Methods of Algae Control - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > The Planted Tank FAQ

Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #31
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplove25 View Post
SAE:

I think you have the SAE mistaken for the Flying Fox? I've kept a group of 5 true SAE's in my 75g for over two years now. I think they are maxed in size at about 4 1/2 - 5 inches. They do not eat my small fish or mosses. I can't comment on shrimp since i have never had any in my tank. They are only semi aggressive with each other and my Red Tail Shark bullies them all.

You did a great job with this article but in my personal experience i have never had a problem with the SAE's.
FYI, I am not confusing SAEs with Flying Fox.
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #32
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

I hate SAE's
Lazy good fer nuthing after they get bigger.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 08-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #33
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

This is a great thread, why isn't it stickied? I probably found more information in this thread than I did looking at the last 5 pages of "help me, help me", and most of the "help me, help me" threads could be taken care of by reading this one thread...

I suggest someone either sticky this thread, or compose a stickied thread that points to this and other very helpful algae threads.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:49 AM   #34
macclellan
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)

Good 'article' overall, but the section on RCS applies equally for many other non-Amano shrimp (Tigers, Snowballs, etc.), and a discussion of H2O2 is missing alongside the glut discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
This is a great thread, why isn't it stickied? I probably found more information in this thread than I did looking at the last 5 pages of "help me, help me", and most of the "help me, help me" threads could be taken care of by reading this one thread...

I suggest someone either sticky this thread, or compose a stickied thread that points to this and other very helpful algae threads.
This forum is shy on adding worthy subforums and stickies, rather unfortunately. There should at least be a sticky of useful threads like this one. There is a HUGE gap between the few articles on the site and the knowledge buried in the forum.
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #35
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Yes, and I found it quite unsettling that this post was on page 5 between "omg, WHAT IS THIS" and "HELP!!! I HAET ALGAE!!", and that I had to wade through 5 pages just to see this one. It makes me wonder how many more useful articles were compiled but that I'll never see... Because hell if I'm gonna wade through every page to find the diamonds :P

Instead, make a sticky called "Useful information about algae" or "Threads about combating algae" and then have a list of links... Lots of forums do this because it is a great way to organize information. Instead, we have "OMG, ALGAE IS KILLING MY HC, WHAT DO I DO!?!??11" posts that have to be answered on a case by case basis.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #36
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Wouldn't it be better to simply ask a moderator than to post messages criticizing the lack of stickies? Especially when you are asking for such? It is a great article.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #37
jmhart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
Good 'article' overall, but the section on RCS applies equally for many other non-Amano shrimp (Tigers, Snowballs, etc.), and a discussion of H2O2 is missing alongside the glut discussion.

This forum is shy on adding worthy subforums and stickies, rather unfortunately. There should at least be a sticky of useful threads like this one. There is a HUGE gap between the few articles on the site and the knowledge buried in the forum.
I've never used H2O2 in the treatment of algae, but I know a lot of people do. If you write something up, I'll edit it into the Glut section. Either post it here or PM it to me.
jmhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:13 AM   #38
justin182
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

A very good thread, dude!!!
justin182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #39
snausage
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

Very good thread; just wanted to add my two cents.

Of all the fauna listed to combat algae, I've kept nerites, ottos, amanos, mollies, and rcs. All do an admirable job cutting down algae, although IME mollies devour any leaves that aren't thick and hardy so I'll never keep them in a planted tank again.

Amanos are more expensive, but if you buy in bulk on aquabid they're about the same cost as rcs. They won't breed unless you add salt, but I've had the same group of them for 3+ years.

However, I've found that the best, cheapest and by far the easiest way to combat a large amount of algal growth is with the good ol' tag along snail (the species with a rounded shell, not the malaysian trumpet snail). They're free, breed at an exponential rate and they'll survive in the most abysmal water conditions. Yes, they attract widespread derision from most experienced hobbyists, but they're so functional. If they get too out of control, a yo-yo loach will make quick work of them. I must have had at least 200+ tag a longs in my first tank and one yo-yo got rid of them in 3 days.
snausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 AM   #40
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Wouldn't it be better to simply ask a moderator than to post messages criticizing the lack of stickies? Especially when you are asking for such? It is a great article.
See if Jim will edit some and then add it as a stickie, then also link some other good algae references to it also, eg, root cause issues, speculated causes etc........

Dusko's article is good.
Jim can add that and others.

Not that many newbies will read it, but some sure will.
Most are freaked when they have algae and post, why do I have it and how to get rid of it. Few think it's a plant growing, gardening issue, not a disease.

I'm not sure the best method to help new folks resolve their algae issues, but a lot of repeating will be needed no matter how good an article is written, they will miss things and need reminding, more help and the forums are good for this.

Still, a good article thereof is a wise stickie.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 08-31-2010, 04:30 AM   #41
Baadboy11
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
See if Jim will edit some and then add it as a stickie, then also link some other good algae references to it also, eg, root cause issues, speculated causes etc........

Dusko's article is good.
Jim can add that and others.

Not that many newbies will read it, but some sure will.
Most are freaked when they have algae and post, why do I have it and how to get rid of it. Few think it's a plant growing, gardening issue, not a disease.

I'm not sure the best method to help new folks resolve their algae issues, but a lot of repeating will be needed no matter how good an article is written, they will miss things and need reminding, more help and the forums are good for this.

Still, a good article thereof is a wise stickie.

Regards,
Tom Barr
This would be good to put in a noobies section, and try and direct all new folks to that folder, I've seen that done in other forums with success.
Baadboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #42
FishWorks AK
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default good to know on the siamensis...

Thank you for the info, I have had mine for about a year. I have yet to see them attacking the other fish, but they do seem to be neglecting there algae
FishWorks AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #43
Philosophy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Bump for a great read!
Philosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #44
asherah
Algae Grower

Can I add amano shrimp if I have dwarf cichlids ? Would love to get some to eat algae.
asherah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:52 AM   #45
jnatelborg54@gmail.com
Algae Grower

Wow, what a great article. I am learning so much from these forums!
jnatelborg54@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote