Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 33
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #481
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
The non-limiting level of co2 is what I'm not sure about. What would be the effect of keeping co2 levels at 5 ppm if it was always replenished as fast as it was used?
ppm means parts per million, and is a way to express concentration. another way, more often used in chemistry is moles per liter, or molarity. a reactions speed depends in part, on its concentration. the higher the rate the faster the reaction occurs, photosynthesis included. so if you dont change the photoperiod, the higher the [CO2], the more photosynthesis occurs in a given day.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #482
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Just some more photos of the tank, I wish there was something more exciting to report. Some kind of algae to fight back or some element out of whack.

Really, all I do now is wait for the moss to grow in. Guess its time to plot the CHALLENGE tank and the 60p.

Birds eye views:

Classic angle:

Fun close up:

Oh, the rasbora maculatus should be here Friday, maybe Saturday.

Can't wait for those!
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #483
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

love the HC strand creeping over the rock.

boraras are fun. youll like them.
the only thing i noticed is that even though they are properly sized for a nano, they seem much less comfortable than in a med sized tank. could be that they just dont like MY nano, however.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #484
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Well hopefully the HC continues to obscure the rocks!

We'll see how the rasbora respond to the aquarium.

Good rule of thumb is: healthy plants, healthy fish
Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #485
bitFUUL
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Awesome thread, and thanks for all the help on the phone today Frank! Helped me a ton, and now I've got a working "wishlist".

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #486
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

I have a treat for you guys today. To celebrate Week 4, I took some video from the phone for you to enjoy the layout a little more real than just photographic.

There's even a better step you can take to really enjoy the progress this tank has made along with me; if I could, I'd love to invite you into my home to enjoy it for yourself. Unless you're in the Houston area, the best I can do is share video and photographs with you.

Week One - Initial Set Up

Week One - Fancy Close Ups

Week Four - The Full Tank Video

Because the pictures are hard to see the true beauty of Riccia Fluitans, I wanted to make a close up video of a piece of what is seen in person,

This Video Shows the Beauty of Riccia Fluitans

I'd like to encourage everyone to give that plant a try!

And for some photos:

Full Tank Shot

What I'd like you to notice here is that there is no surface film since the last water change. This is a sign of the aquarium leveling out and progressing into balance.

You'll remember that the progress of this tank has had surface film form the very next day after water changes during this establishment period. To the point where a paper towel was deployed to remove the film!

Now a point has been reached where this film is not occuring, and is a sign that everything is going well - no decomposing, excellent oxygen / co2 exchange and healthy organisms.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #487
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Frank any reason why you chose the Maculates over the smaller and more red Brigittae? I'm just curious because I thought about going with the Brigettae but decided not to at the last minute. It's the smallest (I think) of the Rasbora and is so small that it looks great in a nano.
SeattleFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #488
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleFishGuy View Post
Frank any reason why you chose the Maculates over the smaller and more red Brigittae? I'm just curious because I thought about going with the Brigettae but decided not to at the last minute. It's the smallest (I think) of the Rasbora and is so small that it looks great in a nano.
Great question!

The reason I went with Maculatus over Brigittae has nothing to do with the species (they're both great, I love the nano fish), but rather how they look.

The red's of the Brigittae was too dominate - I wanted more hues of red, and the coloration patterns of the Maculatus better aided in achieving what I was looking for: a fish that could contrast the bright greens while bringing out the accent colors of the tennellus.

Also, the Maculatus are here, so I'll be adding them to the tank tonight.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #489
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Teaser shot of the Maculatus:

Since it will be the end of the day when they go to my aquarium, and since they have been in a box for a while I went ahead and put them in a bucket with a live plant.

Rather than acclimate them to a tank here, then re-acclimate them again with three different scenary changes in a day, I simply drip acclimated in some planted tank water from the 60-P at ADG, which is of similar quality to that of the water in my home.

They've been happily swimming about in circles and have colored up a bit.

Not a single casualty so far.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #490
radioman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I saw this posted on ADG's facebook this morning. I will be in Houston in a second. Should I just walk in or knock?

Some people don't like riccia because of the mess but they are one of my favorite plants.
Canon Pimp Club #012
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #491
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Hey Radioman,

This tank is in my personal home, not at ADG hq.

ADG will be open tomorrow between 9-5.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #492
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Fun update, Fish!

Drip acclimation: 30 minutes.

Tighten the airline tubing with a knot to get it to drip in. This increases survival immensely.

Keeping the water level down for them for a while for oxygenation.

Happy and eating within 10 minutes in their new home. They should begin to color up over the next few days.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #493
roybot73
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)

Cool. Looking good!
I've got a brand new Mini M setup from ADG that I've had stashed for quite a few months now.
You're making it difficult for me to keep it stashed.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #494
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

I lied about them taking a few days to color up.

They've eaten four times now ( small portions ) in 30 minutes with ADA AP-1 Gold and have regained their original color, especially the black spots. Once they fatten up a bit and develop their color will be amazing hues.

I can't describe the dynamism they add to the tank, anyone without fish in their setup is missing out! Adds a whole new zen flair!

Currently 2 bps on co2. Will be monitoring plants and animals for tr appropriate co2 balance.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #495
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Great question!

The reason I went with Maculatus over Brigittae has nothing to do with the species (they're both great, I love the nano fish), but rather how they look.

The red's of the Brigittae was too dominate - I wanted more hues of red, and the coloration patterns of the Maculatus better aided in achieving what I was looking for: a fish that could contrast the bright greens while bringing out the accent colors of the tennellus.

Also, the Maculatus are here, so I'll be adding them to the tank tonight.
ahhh I see...funny that's the same reason I wanted the Brigittae, just goes to show that everyone has a different view.

How many did you go with? I thought I could count close to 20 in one of your shots.
SeattleFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.