New Plants today (150 G) New Algae! - Page 49
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #721
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Well today is water change day for this 150 and the new drain is more than spectacular as it drained 65 gallons of water in only 9 minutes with my water draining through the filter inlet screen which is huge at 6.5" x 1" with 1" cpvc, then under the tank it is reduced to 3/4" cpvc and is no more than a 8' run to get outside of the house. I was going to take a photo (boring) of the water flow but it was dropping so fast I didn't dare leave the tank, so it is a pain to do all this plumbing and it's moderately expensive, but after I finish the RO unit we are talking a 65 gallon water change, drain and fill in less than 30 minutes and this makes it worth the effort.

I also got my heater ordered with a little help from Craig, I liked the setup he used in his sump with the heaters (300 watt Ebo-Jager) attached via a bulk head adapter so the cord and dial is not submerged and even though they say fully submersible I don't like to use them that way and this is very neat, easy to adjust the temperature without getting wet, and I can position it low in my holding tank so the hot water rises and make a little convection in the tank to get all the water heated, btw the company that makes the adapter is Jehmco and they have excellent pricing on heaters and it was the only place that had this type of adapter that I could find.

I really can't wait to finish getting this RO unit installed and see the difference in water quality, also my aquarium software (Aquarix) will tell me how much RO water to use and how much tap water to use to get the desired hardness, etc. so it should be a bit of fun getting to use all the features and see the result. Plus if I want now would be the time to start a small reef tank, from what I've read you gotta have RO to maintain a good reef tank, and just thinking of all the colors is giving me a little flashback.

Last edited by 150EH; 04-19-2012 at 02:52 AM..
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 AM   #722
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I got some more work done today on my RO system but I'm still waiting for the heater and a couple of other misc parts before I can hook up the supply line and get the water flowing through this thing, but for now here's my progress.

Some of these photos are just ugly, here's the outlet into the front lawn and after I get it caulked and painted it should blend in well, plus that Nandina hides it pretty good. On the other side of this wall sits my tank and to the left is the drain and to the right the RO unit and holding tank.

This is the pump (Rio 10HF) which delivers 660 gph at 1 foot of head pressure but I will be using it with about 6 feet oh head pressure which will slow it to 190 gph, so it should take 17 minutes to pump 50 gallons of water into my tank and I'll add another 7 to 15 gallons of tap water to get the hardness right.

Here's the tank all plumbed in, I think it turned out OK and I did have over 6 months to think about the layout.

I had to cut a hole 2.5" x 4.5" to get the pump and heater into the tank and it also has a float to stop the fill, but it is in my garage so there are insects, chemicals, and lots of dust from my experiments so I needed the tank to be sealed fairly well. I used a scape piece of 1/8" Plexiglas and just used a razor and straight edge to make the cuts then I cleaned it up with the Dremmel, applied a border of 1/4" weather stripping foam and taped it with a high quality duct tape and it's sealed pretty good, the blue tube is just a vent and you would be very surprised at how much pressure can build in one of these tanks just from a rise in temperature. The valve will keep the wast water out of the holding tank but will need to be opened to fill the tank inside of the house.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:18 AM   #723
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I've got one of those Python/Aqueon sink faucet water changers. Takes forever to suck it out and the sink can't drain fast enough so I have to slow it down towards the end which reduces the venturi even more. Fills pretty quick. Still it beats the bucket brigade. Nowhere to set up a nice drain system like yours. I suppose I can just run a hose out the front door in warmer weather LOL.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #724
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I did that for a while but it went out a window, still the Python is way more restricted and it takes longer, before the new setup my water changes were taking almost 90 minutes so I love the new way of doing things. Also we are on septic in a very wet area and with a pump out costing $250 each now we don't like the water going into the septic, plus why not use that nice fertilized water to it's full potential.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #725
rockwood
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

A lot of places on sewer have sewer fees too (we have them here) so if you can run excess water off its always a good thing. My 75g is on the second floor so I run the python out the window and into the gutter to drain it

BTW, very jelly of the RO/DI set up. I can't wait until I can set one up and keep all the super soft water plants and start a small reef.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #726
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

Grey water is great to help irrigate the yard. I used to dump the buckets of tank water in the planter beds and they did seem to perk up more than just what hose water could do.

My municipal water is very soft already, so I don't need R/O water unless I was feeding a 1 meg or better DI resin unit. I always like to add GH booster after water changes. Nice thing about your tank is that you can predose any minerals right into it before you use it. You can even set up a small mixer motor with mixing prop on top.

If I ever move to a nicer house, I'll try and set up premixing tanks to automate the water changes like 10% per day and auto mineral/fert dosing as well.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #727
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
Grey water is great to help irrigate the yard. I used to dump the buckets of tank water in the planter beds and they did seem to perk up more than just what hose water could do.
150 - RODI!!! RODI!!!! SWEET!!

Steve - Dump the old fish water in the veggie garden and watch what happens. I had tomatoes the size of 16" softballs last year.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:10 AM   #728
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

Great idea, but I'm not dragging several 40# buckets of water out the front door and around to the back yard every week.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #729
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

CPVC and a small drill bit, just cap one end and add pipe thread to hose thread adapter to the other end, then just connect your Python and water the garden. We are very lucky hear to have septic and avoid all the extra taxes, we also live on a private road beyond the county maintenance so our taxes are very low ($1,400 per year) while our neighbors across the creek have sewer and city water, plus pay for road and water frontage by the foot so their yearly bill is more like 5k to 7k, but that's part of the reason I liked this place plus the septic doesn't allow anyone to build so we are very remote while the surrounding area continues to grow.

I do use the tank water on house plants and they grow like crazy, especially our Cacti after a long winter drought I'll saturate the planters and they will literally grow several inches in just a couple of weeks but they only get watered 4 or 5 times per year.

The one thing about the RO/DI waste water is it will have a concentrate of iron and may yellow the lawn or blue stone in the driveway, we have to be carefully having a stucco exterior because our water reacts with concrete and makes a rust stain, so if you setup a sprinkler and the water hits the house everything is yellowish brown the next day.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #730
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I got my heater and bulkhead form Jehmco today and I'm very impressed with the service, quality, and prices. They put the heater and bulkhead together so all I have to do is cut the hole and make the installation, I also got some filter pad similar to Eheim's fine pad and for $4.50 I got 2 2217 pads and 20 pads for my RedSea Nano filter, and to top off the whole thing they only charged $6.05 for shipping. I really like these folks but they are a little different as you have to call to place an order but it's nice to be able to talk about what your buying sometimes, especially if it's the first time trying a product but they also have some oddball hard to find items, here's the heater.

Oh, these heaters from Ebo-Jager are really nice with an adjustment ring if the temp is off, shatter proof glass, and an auto shut-off if the water runs dry.
Also here's FTS of the Jungle before it got a trim, I think I had just finished feeding some frozen Brine Shrimp so all the fish are out in front.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #731
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I got the drum drilled today and installed the heater and the whole thing went very smooth and the connection felt firm and well sealed. I also sweated in the copper for the water feed and got all the connections made, I did open the valve and fill the copper and no leaks except the packing nut on the valve, but I closed it and called it a day because it was getting late and I'll see if any wet spots occur over night. Tomorrow I'll fill the tank and rinse the filters and this should fill the tank enough to see if anything leaks but I'm not expecting any trouble, then I can pump off this water and start to fill it with pure water, I'll post some pics of the finished setup.

Now I have to get ready and learn the perfect mix of untreated well water and RO, and I'm sure that something will need tweaking beyond that to get the best parameters.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #732
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

Just a question, how good are the rummnoses at schooling?
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #733
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Very good, I actually think they are the best schooling fish as they never separate and if they do it's into two large groups that will reform in just a matter of seconds. When feeding it's every man for himself so they look a bit scattered in the photo, also this tank is only 48 inches long but in something longer they would look even better.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #734
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Great looking setup for your change out water and rodi.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #735
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Holy wozers ive missed so much I dont even know where to start. Ummm...that plumbing job/holding tank/RO/DI setup is freakin AWESOME!!! I am a bit jealous of it Your tank is looking great too. I take it you finally overcame your algae issues? What is the plant in the foreground?