PC lights cracking
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 09-05-2003, 08:15 PM   #1
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wired up my lighting for my 120g soon to be planted tank this morning(still cycling). Ten minutes after running the lamps (two 96watt PCF) both went pop and stopped working, luckly shut down before I lost anything else . I found the ends where they are joined to have cracked.... They never got wet, or even bumped and are held in the DIY hood by standard clips and reflectors.... Seems strange... Not good, the plants I ordered are to arrive today

Anyone ever have PC's fail like this before?????

Jason

P.S. I never formally introduced myself... I am from michigan, technical agent by day. Been keeping fish sense I could walk(29 years old now), just got hooked on planted tanks durning the last few years and have been fine tunning my skills in this arena(still an algea grower).... Perfer community fish, but I have kept almost everything.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2003, 08:21 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

How much air ventilation do you have around the lights? I had several bulbs do this due to overheating.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 08:31 PM   #3
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Actually these fixture are at the back of the hood(which is completly open), are at least 3-4 inches above the glass covers of the tank(my hood is similar to the one Buck has on his site), not to mention they were on for 10min max. I suppose air flow could be an issue, but I have easily 10 times more clearance than over the counter lighting fixtures using the same bulbs :shock:

I am not sure... Could have been fatigued in shipping, I guess....

Jason
Old 09-05-2003, 08:37 PM   #4
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Its possible... Did the break occur at the bend at the tip of the bulb? Or are your bulbs just twin tubes fused at the tip?
Old 09-05-2003, 08:46 PM   #5
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

GDominy,

They are the twin tubes fused. And yes they cracked at the end where they are fused....

Jason
Old 09-05-2003, 09:10 PM   #6
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

yeah I have seen that happen before.. usually there is some hairline stress fracture that blows apart when the glass heats. If it doesnt heat "perfectly" the stress of the expanding glass simply bursts open an existing fault.

The bulbs should be warrantee'd for this kind of fault. Mine were at least. See if you can get them replaced, and maybe get them to fire them up at the store so you can see them.

Gareth
Old 09-05-2003, 09:12 PM   #7
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

Gareth,

Thanks for the help.... I will be checking on that ASAP...

jason