plastic melted on coralife T5 need suggestions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
ShadowBeast
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Elizabeth,NJ
Posts: 391
Default

plastic melted on coralife T5 need suggestions


one of the bulbs burnt out on my Coralife Aqualight T5 Dual Linear Strip and it melted the plastic cover that protects the bulbs from water.
So now I need to replace the fixture and I was thinking either one these http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquari...-Fixtures.aspx or http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquari...ble-Light.aspx but I'm worried that they won't have the same beautiful lighting the aqualight had.
does anyone have any experience with these light strips? or suggestions on one?
the tank is a 20 gallon long with plants and hoping to get shrimp again.
ShadowBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?
 
Wasserpest's Avatar
 
PTrader: (175/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 15,096
Default

No experience, but can you perhaps replace the damaged cover, either with a replacement part from the manufacturer, or with a similar acrylic part from the BORG or Lowes etc?

Sometimes calling the manufacturer and calmly explaining what happened can have amazing results.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
h4n
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (713/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlton, Mass
Posts: 4,910
Default

I would call coralife first. There customer service was great.
I have a 6 month old coralife PC fixture and a bulb burnt out. And it looked like it was a defective bulb because the end was semi melted. And I call and boom 3 days later a new bulb arrived.
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
ShadowBeast
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Elizabeth,NJ
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
No experience, but can you perhaps replace the damaged cover, either with a replacement part from the manufacturer, or with a similar acrylic part from the BORG or Lowes etc?

Sometimes calling the manufacturer and calmly explaining what happened can have amazing results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4n View Post
I would call coralife first. There customer service was great.
I have a 6 month old coralife PC fixture and a bulb burnt out. And it looked like it was a defective bulb because the end was semi melted. And I call and boom 3 days later a new bulb arrived.
Thanks I'll try that and see if they can help.
ShadowBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
SPKehl
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 16
Default

I have had this happen on 2 of my Coralife T5 lights. The last one looks like about 2 inches of the shield actually caught on fire. I decided to replace the fixture with a different brand.
SPKehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
ShadowBeast
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Elizabeth,NJ
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPKehl View Post
I have had this happen on 2 of my Coralife T5 lights. The last one looks like about 2 inches of the shield actually caught on fire. I decided to replace the fixture with a different brand.
What brand did you go with and how is the lighting?
ShadowBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
SPKehl
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 16
Default

I went cheap. I went with an Odyssea dual T5HO fixture from aquatraders. I can really see the difference in light output. I can see a major change in the growth rates of the low light plants I have in the tank.
SPKehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
ShadowBeast
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Elizabeth,NJ
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPKehl View Post
I went cheap. I went with an Odyssea dual T5HO fixture from aquatraders. I can really see the difference in light output. I can see a major change in the growth rates of the low light plants I have in the tank.
Was the light and plant growth better.
ShadowBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
SPKehl
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 16
Default

yes and yes
SPKehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
ShadowBeast
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Elizabeth,NJ
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPKehl View Post
yes and yes
Nice I'll check it out.
ShadowBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
ShadowBeast
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Elizabeth,NJ
Posts: 391
Default

Is the "AquaticLife Dual Lamp T5 HO Freshwater Light Fixtures" any good? is the lighting better then coralife's aqualight?
ShadowBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
ShadowBeast
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Elizabeth,NJ
Posts: 391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBeast View Post
Is the "AquaticLife Dual Lamp T5 HO Freshwater Light Fixtures" any good? is the lighting better then coralife's aqualight?
Also would it be too much light for a 20 gallon long?
ShadowBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #13
Cason
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northeast Georgia
Posts: 78
Default

Holy crap. I am really ticked at myself for not looking at the Odyssea before I bought 2x54w fixture. I paid like 150 bucks for this fixture and I am having to wait for the vendor to ship new bulbs. Ugh. If it is what it says it is, I'd go with the Odyssea no doubt.
Cason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
ShadowBeast
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Elizabeth,NJ
Posts: 391
Default

Okay Coralife's warranty only covers the fixture for a year so unfortunately I got the unit in 2010 so there's help there.

I want to get the Aquaticlife T5 HO duel fixture but I'm curious would that be low,med, or high light for a 20 gallon long tank? and why is the 30" one out of stock in almost every website?(I guess it's really popular)

I checked out the Odyssea and unfortunately it does not come in 30".
ShadowBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light fixture

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012