My n00b introduction
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 02-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
fishnovice33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My n00b introduction

First of all I just want to thank you guys so this site, as it has served me very well as a guide to my first set-up which was 9 months ago. I loved this site so I decided to sign up.

Now don't laugh at my setup, some of you guys are real experts I am just starting out. Everyone starts somewhere right? I realize my plants are a bit under grown but these lights suck, just don't have the funds to buy nice ones just yet. I do this as a hobby but I have little time to learn so I might progress at a slow rate. Not to mention the funds needed for this hobby! . Anyways I thought I would share my very very basic set-up.

I have a 20 gallon, running on a 2115 classic (I love eheim) with 5 neons, 3 orange vons, 3 glow lights, 3 rasboras, Bumble bee Molly, 2 cories and a oct. algae eater, Panda platy and a Tiger platy. 100% full tank. Sorry for the pics they are from an Iphone I don't have digital camera.

My goal was to mate to Panda with the Tiger platy. Tiger plat is my favorite, he is more vivid than the pictures allow and he was near death when I found him in the store. When he got back to health is is so bright looking for a tropical fish that isn't a cichlid.

I successfully mated the panda platy mom you see in the tank with the tiger platy. Weird thing is I got 80% pandas lol! I did get about 5-8 Tigers and a new weird combo, with the orange of the tiger with black spots like the panda, only 1 of him but he is feisty.

One picture if of my 7 gallon petco tank which has the offspring of my mates.

Now that I played around with the hobby and am confident I can do it, I am going to devote some major time into this next project. I have a 50 gallon seclear that just arrived in the mail today, I plan to slap a 2217 on it, a nicer light, and a nice skimmer...and it will be my ultimate masterpiece, so I hop see hear/see more of you guys in the future because I'll probably be back for help...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	41364  

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	41365  

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	41366  

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	41367  

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	41368  

fishnovice33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
So_Fishy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Hi and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the success of mating your platys. Your plants look healthy to me. Hope to see you on the other threads!
So_Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
fishnovice33
Algae Grower

Thanks man! Yea there are like 10 different varieties of plants, I enjoy the Anubis species the most because they don't need light. With my 50 I am hoping to include some very rare and harder to keep species that require more light.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
sushisnake
Algae Grower

Hi Fishnovice!
I'm new too.
I think your tank's pretty. The plants look good. If mine looks that good in 9 months time I'll be happy!
sushisnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
fishnovice33
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushisnake View Post
Hi Fishnovice!
I'm new too.
I think your tank's pretty. The plants look good. If mine looks that good in 9 months time I'll be happy!

haha thanks, really I don't have much time other than enough for maintenance on them. This is soon going to change once I set up my 50 which I have just now bought all the supplies (skimmer, 2217, heater, stand).

Now that I have 3 separate tanks, 7,20,50 I am really going to invest my time into something creative and beautiful. I am apparently growing algae lol but I will always lurk. Thanks for the info guys!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
LetThereBeFish
Planted Member

Welcome to thy forum! Looks like your on the right start. Your hygros put mine to shame.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Aquasafe
Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquasafe
Thumbs up

Welcome! We're new here too...
Aquasafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #8
Sukhoi
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Sukhoi

I really like your platies. Great color and patterns. Hope you like the forums. Great place for information and support.
Sukhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Welcome to the forum. I agree you have nice healthy plants.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
ferretowner96
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Holy cow! I have been messing with planted aquariums for about 3-4 years and your tank looks better than any of mine! Awesome job!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
WVDiscGolfer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Welcome, your tanks look great!
WVDiscGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
fishnovice33
Algae Grower

Hah you guys are too kind, I'm just getting started! I am back to buy some dirftood here, I think I will be getting some Mazanita driftwood instead of the malaysian. I'm going to really do this 55 gallon right. She's going to be my baby. I have about $800+ in this one and will have close to a thousand when I have the species I want.

Some day I hope to have more but I am already pushing the limits with wifey...haha...so now I concentrate on detail.

I'm not sure how the trust system works yet so maybe more pictures of my project will help my case with so little posts. I am just learning so much it's hard to contribute, in fact I am not even logged on most the time. That just shows how great the information is here .

Thanks guys!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Wow, looks like you are off to a great start. Sorry I missed you first post but you look like youve got a great beginning to your new tank! I would look into some substrate research and try not to skimp on the good part after getting this far. Its a common mistake but a highly underrated part of a tank. Its the difference between a good one and a great one
Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

nice tanks.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #15
fishnovice33
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Wow, looks like you are off to a great start. Sorry I missed you first post but you look like youve got a great beginning to your new tank! I would look into some substrate research and try not to skimp on the good part after getting this far. Its a common mistake but a highly underrated part of a tank. Its the difference between a good one and a great one
Just ordered 120 pounds of eco-complete.

Up until now I just kept the gravel clean and used a regimen of ferts, but I am rehauling all three tanks, the two largest with black eco complete and the smaller one with red eco complete, and because it has much better lighting it will become a dedicated plant tank where I will hopefully grow patches for my 50. I also ordered some Manten stone from afa.

In the mean time, while cycleing the 50, I will be looking into better lighting and just use these at night or as a back-up. Once I get the species I want its go time.

I plan on breeding every now and then and will offer some in the swap, maybe even some panda platies I have now if anyone is interested.

Thanks guys, great things to come with patience and money, both things I am running out of but this will be a glorious tank!

I should probably start a diary...