Planted HOB thread.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Planted HOB thread.

I started this thread because of the interest I see from other members to start their own planted HOB.

The cascade 200 hob comes with an attachment that is perfect to be planted. Then the rest is adding media instead of their cartridges in the back. I'm sure you can make a lil mesh bag filled with soil and plant thru the mesh.

An hob resembles to me an hydroponic pot pot, it does get decent light too! Even in a low light tank!

this is my other planted HOB with baby tears I collected from a lake, invasive species... its better for it to be in my hob rather than in that lake:

In both HOBs I have there is fluval or eheim biomedia instead of the stuff (sponges or cartridges) that came with the hob. In top of the media there is a small square of sponge or pad (don't remember), in top of that moss and in top of the moss plants.

In one of the hob the moss goes all the way down to the substrate of the tank and the plants too.

When I clean the filter I just pull the plants and moss that is attached to that pad or sponge and fold back into the tank, go clean it, put it back in the tank and then unfold/ place the pad again in the same position, there is very little root growth into the media.

Now, because of the plants you will evaporate more water than your HOB already does normally. I was Surprised by this and I was looking around for leaks! Lol!

The HOBs can be noisier with their lids on, this is why I did this. To my surprise again, the plants provide excellent sound dampening.

please share you pictures and experience here

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

Last edited by pejerrey; 10-24-2012 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: pics
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
TWINSCREWED
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thats a great idea. What is that you have planted in urs? All my small tanks have multiple hob's (for redundancy after a failure of 1, ugh); this would work wonders to hide them and add interest to the tank top. Thinking this would compliment the riparium planters I have in my bigger tanks. gonna follow to see what others think/contribute.
TWINSCREWED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINSCREWED View Post
Thats a great idea. What is that you have planted in urs? All my small tanks have multiple hob's (for redundancy after a failure of 1, ugh); this would work wonders to hide them and add interest to the tank top. Thinking this would compliment the riparium planters I have in my bigger tanks. gonna follow to see what others think/contribute.
Thank you!
Xmas moss
Whorled pennyworth
Lobelia cardinalis

In the back and not very visible:

Urtricularia foliosa
Frogbit

My plan is to plant it more soon.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

That's pretty cool. I've seen some put peace lilies or crypts in their HOB, but you have a very unique idea going with the xmas moss.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Oh wow, that is totally nifty. Hmmm.
thechibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Very nice!

I had thought about planting in the media box at one point. I really like your idea of planting the over flow. I would think one could completely hide the HOB with a little planning.

Would you share a pic of the grid you planted on before the plants were added?

Last edited by DogFish; 03-25-2012 at 12:40 PM..
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

Thank you all, I was just trying to be clever. This is just the start, I will be adding more.

What is planted for now is the "bio falls" (G). I'm planning to plant the media box by adding a mesh bag of substrate.

I asked "what can I grow here" to sfbaaps members growing emersed plants, and Neil Shieh answered me to grow moss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Shieh
You could grow mosses provided that some of the moss stems can wick water to the rest of the plant from the water outflow. You could grow any of the common mosses such as java, flame, xmas, etc. you could try sandwiching the moss between the attachment and the outflow and have the moss grow out of it.
A neat idea would be to grow purple bamboo in your HOB! they'll grow right out and they look nice

Old 03-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

User "nyyanks" added some screen to the cascade of his HOB( to diffuse the flow I think?) however, this would work as a planting mesh for moss.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
josolanes
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very cool idea! I'll be following this thread for sure

Click here for my 20G High Tech Tank Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey
"Give a man a fish and he will get a bowl, teach a man how to keep fish and he will get a planted tank"
josolanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
aweeby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)

terrestrial mosses do decently as well. I had some extra club moss leftover from a hike collection for my terrarium, just threw it in the HOB to store it temporarily and it's gone and created a nice bio filter. In another tank, I'm using hydrocotyle in the same way. It does pretty well on my canister's outflow as well. I tried UG once but I didn't have enough and it washed away. :/
Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
terrestrial mosses do decently as well. I had some extra club moss leftover from a hike collection for my terrarium, just threw it in the HOB to store it temporarily and it's gone and created a nice bio filter. In another tank, I'm using hydrocotyle in the same way. It does pretty well on my canister's outflow as well. I tried UG once but I didn't have enough and it washed away. :/
Ok, you have to share some pics!! Sounds awesome!

Gals, guys please suggest other suitable interesting plants. I love the idea of "hiding" my HOB under plants!
Let's see who does it first!

Old 03-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

I have riccia growing on every single sponge in every HOB I've got going. And I've never purposefully introduced it to the filter. About once a month I clean it all out and it's back the next.

Maybe I should leave it and add some random strands of moss.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

My idea for hiding my HOB (I haven't done it yet) would be to get some pond foam like Great Stuff or open cell foam and cover the HOB with it, then tie moss or fissidens to it. You could still leave the HOB open and keep a riparium plant in there.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomecatcher View Post
My idea for hiding my HOB (I haven't done it yet) would be to get some pond foam like Great Stuff or open cell foam and cover the HOB with it, then tie moss or fissidens to it. You could still leave the HOB open and keep a riparium plant in there.
Oh, I see... How do you keep the moss wet then?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
Oh, I see... How do you keep the moss wet then?
It doesn't have to be aquatic moss. Terrestrial moss would work just fine (even though technically most moss grow terrestrially naturally, some are just tolerant enough to be grown fully submersed). I think the humidity and the splashing would be enough moisture for something like fissidens if it is given enough time to adapt to dryer conditions.

Or I guess you could spray it every day. *shrug*

Another thing I have seen people with frog terrariums do is create foam backgrounds and cover it with silicone, then press dried sphagnum moss or coco husk all over the wet silicone.

For example: http://bigalsonline.blog.com/2011/08...um-background/