Rimless tank pre order - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Southern Oak Aquatics

Old 03-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #31
darkestsky
Sponsor

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockfish View Post
I think the lighting will be fine for what I want to do--I've ordered the 5 gal to upgrade my Betta's home. He's happy lurking in his ferns, and it looks like a great tank for the price.

Does this mean you are not going to sell them after all?

sox
Probably not. Penn Plax has a pretty hefty minimum order. Well, it's pretty hefty for a business this size. I will be carrying tanks in the near future, but probably not the Penn Plax.
To view our complete line of shrimp, fish, and planted aquarium goodies, visit our sponsor's forum at:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/so...-oak-aquatics/
Or our website at:
http://www.southernoakaquatics.com
darkestsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #32
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I just received my 5 gal Penn Plax. The best part about it is the tank itself. That being said, the filter and plastic top are about as cheap as they could be, but are functional.

The light is ridiculous. It is 0.6 watts and could serve as a moonlight at best. It is so cheap there isn't even an on/off switch and you have to unplug it to turn it off!

It looks like a real hassle to return [I bought it through Amazon from another seller] or I would definitely send it back for a refund.

All that being said, it's still a decent upgrade from my betta's 3 gal bowl which had no filtration. The filter does seem to pull water through and there is an opening at the back for heater and filter cords. And a top to keep him from jumping out.

sox
Old 03-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #33
darkestsky
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcancino View Post
any news yet ?
The bare, ADA quality tanks are delayed a bit. They're a new product for the distributor and will be out later this year. See below for some info on some kick ass kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockfish View Post
I just received my 5 gal Penn Plax. The best part about it is the tank itself. That being said, the filter and plastic top are about as cheap as they could be, but are functional.

The light is ridiculous. It is 0.6 watts and could serve as a moonlight at best. It is so cheap there isn't even an on/off switch and you have to unplug it to turn it off!

It looks like a real hassle to return [I bought it through Amazon from another seller] or I would definitely send it back for a refund.

All that being said, it's still a decent upgrade from my betta's 3 gal bowl which had no filtration. The filter does seem to pull water through and there is an opening at the back for heater and filter cords. And a top to keep him from jumping out.

sox

Thanks for the review. I kind of figured the tank would be the only worthwhile part of the kit. The problem with that, as a retailer, is that the bare tanks come "nested". So in order to get 1 tank, I have to order 1 of each size.
To view our complete line of shrimp, fish, and planted aquarium goodies, visit our sponsor's forum at:
Or our website at:
Old 03-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #34
darkestsky
Sponsor

So, the distributor that I'm looking at now is having a slight delay on the release of it's ADA style tanks. They're new products for them and will be available later this year.

That said, they do offer a kit right now that I'm considering carrying. Here's the details:

6.6 gallons 12.6" x 12.6" x 13"
High clarity, rimless glass construction
The included light looks fairly stylish and contains 11 1 watt LED's. At the pet expo the thing looked pretty darned bright.
The included filter is "smoked" plastic HOB with a very slim design so the tank can be close to walls. It pumps 66 GPH and uses a new "zero bypass" design. Comes with a built in prefilter over the intake.
I honestly can't remember if the lid was plastic or glass.

Retail price would be $99.95

There's also a 14.5 gallon 19.6" x 13.3" x 17.3" for $129.95

What do you guys think?
Or our website at:
Old 03-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #35
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Wish I'd saved the $65 to spend on that! I think my Betta is afraid of the internal filter after all this time in an unfiltered bowl...

sox
Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #36
Hcancino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkestsky View Post
So, the distributor that I'm looking at now is having a slight delay on the release of it's ADA style tanks. They're new products for them and will be available later this year.

That said, they do offer a kit right now that I'm considering carrying. Here's the details:

6.6 gallons 12.6" x 12.6" x 13"
High clarity, rimless glass construction
The included light looks fairly stylish and contains 11 1 watt LED's. At the pet expo the thing looked pretty darned bright.
The included filter is "smoked" plastic HOB with a very slim design so the tank can be close to walls. It pumps 66 GPH and uses a new "zero bypass" design. Comes with a built in prefilter over the intake.
I honestly can't remember if the lid was plastic or glass.

Retail price would be $99.95

There's also a 14.5 gallon 19.6" x 13.3" x 17.3" for $129.95

What do you guys think?
i guess it all depends on what all the LEDs can grow and how good the filter is. you think that light can grow foreground plants? im a little bit interested
Hcancino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 05:01 AM   #37
darkestsky
Sponsor

Quote:
i guess it all depends on what all the LEDs can grow and how good the filter is. you think that light can grow foreground plants? im a little bit interested
It's hard to say. I've only ever seen it under the glare of an expo center and the light looked pretty bright. I was impressed by the filter when I saw it. I liked it better than the internal filter that comes with the Penn Plax (I keep mostly shrimp and I don't like internals for that). I also like it better than the "sump and cave" design of the Aqueon.

I'm going to be placing a smallish order with the distributor to test out several of their products. I'll do thorough reviews of them all on here when I do.
Or our website at:
Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #38
Hcancino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkestsky View Post
It's hard to say. I've only ever seen it under the glare of an expo center and the light looked pretty bright. I was impressed by the filter when I saw it. I liked it better than the internal filter that comes with the Penn Plax (I keep mostly shrimp and I don't like internals for that). I also like it better than the "sump and cave" design of the Aqueon.

I'm going to be placing a smallish order with the distributor to test out several of their products. I'll do thorough reviews of them all on here when I do.
Keep us posted please! I need a reason to start a rare crypt/high grade shrimp tank
Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #39
darkestsky
Sponsor

Quote:
Keep us posted please! I need a reason to start a rare crypt/high grade shrimp tank
Need any Wine Reds or OEBT's for it?
Or our website at:
Old 03-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #40
Hcancino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I will once it is purchased and set up!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.