Considering ADFs?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Myrr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Red face

Considering ADFs?

Not sure if this is the section for them... Not fish, not inverts...Hrmm!

Anyway, I'm considering looking into ADFs (African Dwarfs, not clawed) for my smaller planted tanks. However, Im getting some seriously conflicting info and its confusing the daylights out of me.

Here's my thing:

While at college (which is most of the year minus a few week-long breaks, 1 month in winter and 2.5 months over summer), I can have two 5.5-6g tanks running. They're both moderately planted with lots of stems and floaters and a number of bottom plants. One tank would be permanently occupied by a betta (and therefore unusable). The other 5.5g would be up for grabs, though.

However, I then have a problem. When home for those few months, I can only have one 5.5g, a "standard" rectangular kit tank. I'd have to have the betta and the ADFs in the tank (still planted), but divided.

How much space should these guys get? Dont I need at least two (and I wouldnt get more than that..)in a tank? So would the pair be ok in a 5.5 by themselves and then ok if they got like 3-3.5g of the tank for a bit of the year?

I dont want them cramped :C The params would be fine and maintenance, too- that's not an issue. I just dont want them all sad and smooshed.

It'd be nice to have them Any other info appreciated!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
garfieldnfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

It could be done. I heard of some people successfully keeping a beta and ADFs together even. That would depend on the personality of your beta. You could try it and see if he gets along with them and if not put in the divider. You do need at least 2 of the ADFs. They are social and like company of their own kind.
20g L174/L46/RCS/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L316/L46/Amano shrimp, 10g yellow rili, 15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras,10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys/RCS
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
speerwashere
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Here is an excellent place to ask anything about dwarfs http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/DwarfAfricanFrogs/. Stewart Halliday is on this group and he has wrote probably most of the Aquawiki or what ever it's called. You will get the best answers there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrr View Post
Not sure if this is the section for them... Not fish, not inverts...Hrmm!

Anyway, I'm considering looking into ADFs (African Dwarfs, not clawed) for my smaller planted tanks. However, Im getting some seriously conflicting info and its confusing the daylights out of me.

Here's my thing:

While at college (which is most of the year minus a few week-long breaks, 1 month in winter and 2.5 months over summer), I can have two 5.5-6g tanks running. They're both moderately planted with lots of stems and floaters and a number of bottom plants. One tank would be permanently occupied by a betta (and therefore unusable). The other 5.5g would be up for grabs, though.

However, I then have a problem. When home for those few months, I can only have one 5.5g, a "standard" rectangular kit tank. I'd have to have the betta and the ADFs in the tank (still planted), but divided.

How much space should these guys get? Dont I need at least two (and I wouldnt get more than that..)in a tank? So would the pair be ok in a 5.5 by themselves and then ok if they got like 3-3.5g of the tank for a bit of the year?

I dont want them cramped :C The params would be fine and maintenance, too- that's not an issue. I just dont want them all sad and smooshed.

It'd be nice to have them Any other info appreciated!
speerwashere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adf, african dwarf frog