vacume filter - diy poly, hob?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 09-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

vacume filter - diy poly, hob?

Ok, I am a algae grower. I am cheep. I did not listen to every warning...

Did I say I was an algae grower? I have planted more stem plants and promise will plant more (fill the tank if necessary over the next 2 weeks)

Till then am vacuming out algae every few days, which ends up being a 10% water change - that I would just as soon not have. Was thinking of a diy polyfill filter. basically run my vacume to it and recover the water.

ok, so am thinking about stuffing a plastic coffee can full of poly, then either draining the vacume over the top (and recovering from the bottom) or draining to the bottom and letting it overflow - into the 5gwb)

also thought about doing something inline with a 2-3 litter coke bottle - but felt that priming would be difficult.

Anyway - has anyone already tried this, does anyone have any comments, suggestions, potential improvements? Should I get a hob and just connect my vacume hose to it's inlet?
-----
9/10/05 ok, not really sure if I have beard or hair algae. Read that hair can be removed manually by swirling a toothbrush in it. Will try that first before I make the water scrubber.
-----
9/12/05 got some algae out, mostly just aggitated it. It is now on ever plant, not just the older ones...

Today is normal water change day, so will vacume out a lot of it anyway, will see if the need for a scrubber still exists. Water quality was way down the last week, and took a dive after the toothbrush attempt. not sure if a polly scrubber would help that or not, might need different media - a micro filter of some sort. Fear I am right on the edge of having green water outbreak - but maybe the water change will help that as well.

Last edited by jgc; 09-12-2005 at 01:07 PM..
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote