You thought summer was near?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 04-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

You thought summer was near?

Couldn't have said it better than myself, though I am very convinced someone who has been messing with Google's Weather Control on April 1 actually worked for them.

Yeaaa, loved how it was 70-80's last few weeks, and now yesterday and today cold with rain/snow. But I guess we need the moisture cuz of all them fires, but why couldn't it just be cooler weather with rain instead!!

Old 04-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Hey, spring lasts 3 days here in SC and then it's straight to 90*F+ everyday
Old 04-04-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
iRun
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My cold acclimation is totally gone, I FROZE all day!
iRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default You Thought Summer was Near

Good morning E...

At least you got a little moisture. We're still "dry as a bone" to the east. But, I'm not complaining, everything at my place is xeriscaped!

Let it snow, but keep it in mountains and let it flow down here in the spring!

B
Old 04-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Scyry
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yeah, I was sweating like a pig working on the foreground for my house's yard scape all last weekend. Now I have open trenches everywhere, really looking forward to cleaning them out again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yard - 1.jpg (107.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Yard - 2.jpg (110.8 KB, 4 views)

Mr.Aqua 7.5 Gallon Cube
2.5 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront
Scyry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Weather here in NY is not normal.

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
moosenart
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

Our weather in Colorado is astounding. It's magic.

I ride motorcycles.
moosenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #8
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyry View Post
Yeah, I was sweating like a pig working on the foreground for my house's yard scape all last weekend. Now I have open trenches everywhere, really looking forward to cleaning them out again.
Wow looks like a big yard! What are you gonna put in it? I was looking forward on Monday to start working the ground as well for my little garden but the cold and drizzle put me off. And the Siberian Elms around here are sending out seeds like crazy it scares me cuz I have to deal with the seedlings/saplings and they are evil and hard to get out.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Scyry
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
Wow looks like a big yard! What are you gonna put in it? I was looking forward on Monday to start working the ground as well for my little garden but the cold and drizzle put me off. And the Siberian Elms around here are sending out seeds like crazy it scares me cuz I have to deal with the seedlings/saplings and they are evil and hard to get out.
Putting in sprinklers systems for grass. I took out 3 old dead/dying trees a couple summers ago, regraded the whole yard to slope away from the house better and built up a 2 foot rock wall on the street sides of the lot. Last summer we planted bulbs, some bushes, roses and a bunch of small trees. I also worked in a lot of compost, peat and manure because the entire yard is heavy clay. Should have an actual presentable yard this summer.

Haven't touched my garden yet besides clearing weeds and watering my strawberries and aspargas.

Mr.Aqua 7.5 Gallon Cube
Old 04-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

The weatherman keeps saying that we're going to receive snow, but we haven't. Just rain or sunshine with cold wind.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Marel View Post
Couldn't have said it better than myself, though I am very convinced someone who has been messing with Google's Weather Control on April 1 actually worked for them.

Yeaaa, loved how it was 70-80's last few weeks, and now yesterday and today cold with rain/snow. But I guess we need the moisture cuz of all them fires, but why couldn't it just be cooler weather with rain instead!!

we've already had 4 days in a row of over 90. yesterday it was like 87.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Hey, spring lasts 3 days here in SC and then it's straight to 90*F+ everyday
whats this spring you speak of? i'm not familar with that term. i know summer, and fall/winter.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyry View Post
Putting in sprinklers systems for grass. I took out 3 old dead/dying trees a couple summers ago, regraded the whole yard to slope away from the house better and built up a 2 foot rock wall on the street sides of the lot. Last summer we planted bulbs, some bushes, roses and a bunch of small trees. I also worked in a lot of compost, peat and manure because the entire yard is heavy clay. Should have an actual presentable yard this summer.

Haven't touched my garden yet besides clearing weeds and watering my strawberries and aspargas.
Sounds like a big project! My parents had the 3 dying trees cut down and grind the stumps. I wanted to put some raised garden beds in their place but parents won't allow it.

What kind of compost did you use? Did you make your own, or buy it?

I gotta amend my soil too, I currently have two bales of Happy Frog Soil Conditioner, but I'm thinking of getting some other bagged stuff to add to the ground like Clean Earth Soils Compost Mix, Cow and Compost, and maybe a couple bags of Earthworm Castings with Compost.

The soil hasn't been touched since my parents planted some nasty creeping junipers back when we moved to this house.... ~16 years ago. So I dug out most of what I can, though there are still a little bit of juniper roots, and a bunch of Siberian Elm saplings on the edges. Back breaking work!

Looks like weather really is quite different depending where you live in the US! The clouds are looking like they are up to no good this afternoon and the wind picked up.... grrr....
Old 04-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Scyry
Planted Member

My parents have horses and cows at their place. They pile up the shavings and horse crap and the left over hay and cow manure. After a couple years they add it to a larger pile that has been going for about 10 years. So everytime I went to their place the past couple years I took my trailer and brought back a couple yards of compost they made. The whole yard I have worked the compost into the top 8 to 12 inches of soil. I added some chelated iron the past fall too. The new grass should do really well in it.

Mr.Aqua 7.5 Gallon Cube
Old 04-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #14
Eden Marel
Planted Tank Guru

Wow nice to have free stuff!! 10 years, must be some really nice stuff. Bet your grass is gonna do so well you're gonna need to mow it nearly everyday!! xD

If I could work in that much compost via bagged stuff it cost me over $300. I already spent $45 for two bales of Happy Frog Soil Conditioner which doesn't even cover 1" in my plot. Probably gonna pick up some Brownie Dairy Cow (1.25 cu ft) manure and Clean Earth Soil Compost Mix (1 cu ft) which are both about $6 per bag at HD... so that I have a mixture of stuff to feed the soil.