fish tb incubation period?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question

fish tb incubation period?

First off, I have no idea or proof that I've even had any fish with fish tb (can't remember the proper name just now).
My 40b was my first tank, and it is a hodge-podge of many fish. At it's max it had 4 tiger barbs, 3 rosy barbs, 11 neons, 5 black tetras, 5 harlequin rasboras, and 3 male guppies. (I told you it was strange)
It's been set up about 2-1/2 years. The male guppies harassed each other no end. About 6 months ago, one of the guppies quickly developed that exaggerated spinal curve and soon after died (within a few weeks). After that, within a 3 month period, I lost one black neon and one harlequin. I don't know how or when, or what they looked like before they died - they just disappeared. Eaten after death, I presume. This past week I lost one of the other guppies. He was looking rough like he'd had it with chasing/being chased by the one remaining guppy. Ratty tail, exhausted, but not deformed looking.
So, I don't know if the first guppy had tb, or a genetic deformity, or nutrient deficiency, etc. How long would it take to see signs of tb in other fish? It creeps me out to think I've had my hands in the tank, even though I wash up right after. Also I don't know whether it's safe to move any of these fish into a new tank I'll be setting up (that would be combining these fish with others from yet another tank).
What do you think? I admit I'm one of those that freaks out over potentially contagious things!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
mcaquatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Time to clinical signs with TB (Mycobacterium marinum) really varies greatly from fish to fish. Some succumb quickly while others do well for a long time. The only way to rid your tank of it is to cull everyone and bleach everything. If your fish have TB and you move them to a new tank, friends tank, LFS, etc you are most likely infecting the new tank.

Also always good practice to wash your hands. People really shouldn't contract mycobacterium marinum unless they are immunocompromised. Still always be cautious.
mcaquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

fish TB is super rare, i highly doubt thats what your fish have bin dying from
jreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Thanks - I realize there are other reasons fish can develop that extreme spinal curve and I've only lost a couple of fish in that tank in two & a half years, but I want to err on the side of caution. I will be breaking the tank down because my coworker is buying it, and I don't want to house these fish with any from other tanks, nor do I want to sell them back to a lfs just in case. They will get dispersed into their own newly emptied 29g tanks...I imagine I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but I will bleach and completely rinse the tank before giving it to my coworker.
Thanks folks ~
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #5
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

i think cleaning the tank well before giving it away is a nice thing to do anyways.
jreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
mcaquatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
fish TB is super rare, i highly doubt thats what your fish have bin dying from

actually it is really common and the diagnosis is often missed due to lack of diagnostics. I worked with a tropical fish/aquaculture lab for a bit and it was one of the most common diagnosis.

Mycobacterium marinum can be found in most of our tap water.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
mcaquatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

also i think i could be pretty wrong about the bleach. There is a good chance bleach doesn't kill the bacteria.