1 Gallon Glass Jars (diy)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 04-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

1 Gallon Glass Jars (diy)

So I've been collecting 1 gallon glass jars for the past year to have for raising fry in and anything else I might need a 1 gallon container for. I have somewhere around 15 of them and growing. I know aquarium people get creative and I've been thinking of different ways to use them, but I WANT YOUR IDEAS!

Anyone else out there use 1 gallon jars for aquarium stuff? Looking for ideas on how to use these things. Here are some of the things I've already thought of:

-Raising fry (using them as a small aquarium)
-Holding tanks for sick fish
-Using them as giant box fixtures just by adding an uplift tube and filling them with gravel and filter floss

I've also thought about ways to try and "connect" a row of them together and have water cycle through all of them and raise fry that way, but I haven't put anything together yet. It was going to utilize a syphon tube from one jar to the other so they were all connected and have the last one drain into a small aquarium where I would place the heater, filter media, etc. and a very small return pump would add water to the first tank, creating a circuit.

I'm also thinking about ways to use them in an emersed type setup since I caught the emersed bug. I think they would be good for keeping stems and plants that might need a little vertical support on the sides, or just using them for ground cover plants to separate them into perfect circles (the shape of the jar) which I could then pass off to others or sell. Obviously the height of the jar would be a pain to get in and out of with scissors and the like, but I imagine it would contain a lot of the moisture. I would need to consider drilling a drain though.

Let me know what you guys are thinking and if you have any ideas that I might not have thought of!

If you guys need any let me know! I went to That Pet Place and they were selling them for some outrageous amount like $7 or something...what a ripoff.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Powchekny
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Culture containers to raise daphnia, rotifers, infusoria, mosquito larvae

With the lids, great to move fish and critters in the car. They seal, so they won't leak if they fall over.

With a pump and some tubing, they could be a sump for a nano tank.
Powchekny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
ElBoltonero
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

People do mini planted shrimp tanks with them.
ElBoltonero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

A little moss, a twig or two and you have an opae (?) Tank. Those shrimp can live a ridiculously long time in a sealed tank. I'm think $20/per or so at the flea market...lol
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

I would probably set them up as a nerite breeding setup. One jar with an airstone and salt water and a few brackish graduating to fresh water. I'd love to see what kind of morphs would pop up.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
A little moss, a twig or two and you have an opae (?) Tank. Those shrimp can live a ridiculously long time in a sealed tank. I'm think $20/per or so at the flea market...lol
I had to search Opae to find out what you were talking about...strange to say the least haha
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
I would probably set them up as a nerite breeding setup. One jar with an airstone and salt water and a few brackish graduating to fresh water. I'd love to see what kind of morphs would pop up.
I've never had any nerites in my tanks...the MTS does the job pretty well. So well that I intentionally feed them to grow their population. When I first started up my planted tank the anubias had algae on it's leave from too much light. Once the population grew large enough I could start seeing lines on the leaves where the snails had eaten away the algae...it was pretty cool. Now all the leaves are clean

Plus don't nerites tend to "crawl" out of the aquarium sometimes?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Haven't had any pro s with nerites climbing out. But i almost did a dumb thing last night and threw a nerite in my shrimp tank that is currently housing 4 assassins....lol
Old 04-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

i'd line them up in a window, stick an airstone in them and plant em. Grow out mosses, stems, etc for scaping your main tanks.

Use for selective shrimp breeding or fry.

I like Bills nerite suggestion if thats something you're interested in.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.