new 15gal planted non co2 w/ guppies
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Big Tuna

PTrader: (0/0%)

new 15gal planted non co2 w/ guppies

Hi everyone!
I picked up a tetra 15gal success kit the other day that I want to use to start a planted tank (included Tetra whisper pf10 filter, good enough for now, a 50w heater and a fluorescent light fixture; $40). I have an outline of what I want to do but I always appreciate suggestions.

For substrate, I plan on using a 15lb bag of flourite mixed with regular gravel. I'm also going to use KNO3, KH2SO4 and SeaChem Equilibrium for traces (I used this website as a guide: http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...ed-tank-guide/ )

The question I have about fertilizers (bear in mind that I don't have experience with planted tanks )is that when it says 5.27ppm of NO3 does that mean the concentration should be 5.27ppm? So I'd have to add more KNO3 to a 90gal tank than a 15gal one? (sorry if the question is confusing ) Are there any dosing calculators you guys recommend?

My next question is lighting: The fluorescent tube that came with the tank is a Marineland F15T8 18" natural daylight tube with 15 or 17w. Are there other 18" tubes that would be better for this kind of setup?

Last but not least plants. I was planning on putting java fern and cryptocoryne wendtii in there. are there other plants that you would recommend?
I always appreciate suggestions so don't be shy

Thanks!

Tuna
Big Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
SearunSimpson
Wannabe Guru

I think you should first decide on how you want to plant your tank and then tweak the lighting from there. If you already have your lights then you'll want to adjust your planting and/or light duration.
Java fern and crypts are generally low to medium light plants but (slow growers) but can thrive and flourish in high light set ups if you are also dosing Co2 given that you are dosing ferts.
As for substrate, I used to really like flourite, but have since switched to Fluval Stratum or ADA Aquasoil, or similar. I found that Flourite's rough/sharp edges were a little rough on my crypts roots when I was planting/scaping and that I had more crypt-melt from it than when I use the Stratum or AS- as the small beads would more or less just 'fall' around the roots anchoring them instead of cutting into/stabbing them, like the Flourite did...
There is much to learn young Padawan.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
SearunSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
smokaah
Planted Tank Obsessed

I switched to Flourite when I replanted my tank a few months ago. My plants are loving it. I also have the Fluval Stratum in my nano. It's very good but somewhat pricey. As for ferts a nicely stocked tank will take care of itself in my opinion. Unless you get into red plants you may need iron, in which case u will need higher light and CO2.

The Fluval mini Co2 injection system would work for a 15 gallon if u are looking for pressurized co2.
smokaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:58 AM   #4
Big Tuna

I don't want to dose CO2 at the moment, just low doses of KNO3 and PO4 with traces. Really low tech if you will.

SearunSimpson: Does the substrate make a big difference or is it just personal preference?

I'd like to keep the lighting at what I have right now (about 1wpg) unless there's a better alternative that fits my hood. As for plants, I like to keep it at low maintenance, they shouldn't need CO2 or high light or be red (if that requires co2 and high light). What are some other good plants that fit this bill?
Big Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote