get settled there I will set up my paintball C02 and get this tank going proper. To do list
-paintball Co2 canister
-diffuser
-drop checker
-co2 tubing
-GLA paintball regulator with solenoid. $$ I know but I need to put the co2 on a timer.
-plants: crypt petchii, stauro repens and mini micro sword.
-new stand (cheapo target special)

Should be a half day of work for me tomorrow so I'm looking forward to getting some maintenance done and getting a good shot. ...unless there are waves then I'll be going surfing. But I live in nY and its usually notoriously flat. Not that any of you really care. Hahaha. Well maybe fat guy.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 04-07-2012, 01:01 AM   #37
frrok
Wannabe Guru

I feel like Im talking to myself but whatever.. I guess I'll use this thread for myself. Anyway, I did a water change today trimmed the java moss and crypts. and took a pretty decent shot. water is loking better. going to take dollfaces advice and do another water change this week. Hoping to clear up the yellow water. but i need to be careful cuz of my shrimps. My plants are growing slow and i see some hair/thread algae developing. I think my bulb is getting old. its been almost a year for this light. Its time for a change. Thinking of going LED. I really like the 8w innovative SKKYE light. It would put me around medium to..maybe high light. Going to add co2 as well. but I am waiting to move to get all those stuff. I dont want to get it , set it up and then have to move everything. the less I need to move the better.
thanks for looking all two of you...

closup of ludwigia

this shot is at a higher aperture. still figuring out the manual settings on my camera
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 04-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #38
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

For my tank shots I usually use the largest (smallest number) aperture my camera will let me on any given day, then adjust the shutter speed from there. Super low depth of field makes it artistic, right?
Old 04-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #39
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
For my tank shots I usually use the largest (smallest number) aperture my camera will let me on any given day, then adjust the shutter speed from there. Super low depth of field makes it artistic, right?
hmm ok i'm probably doing it backwards... lol. we just got the canon g12. i was trying to get more light without making it look so washed out. I guess I'll figure it out eventually. anyway, I'm finally making some money so I will finally be able to get some new gadgets for this tank soon. upgrades are fun!
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 04-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #40
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334424637.004764.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	45666
Quick iPhone pic update. Haven't had the time to take a quality shot. I'm losing 1-2 shrimps a week. Not really sure why. No ammonia nor nitrite and my nitrates are below ten. I think. Test kit could be wrong. But I have floating plants that should help with that just in case. I'm not really sure why they are dying. And it's adults and juvies. So doubt it's old age. I'm clueless. I took out out one end let sondar. Now I have 4 in there. Could it be too many fish? Plants still growing ... Albeit slowly. Second pic shows overhead shot. Do my stem plants look pale? Deficient? I think my bulb is going.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334424825.009278.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	45667
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX

Last edited by frrok; 04-15-2012 at 03:53 AM..
Old 04-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #41
frrok
Wannabe Guru

I have some more sad news. I lost two more shrimp in the last two days. I have no idea whats happening but its bumming me out big time. I also have some hair algae starting to grow on the leaves of some of my plants and on the lava rock. I think my bulb is def going. ive never had hair algae in my tanks before. I need to really sit down and test my water again and see why my shrimp are dying. Im not sure if its from food or what. My fish are totally fine. I think maybe too many fish. I am probably going to remove some fish. BUt I have to give some away, because the keep breeding like crazy in my ten gallon!
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 AM   #42
mcqueenesq
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

I really like your selection of plants here. That Ludwigia sp. 'red' in the back is really nice. I'm sorry to hear about your shrimp losses. Are you able to separate your male and female Endlers?

Mini M
| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2
mcqueenesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #43
frrok
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcqueenesq View Post
I really like your selection of plants here. That Ludwigia sp. 'red' in the back is really nice. I'm sorry to hear about your shrimp losses. Are you able to separate your male and female Endlers?
Thank you. I really love that plant. It stays red even with no co2 and little ferts. I actually only have males in this tank. I'm planning on moving two of them out this week at some point. I am also adding more crypts tonight as well. I think I need some more plant mass.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 04-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #44
frrok
Wannabe Guru

UPDATES! I have been doing so much research my head is going to explode. Thinking of going with TMC AqauRaymini 400 LED for this tank. Aquaray has the highest quality LED emitters and the right PUR. Lighting can be really complicated but ive learned so much about PUR and PAR. The only issue with getting this light is that the mounting system you have to buy separately at $40! and its UGLY! haha so I ma thinking of Suspending it with some wires. either DIY or I may buy the kit. but Im not sure what to get. Anyway, some more good GOOD NEWS! I just got my new filter an EHEIM 2211. ANd I got my crypts! crypt petchi and mi oya. thanks Gordon! The only thing is that the crypts were grown emersed and it will take some time for them to fully adjust in my tank and grow submerged leaves. So they dony look their best right now, hence no photo... As far as the filtration goes. The 2211 is bigger than I thought and Im not sure if I will have the room on my dresser drawer for it next to my mini-m. besides they suggest placing it below the tank. I may just use it on my 10 gallon for now and put the zoomed on the mini-m ...until I move and I buy a new stand. ALl I know is that the nano HOB i have on this right now...has got to go! stay with me folks... my plans are coming together... next order is LILY PIPES!

edit: also added one more otto(thats 2 now) and removed 2 endlers.
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 04-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #45
mcqueenesq
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

I hope you figure out the right LED for a Mini M before I buy any more.

Mini M
| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2
mcqueenesq is offline   Reply With Quote