Uncle Ned's Fish Factory
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 08-24-2004, 02:10 PM   #1
randomrambler
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Uncle Ned's Fish Factory

oh well. ill post anyways. there is Uncle Ned's Fish Factory VERY reliable. special orders pretty much anything and specializes in cichlids. Also there is Tropic Isle, 9 Pierce Street off of route 9 framingham/natick line. those are the only really reliable ones i know of (in my area)
randomrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
sly
Algae Grower

Best fish store in Massachusetts!! If you have any questions, goto their site and ask on their forum!
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
mr.gaboozlebag
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

another good one is all things fishy, in marlboro. good place, nice people, and some rare fish.
mr.gaboozlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
bmedeiros678
Algae Grower

meh

Last edited by bmedeiros678; 11-22-2009 at 05:37 PM..
bmedeiros678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:15 AM   #5
Minsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)

All Things Fishy gets in plants and fish that no one else gets, ever!
They need more people to buy up the plants so they have reason to restock though. Uncle Ned's is a great place, heaven for cichlid lovers. They need to learn a couple things about algae control, now that they are doing more and more planted tanks. I was there a couple days ago and they have huge clado outbreaks in a few tanks
Tropic Isle has set up a planted display tank now as well, and they are doing much better with the plants recently. It is worth visiting just to see their new nano reef displays... incredible! I still have mixed feelings about them though. Talk about overpriced, and you certainly aren't paying for the service

All and all, I think MA is doing all right for fish stores on the planted front, now if only more people would get interested. Maybe someday we could get a local place to carry ADA AS...
Minsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:20 PM   #6
bmedeiros678
Algae Grower

meh

Last edited by bmedeiros678; 11-22-2009 at 05:37 PM..
bmedeiros678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
Nite Vizhun
Algae Grower

Visited Uncle Ned's for the first time this past weekend. Great store. Both Ned and his brother are extremely helpful. Nice selection, from some Apistos to discus to a mind-boggling array of Africans. I picked up a pair of agasizzis and clown pleco, all are doing great.
Nite Vizhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
Chikorita
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (79/100%)

I used to buy everything at lovelys pets .. from tank, filter, feeder ghost shrimps .. feeder goldfish, feeder guppies, fish food, dead coral .. and plants .. and .. you name it ..
Anyway .. one day may be 10 months ago .. I bought 4 electric yellows from that store and Steve sold them to me at $25/each .. and they are all pregnants with eggs in their mouth .. I planted to buy just 1 pair but ended up with 1 male/4 females .. because STEVE said that once the baby hatched and about 1" .. bring them back and he will take them for store credit and I can use the store credit for other stuffs that I need .. Few months later .. the babies reached 1" and I called Steve about it .. He said "we cant take them - SORRY" and I was like ummm .. "OK" .. From then on .. I dont buy stuffs there anymore. Not good for a store Owner to go back to their word like that .. ..

I started going to UncleNeds for whatever stuffs I need ...
The Electric yellows just kept on breeding .. I had so many in my tank so I asked Neds if I can bring some in for store credit and he said "1.25"+ will be $2 store credit" .. I was very happy .. came home .. and brought 10 up to Neds for him to see them and hoping to get some java mass in return for them .. Then .. Neds said "I have too many yellows now so the best I can do for you is $6 for the 10 fishs" .. I dont want to take the fishs back home so ok I took and deal and wanted to get the java moss for that $6 store credit .. He gave me like a little tiny bit smaller than a goftball of moss ..

I tried again ...
one week later .. I brought in 2 Bichirs. I had them for like 1.5 years and they got too big for my tank .. so I brought them in hoping to get some fish foods for them .. and Neds took them in at $5/each .. and the Bichir was like 8-9" .. Well .. I cant keep them so okie I took the deal .. and the next day I came back to get some other stuffs .. I saw my Bichirs were sold at $65/each .. and one of them was already sold ..
Talk about making profit ..

From then on .. I dont go to LFS anymore unless .. it is an emergency situation where I cant get them online or cant wait to buy them online ..

I started joining aquarium fish clubs locally and surrounding the new england area .. and start doing my fish trading/buying/selling through the club auctions .. It is cheap selling in auction but at least I know someone wouldn not turn around and make tons of profit off my stuffs ..
Chikorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
Cattius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Chikorita, that's horrible. You should definitely keep spreading bad word of mouth about that guy for being such a jerk. My LFS is sort of overpriced but they seem to be helpful enough.
Cattius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Bump for neds
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
Say Car Ramrod
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

lovely pets is wicked expensive! about 45 bucks for a bag of ecocomplete! haven't made the trip to uncle neds yet, probably will during spring break when i'm at home in the other end of the state.
Say Car Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
wastedtime
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikorita View Post

I started going to UncleNeds for whatever stuffs I need ...
The Electric yellows just kept on breeding .. I had so many in my tank so I asked Neds if I can bring some in for store credit and he said "1.25"+ will be $2 store credit" .. I was very happy .. came home .. and brought 10 up to Neds for him to see them and hoping to get some java mass in return for them .. Then .. Neds said "I have too many yellows now so the best I can do for you is $6 for the 10 fishs" .. I dont want to take the fishs back home so ok I took and deal and wanted to get the java moss for that $6 store credit .. He gave me like a little tiny bit smaller than a goftball of moss ..

I tried again ...
one week later .. I brought in 2 Bichirs. I had them for like 1.5 years and they got too big for my tank .. so I brought them in hoping to get some fish foods for them .. and Neds took them in at $5/each .. and the Bichir was like 8-9" .. Well .. I cant keep them so okie I took the deal .. and the next day I came back to get some other stuffs .. I saw my Bichirs were sold at $65/each .. and one of them was already sold ..
Talk about making profit ..
Most fish stores will not give you a whole lot of money for the fish that you bring in. There are a couple of reasons behind this :

1. The store does not know if the fish that you brought in is healthy and survive long enough for them to make a sale. I am sure you have had instances where you purchased a fish from the LFS and it looked really healthy only to be dead a day later.
2. Whole sale prices are really really low, and most places offer less than half of what they pay for wholesale.
3. Most LFS dont want the hassle of everyone bringing in their fish for trade, Multiple reasons, ich, fungus etc, Offering low prices is a move to discourage this.

Also if you trade for other fish, the trade-in values are a little better, but they arent as good if you trade for plants or goods this mostly has to do with margins.

I go to an LFS that usually pays me decent prices, but that is mostly because they know me personally and they've never had a problem with any fish that I've brought in.

That said, try Skiptons (Unique Aquaria) next time around, i've found they offer better prices for trade-ins.

I personally like uncle neds, I've purchased several things from them and i've always been given freebies or discounts on almost every purchase I've made.
wastedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
Paragon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

+1 to Skiptons. If they know you have quality fish and plants, they'll give you a good price and sometimes a discount. I've brought in some cichlids and gotten 5-10; they sell for 15-20, but I don't mind.

Ditto for good-quality plants (a lot of the water wisteria there is mine) and shrimp. If you go in on Tuesday through Saturday, Jeff is there and he'll inspect what you have.

Uncle Ned's...well, they have the best cichlid stock in MA and some very good looking other freshwater fish. Much more diverse than Skipton's. However, they're waaay out of the way, the place smells horrifying because of the smoke, and I find the staff to be kind of obnoxious.
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
DrEd
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/80%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrambler View Post
oh well. ill post anyways. there is Uncle Ned's Fish Factory VERY reliable. special orders pretty much anything and specializes in cichlids. Also there is Tropic Isle, 9 Pierce Street off of route 9 framingham/natick line. those are the only really reliable ones i know of (in my area)
How does the special order work? Do you need to pay the shipping too?
DrEd is offline   Reply With Quote