12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe! - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #61
micr0
Algae Grower
 
micr0's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
Where did you get that light? and why is the reef thing in there? (the black thing that you see on every reef tank)
There are actually two lights, they are archaea 36 watt pc clip lights. The "reef things" are koralia nano powerheads. Not sure why these are associated with marine tanks, as they are the best smaller powerheads I've used for fresh or salt. I've found that maintaining good water movement has been very important with this tank.
__________________
micr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #62
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru
 
sunyang730's Avatar
 
PTrader: (32/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by micr0 View Post
There are actually two lights, they are archaea 36 watt pc clip lights. The "reef things" are koralia nano powerheads. Not sure why these are associated with marine tanks, as they are the best smaller powerheads I've used for fresh or salt. I've found that maintaining good water movement has been very important with this tank.
So this mean you use the power heads instead of a spray bar for this work? Interesting! I will think of this because my tank is lack of water movement. LOL
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #63
micr0
Algae Grower
 
micr0's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
So this mean you use the power heads instead of a spray bar for this work? Interesting! I will think of this because my tank is lack of water movement. LOL
Yes, I don't use a spray bar, but the eheim 2215 outflow is still the biggest water mover in the tank. The koralias help prevent any dead zones. Their only drawback is that they can be dangerous to shrimp due to their open design. I no longer keep shrimp in this tank.
__________________
micr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #64
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
sockfish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: True North
Posts: 403
Default

Finally. "Step Two" complete. Just found a Fluval 205 on super sale [they're being discontinued so the lfs had a good deal]. I'm thinking that with a spraybar or powerhead in the tank it should be fine.

Now now I have a tank and a filter. Lights are next. Then some awesome wood.This build goes so slowly on a budget, but I want to wait and get the good stuff...

sox
__________________
Endangered Species tank: Colony of Charachodon encaustus officially registered with the C.A.R.E.S. Preservation Network.

12G Rimless Club
sockfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #65
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru
 
sunyang730's Avatar
 
PTrader: (32/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,176
Default

Okay, So I am planning to get a Eheim Canister Filter 2213 (is this strong enough), a spray bar for it (where can I get this?) and 2 26w Light like Neo has.

Is this good enough for this tank?

Also, the pipe that came with the Eheim Canister, will that be too long?

If I don't want a Canister filter, what kid of HOB can I get?

Thanks!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #66
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (426/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,284
Default

Eheim 2213s come with spray bars. However, they won't be long enough to cover your entire tank. You'll need to create one yourself out of rigid tubing. You can see how to do so in my thread or in the threads of others who have commented here.

Eheim intake tubes are too long/tall for this tank but they're easy to cut down with a hacksaw or Dremel.

There are so many HOB filters on the market that it's up to you to pick the one you like, really. AquaClear seems to be a favorite HOB brand here on the forum, as it's affordable and easy to modify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyang730 View Post
Okay, So I am planning to get a Eheim Canister Filter 2213 (is this strong enough), a spray bar for it (where can I get this?) and 2 26w Light like Neo has.

Is this good enough for this tank?

Also, the pipe that came with the Eheim Canister, will that be too long?

If I don't want a Canister filter, what kid of HOB can I get?

Thanks!
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #67
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru
 
sunyang730's Avatar
 
PTrader: (32/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Eheim 2213s come with spray bars. However, they won't be long enough to cover your entire tank. You'll need to create one yourself out of rigid tubing. You can see how to do so in my thread or in the threads of others who have commented here.

Eheim intake tubes are too long/tall for this tank but they're easy to cut down with a hacksaw or Dremel.

There are so many HOB filters on the market that it's up to you to pick the one you like, really. AquaClear seems to be a favorite HOB brand here on the forum, as it's affordable and easy to modify.
HUM... I guess I will take a look at your tank LOL
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #68
sayurasem
SCAPEr
 
sayurasem's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Posts: 2,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
Not enough 12G members yet. We really need to get it out there for people to join and participate. I say we start a RAOK just for members? Hint hint?
12 Gallon Loooooooooooooooooooooooooong Club perhaps?
And it shouldn't matter if you have Mr. Aqua or GLA?

I start!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #69
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru
 
sunyang730's Avatar
 
PTrader: (32/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
12 Gallon Loooooooooooooooooooooooooong Club perhaps?
And it shouldn't matter if you have Mr. Aqua or GLA?

I start!
Which one is better? Anyone have experience?

I want to get one soon but they are all out of stock
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #70
sayurasem
SCAPEr
 
sayurasem's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Posts: 2,558
Default

*** LoL nvm this thread is the Club!
@NeoShrimp, so can we start with the number please?

If I'm correct, from counting the people that post pictures of their tank... I'm # 9?
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:17 AM   #71
II Knucklez II
Planted Member
 
II Knucklez II's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 157
Default

hey love all the tanks i really want to get one soon but look what i found by the green machine in the UK AMAZING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRxbErSngJE
II Knucklez II is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #72
sayurasem
SCAPEr
 
sayurasem's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Posts: 2,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Knucklez II View Post
hey love all the tanks i really want to get one soon but look what i found by the green machine in the UK AMAZING
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRxbErSngJE
Wow! super awesome!!
Man my imaginary is "shallow" compare to him lol.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #73
yellowsno
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
yellowsno's Avatar
 
PTrader: (24/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bayside,NY
Posts: 528
Default

Wow I've been looking into getting a 12 long... In the hands of the right people it can look amazing
yellowsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #74
sayurasem
SCAPEr
 
sayurasem's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Posts: 2,558
Default

Ok here's mine on emersed
Now the Waiting Game.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #75
OVT
Carpe Diem
 
OVT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (142/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SF East Bay Area
Posts: 5,147
Default

This thread was pointed out to me by sockfish. Thanks!

My 12G Mr. Aqua has been running for about a year now. I started with a single Finnex PX-360 filter which needs pretty regular cleaning to keep the flow going. About a week ago I hooked up an Eheim 2026, but had to use a ~30" spray bar to keep the substrate on the bottom, and not the top . This tank is viewable front and back and the long spray bar is getting on my nerves. I finally decided to try 2 PX-360s, one on each end. I should have the second Finnex installed over the weekend and the Eheim delegated to something else.

I do like my tanks bright, very bright. I have a 2x39w Hagen Glo light with pressurized CO2 on this guy and that seems to work for me.

__________________
Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
12 gallon long, 12 gallon rimless, mr aqua, nano tanks, stand

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012