12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Just planted it yesterday, still not finished.
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
manualfocus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA View Post
Absolutely gorgeous plants. What sp. of Erios are they? You must have RO water and Co2 in this tank? Very inspiring.. I see you have some really nice Bucephalandras there too
I've got the following:
  • Erio Cinereum
  • Erio Kimberly
  • Erio Japan
  • Erio Aussie II
  • Erio "Mini"

Trying to find space for a Erio Matto Grosso but that thing is huge! It's 100% RO and a little CO2. I'm cutting the CO2 once everything grows in and I add the expensive shrimps back in. Glad you like it!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #18
manualfocus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasob85 View Post
Just planted it yesterday, still not finished.
That looks awesome. Well done.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

coming from you, thats high praise. your tank looks so much nicer than mine haha.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #20
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

In the club, just by virtue of having the GLA version. It's sitting on my nightstand completely empty as I meditate on what to do with it. Having a thread for it was inevitable, it's such a unique tank. I'm enjoying watching everyone's build.

dasob85--where did you get the wood? It's very nice.

sox

12G Rimless Club
sockfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi Sox, I ordered 3 pieces from PC1 and used 2 pieces for the left long one, and the right long one. Cut off a branch and stuck it in the middle to make a nice fan shape. superglued and used stainless steel screws to fix everything together to a tile to prevent potential floating issues. In summary, I cheated and used 3 separate pieces :p

btw, after i saw this thread, i had an incentive for setting up the tank I look forward to seeing yours!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #22
algarciajr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

All of these nice 12g tanks are making me want to get one.
algarciajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #23
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (372/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by algarciajr View Post
All of these nice 12g tanks are making me want to get one.
Get one get one!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #24
thermalgibbon

Those tanks are amazing. I'm in love with the long style. Right now I'm emailing around to see if I can buy it from anywhere in Canada (and not pay $150 for shipping from green leaf aquariums).

What do you think is the best LED light for a tank like this? It seems like it's a bit of a tricky spot in that it's long so that lights that cover the whole length are going to be powerful, but since it's so shallow they might be too much. I see some people here are using multiple clip on lights.
thermalgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #25
Ptjameso
Algae Grower

I love long ones (thats what she said) ....but seriously I want to see someone do an awesome stream type setup in a 12 long please
Ptjameso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #26
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalgibbon View Post
What do you think is the best LED light for a tank like this? It seems like it's a bit of a tricky spot in that it's long so that lights that cover the whole length are going to be powerful, but since it's so shallow they might be too much. I see some people here are using multiple clip on lights.
ADA has the marineland double bright 36' long on his tank. I dont think he uses co2 though.

I got it too but i'm still in the dry start phase. on day 6 and my HC does seem to grow under the light if that helps. I do plan on putting co2 on my tank. Its rated to have 54 par at 12 inches by the manufacturer.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #27
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualfocus View Post
I've got the following:
  • Erio Cinereum
  • Erio Kimberly
  • Erio Japan
  • Erio Aussie II
  • Erio "Mini"

Trying to find space for a Erio Matto Grosso but that thing is huge! It's 100% RO and a little CO2. I'm cutting the CO2 once everything grows in and I add the expensive shrimps back in. Glad you like it!
If you cut the CO2 that'll be good for the shrimps, but your precious Erios might slowly melt away.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #28
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

So what filters are people using on these--I guess I'm taking a poll. I know I want this to be the cleanest looking of all my tanks--I don't want to see any green tubes or black boxes for filters or heaters. And I'm not going to settle for anything less, I'll just wait until I can afford it.

I'm guessing I need a canister filter with clear tubing and lily pipes. Do you usually get the lily pipes separate after the other stuff so you know what size? Any advice out there? Looks like a lot of you are doing it right!

thanx sox

12G Rimless Club
sockfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #29
ADA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptjameso View Post
I love long ones (thats what she said) ....but seriously I want to see someone do an awesome stream type setup in a 12 long please
LOL

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasob85 View Post
ADA has the marineland double bright 36' long on his tank. I dont think he uses co2 though.

I got it too but i'm still in the dry start phase. on day 6 and my HC does seem to grow under the light if that helps. I do plan on putting co2 on my tank. Its rated to have 54 par at 12 inches by the manufacturer.
I do have that light, yes.. I love it. Absolutely love it. (so much that I bought two of them.. haha)
I have had lots of success growing plants. If anything, this light is too bright for low tech.. be careful, or you end up with LOTS of algae. Having said that, my shrimp tank has never had Co2 so I have not tried it as a high tech.
As low tech, I've had to raise the light quite a bit, and only have about a 7 or 8 hour photoperiod. Finally got the algae under control and everything seems to be nicely balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
If you cut the CO2 that'll be good for the shrimps, but your precious Erios might slowly melt away.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm 99.9% certain you can't grow any type of erio without Co2.
I do grow some "high light plants" in this tank though, like HC, Blyxa(spelling?), and a few others, and they grow VERY slowly, but do grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockfish View Post
So what filters are people using on these--I guess I'm taking a poll. I know I want this to be the cleanest looking of all my tanks--I don't want to see any green tubes or black boxes for filters or heaters. And I'm not going to settle for anything less, I'll just wait until I can afford it.

I'm guessing I need a canister filter with clear tubing and lily pipes. Do you usually get the lily pipes separate after the other stuff so you know what size? Any advice out there? Looks like a lot of you are doing it right!

thanx sox
Definitely a canister. I'm not so sure about lily pipes. Because it's such a long tank, it's not easy to get the water all flowing without any dead spots. I had an Eheim 2213, and I didn't feel like there was enough flow. I tried a few different things with that, one was splitting the intake and outflows, so there was an intake and an outflow at each end, to try to create a slow "whirlpool" effect. Just wasn't enough power in that filter even for that. I also tried a long diy flow bar, which worked okay.
I'm now running a Fluval 306, which is incredible. LOADS of flow/power, (too much in fact) but the great thing is, you can adjust the flow with a lever. I think even a 206 (or 205/305) would be fine.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #30
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think when I was deciding on my canister filter, a majority of ppl suggested eheim 2115.

mine is collecting dust right now due to the dry start so i can't comment on how powerful it is. I did like my eheim when i had a big tank years ago though. I got lily pipes already too. The green tubing outside the tank doesn't really bother me. I'm just a very optimistic person and hopes that everything works

Tags
12 gallon long, 12 gallon rimless, mr aqua, nano tanks, stand