DIY CO2 -Help-Quantity question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-19-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
texasgoldies
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question

DIY CO2 -Help-Quantity question

Ok, I'm getting brave and I am going to rig up the DIY CO2. I want to have lush plants with loads of growth, instead of a few leaves every now and then. I have goldfish, so the plants are of the easy to grow or maintain variety=anubias, moneywart, ludwiga, bacopa, amazon swords, anacharis...the goldies tend to eat the plants, so I don't do any fancy varieties-just cheap (for replacement purposes), but those listed have held up well enough to grow a bit- or atleast stay ahead of the goldies snacking. Occasionally, they go crazy, and I have to replace a few plants. I have a 100 gallon, an 80 gallon and a 38 gallon, all with about 2+ watts of light per gallon.

I hope you guys that have done this DIY CO2 for a while, would be willing to answer some questions:

*I have a lot of empty 3 liter coke bottles on hand, can I use them instead of the 2 liter size- to save on amount of stuff under the tanks? Or are the 2 liter size just better for this purpose?

*How many 2 or 3 liter sized bottles with yeast mix would I need for each tank to produce an adequate amount of CO2? ( I was thinking 3-3 liters for the 100, 2-3 liters for the 80, and 1-3 liter for the 38)

*Lastly, what amount of sugar and yeast for the 3 liter bottle? I have only found the measurements for the 2 liter and I am not sure how much to increase the sugar/yeast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
texasgoldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I wouldn't even attempt a DIY yeast system on an 80 or 100 gal tank unless you had reaction chamber the size of a half-keg.

The 38 gal is doable and even a 38 is on the margin of impracticle. But I'll let the other people fill you in on what they're doing for yeast recipes since it's been years since I've used the yeast method.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:21 PM   #3
timr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I wouldn't have the patience to run diy co2 on 3 tanks of those sizes. I tried with my 100 at one point i had 4 hagen co2 systems on it and i couldn't get more than 14ppm, all the power to you if you can keep up with it. I prefer less work.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:27 AM   #4
random_alias
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

I would not try it in an 80 or 100 either. I would say either go compressed or don't go at all. To get a DIY to run 30ppm on an aquarium of those sizes would be a big engineering challenge and maintaining it would take up a lot of time. You would need multiple containers fermenting and would likely want to run them all to one reactor. It would be messy, likely to have leaks, hard to troubleshoot, very inconsistent in the Co2 levels it maintained, etc. I wouldn't even consider it a practical possibility.

I tried it on a 55 and gave up. Went compressed. It's like going from pushing a car to driving it with an automatic transmission. It frees you up so you can focus on what's important, and constantly mixing yeast:sugar ratios or testing your ph every few days isn't what's important. Well worth the initial investment. You can pretty much set it and forget it and you have total control. You want 1 bubble per 10 seconds, you get 1 bubble per 10 seconds. You want 5 bubbles per second, you get 5 bubbles per second. You want 30ppm, you got it. You wanna see what 70ppm does for your plants, you can. Here's a big one...you want to cut it off, you can. You want to set it on a timer, you can. You want to use a reactor or diffuser that requires pressure to run, you can. If you see BBA creeping into your tank, you can up the Co2 to inhibit it. You want to save money in the long run, you will.
random_alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
actioncia
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/100%)

It would just be too cubersome to DIY for tank that size. 38 is pushing a bit. Why don't go with pressurized CO2? $ an issue? Or may be consider low light low tech to do away with CO2.
actioncia is offline   Reply With Quote