Questions about substrate.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 04-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Questions about substrate.

I am needing to buy substrate for my 40b I am going to be setting up in a few months. I went and bought some black diamond but noticed I had gotten 40-80 grit. I have washed about 2-3 gallons of it to put in the 40 gallon with water, and I do not really think it looks that good. I might need to invest in a better planted tank substrate if I want to be happy with this tank. Some of the substrates I am looking at.

- Seachem Flourite sand, Black
- Seachem Flourite regular, Black
- Caribsea Eco complete
- Azoo plant grower bed

* Can I use just flourite as a substrate?
* If so how many pounds should I need?
* Is Azoo's Plant growing bed any good? Is it like aquasoil?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

How good a substrate looks is a personal thing. So, you may not like how Flourite looks either, or ECO complete, etc. You can use any of the commercially available substrates as a substrate, and grow plants well with any of them. First you need to decide what you want the substrate to look like, and go from there.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

Okay, How much would I need for a 40b of ecocomplete? Could I get 2 bags and mix in a little bit of black diamond? Or do I need to get 60 pounds?

What should I do?

- Eco complete 40 pounds
- Eco complete 60 pounds
- Flourite 45 pounds

I don't know how much I need to get.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
Sierra255
Planted Tank Obsessed

I didn't like the regular Fluorite (the brown and red gravel substrate). No matter how much washing and maintaining I did, it always kicked up dust when I did anything. Moving plants or decorations, water changes, etc. Some may be able to deal with that, but I couldn't. I have used Eco Complete (black) in two aquariums and really like it. It doesn't have the same 'dust' issue that Fluorite had. Plant growth in both has been about equal, but I was also at different stages of my planted aquarium experience when I've used them. When I used the Fluorite, it was the very first time I had tried to grow any aquatic plants. I'm not much more than that now, but I do have a little bit better knowledge than I did then, and it's been about five years, for what it's worth.
Sierra255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
Marko_Sp
Algae Grower

I have Fluorite black in my 450l aquarium - for base 150x55cm I spent 11 bags of gravel. I think that I had more problems with washing classic stone gravel than Fluorite (washing 10 minutes per bag), and after all I have added 3 bags in one year old planted tank full of water, without any dust or something.
Only plant with problems is Cuba, but I do not blame Fluorite. Bottom fishes as Ancistrus, Corry and Siamese Algae Eater dig it out, again and again.
Marko_Sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

I just bought 4 bags of Eco-complete on petco.com. I can't remember who it was but they posted a thread saying petco was having a sale on them right when I was in the market for some. WOOHOO.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
I just bought 4 bags of Eco-complete on petco.com. I can't remember who it was but they posted a thread saying petco was having a sale on them right when I was in the market for some. WOOHOO.
Should 4 20 pound bags be enough for a 40b?

Tags
gravel, plants, sand, substrate