Sam's 20 Long Rimless Tranquility
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru
 
samamorgan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,234
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan
Default

Sam's 20 Long Rimless Tranquility


I figured that I might as well start one of these journals, as much as I do to my main tank on a constant basis. I completely redid my tank from the substrate up on 2/3/2012, transplanting everything from my old setup. A well cleaned garbage can served as a temporary fish and plant home. I redid this thing for a couple reasons. Firstly, the gigantic rock i had in there was taking up too much room, i never saw any of my amanos because they always hung out behind it, and the damned thing was just a big algae magnet. Plus, the nice front to back slope I originally had went away after multiple replantings (I can never seem to stay satisfied). So here's the old setup:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	41474

And the new setup Changed 2/13/2012:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0503.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	41473

Got tired of the tannis from the mopani wood, two days after water changes i had tea water. Went down to the rocky creek a block from my place and found some nice rocks, here's the latest iteration:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0512.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	42137
__________________
LED Lighting Compendium
20 Long Rimess w/LEDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.

Last edited by samamorgan; 02-16-2012 at 03:50 AM..
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
WillPlanted
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seal Beach, California
Posts: 15
Default

i really like the new setup, its going to look great once everything fills in.
__________________
WillPlanted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru
 
samamorgan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,234
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan
Default

Updated
__________________
LED Lighting Compendium
20 Long Rimess w/LEDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
PTrader: (98/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,390
Default

Hey, can you tell me about your lights?
-did you have to build them yourself?
-are they considered high light?
-how much did it run you?
-what is the PAR?

I have a 20 gallon high shrimp tank with some mosses that are thriving. Looking to upgrade to LED and the one that caught my eye is the AquaIllumination NANO...the only confusion is how the heck would I mount it above my tank.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
2in10
Planted Tank Guru
 
2in10's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sparks, NV
Posts: 2,585
Default

Very nice change
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #6
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru
 
samamorgan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,234
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Hey, can you tell me about your lights?
-did you have to build them yourself?
-are they considered high light?
-how much did it run you?
-what is the PAR?

I have a 20 gallon high shrimp tank with some mosses that are thriving. Looking to upgrade to LED and the one that caught my eye is the AquaIllumination NANO...the only confusion is how the heck would I mount it above my tank.
The lights are Ecoxotic Panorama Freshwater modules. The modules themselves are made to mount to a flat surface, like inside a hood. I used a 30"x6" piece of glass, drilled mounting holes, and mounted the modules to the glass. The two end bolts that they are mounted to are threaded eye bolts, and i hang the whole shebang from a wall mounted bracket.

They are right on the border between medium and high, at 60-70 PAR at the substrate. I wouldn't go any higher with the light personally, one imbalance in Co2 or ferts starts a major algae outbreak very quickly (found that out the hard way).

The entire setup broke down about like this:

2x Panoramas: $180
6"X30" piece of glass cut and finished at a glass shop: $6
Misc bolts, washers, nuts, hanging hardware: $10-15
Glass drilling bit: $5
Couple hours of piddling around with it

Total: ~$200 + couple hours of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Very nice change
Thanks! I will get new pictures up as soon as i get my regulator back (my dual stage crapped out!!) and the addition of Co2 kills off the algae farm this thing has turned into with the absence of Co2. I easily have three times the stems i had in there before, things just shot up like crazy. The HC has almost completely covered all remaining substrate.
__________________
LED Lighting Compendium
20 Long Rimess w/LEDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,316
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Looks great and removing the wood was a good call.

Did you de-rim a 20L or buy one? Reason I ask is I have been looking for a standard rimless 20 long forever but can't find one.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru
 
samamorgan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,234
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Looks great and removing the wood was a good call.

Did you de-rim a 20L or buy one? Reason I ask is I have been looking for a standard rimless 20 long forever but can't find one.
I bought this one locally. It's made by Aqua Pro and my LFS stocks them. The guy there told me that Aqua Pro only sends out these and a couple other dimensions of rimless tanks to distributors, and the ones they have listed online are a small part of the full lineup of sizes they offer. I believe the guy that started Aqua Pro had a store here in Seattle for a while (or so i heard) so the stuff is available in a few stores locally.

The glass is 3/8" or 10mm and the seam quality is very good, normal iron glass. Cost me $110+tax for the tank.

I have another 12"x12"x12" cube from the same store made by AquaPro that uses 1/4 or 6mm glass which i'm also very happy with. same great seem quality and it's starfire as well. That one sas $60+tax
__________________
LED Lighting Compendium
20 Long Rimess w/LEDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,316
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samamorgan View Post
I bought this one locally. It's made by Aqua Pro and my LFS stocks them. The guy there told me that Aqua Pro only sends out these and a couple other dimensions of rimless tanks to distributors, and the ones they have listed online are a small part of the full lineup of sizes they offer. I believe the guy that started Aqua Pro had a store here in Seattle for a while (or so i heard) so the stuff is available in a few stores locally.

The glass is 3/8" or 10mm and the seam quality is very good, normal iron glass. Cost me $110+tax for the tank.

I have another 12"x12"x12" cube from the same store made by AquaPro that uses 1/4 or 6mm glass which i'm also very happy with. same great seem quality and it's starfire as well. That one sas $60+tax
Right now I have quite a collection of 30 in lighting so this is great to know. Thank you for the insight.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru
 
hedge_fund's Avatar
 
PTrader: (98/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Greenwich, CT
Posts: 3,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samamorgan View Post
The lights are Ecoxotic Panorama Freshwater modules. The modules themselves are made to mount to a flat surface, like inside a hood. I used a 30"x6" piece of glass, drilled mounting holes, and mounted the modules to the glass. The two end bolts that they are mounted to are threaded eye bolts, and i hang the whole shebang from a wall mounted bracket.

They are right on the border between medium and high, at 60-70 PAR at the substrate. I wouldn't go any higher with the light personally, one imbalance in Co2 or ferts starts a major algae outbreak very quickly (found that out the hard way).

The entire setup broke down about like this:

2x Panoramas: $180
6"X30" piece of glass cut and finished at a glass shop: $6
Misc bolts, washers, nuts, hanging hardware: $10-15
Glass drilling bit: $5
Couple hours of piddling around with it

Total: ~$200 + couple hours of time.


Thanks! I will get new pictures up as soon as i get my regulator back (my dual stage crapped out!!) and the addition of Co2 kills off the algae farm this thing has turned into with the absence of Co2. I easily have three times the stems i had in there before, things just shot up like crazy. The HC has almost completely covered all remaining substrate.
Thanks for answering this.
Very nice looking tank btw.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
el_heb
Algae Grower
 
el_heb's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mexico
Posts: 119
Default

Sam

Really nice tank you've got there

How many modules would you recommend for a 48x16x20 tank? I was thinking of going with 3 modules of Panorama Pros or 2 Kessil spotlights, but i'm unsure of the lightspread and intensity

Thanks!
el_heb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru
 
samamorgan's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,234
Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_heb View Post
Sam

Really nice tank you've got there

How many modules would you recommend for a 48x16x20 tank? I was thinking of going with 3 modules of Panorama Pros or 2 Kessil spotlights, but i'm unsure of the lightspread and intensity

Thanks!
I think 3 mounted with a 2-3 inch gap between would be fine. Have to raise it 7-10 inches above the water to get proper spread, though.
__________________
LED Lighting Compendium
20 Long Rimess w/LEDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
monkeyruler90
Wannabe Guru
 
monkeyruler90's Avatar
 
PTrader: (64/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 1,309
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Default

looking good
__________________
--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
monkeyruler90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #14
UtricSeb
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Medellin, Colombia
Posts: 3
Default

Hello,

I am just starting to mount a new 55" x 20" x 20" planted tank and am trying to decide which lights to use. I am highly interested in leds because that will be cheaper to run in the long term.

I wonder how tall is your tank? I want to figure out how much Ecoxotic Panorama LED modules would I need but canīt figure it out from the information available here. I want to achieve medium light levels (PAR between 50-70 on the soil).

Thanks for any help.

Sebastian
UtricSeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #15
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Amandas tank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alaska
Posts: 744
Default

I would say your tank has become beautiful I really like how you placed the rocks. It's amazing how some of us rescape our tanks. They always look alright in the beginning than a couple changes later they are incredible! Great work
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012