Do I Need Nitrogen?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Tien23
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do I Need Nitrogen?

I have a 7.9 Gallon Fluval Ebi with approximately 20 Cherry and Tiger shrimp in it and heavily planted. It is planted enough to fill much of the tank but not enough to eliminate nitrates. I want good plant growth so I can replant stems and fill the rest of the tank but I do not want to be trimming everyday. I dose with Flourish, Flourish Excel, and on occasion Flourish Iron, Phosphorus, and potassium. I never dose with Flourish Nitrogen as I do not want high nitrates to affect my breeding shrimp. My java fern has looked a little rugged lately and the plants haven't been growing as thick. I know nitrogen will assist but do I get enough already by feeding my shrimp? Is Flourish Nitrogen even necessary due to my feeding the shrimp and how much does it affect nitrate levels?
Tien23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

What's your WC schedule? all that dosing can actually be detrimental without wc's

Also did you start dosing because you werent getting any growth?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Tien23
Algae Grower

I don't keep to a hard schedule. I just monitor my nitrates and change water as needed. If my nitrates are at 10ppm for example, is there any point in dosing nitrogen. I don't think there is but I was just curious if the benefit would be good to the plants w/o harming the shrimp.
Tien23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

If you have calibrated your nitrate test kit, then 10 ppm is enough, assuming you don't have high light. But, if you haven't calibrated your nitrate test kit, "10ppm" could be nearly zero or nearly 50 ppm.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Nitrogen from fish (or shrimp) food is a fine source for the plants. I also moderate the amount of KNO3 based on the amount of NO3 in the tank. Most tanks need only a little bit to keep them in a reasonable range. Means the plants are pretty much using up the fish food source and need just that little bit more.
Fish food also contains phosphorus, and I dose KH2PO4 in a similar manner: If the NO3 level dictates little or no dosing, then the KH2PO4 dose is similarly adjusted.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
m8e
Planted Member

Do you know how much phosphorus there is in normal flake food? If i get enough nitrogen from the flakes can i assume that I also get enough phosphorus?
m8e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
flourish, nitrates, nitrogen, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.