West Virginia legislature passes sweeping anti-pet law. Your state is next!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

West Virginia legislature passes sweeping anti-pet law. Your state is next!

This really stinks...

http://www.therepublic.com/view/stor...--XGR-Animals/
hydrophyte is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Well there goes my plans of getting a tiger.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'm a bit worried if the law is so vague that parrots and goldfish are outright banned. But we've apparently had enough Darwin Award winners that tigers have to be banned. It's kind of sad that people would think "oooh! Exotic animal! Make me look AWESOME!" instead of caring for the animal. :/ Most folks don't realize the care and trouble an exotic pet can need and be.

For example, a lot of wolf hybrid dogs can't be vaccinated for rabies... and for those of us living in the south with bats, this could end particularly badly.
thechibi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

The current form of the law categorizes basically everything that isn't a dog or cat as an exotic animal.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I saw a huge discussion about this on another forum. The word "exotic" is so vague it's ridiculous. Really anything that's not native is considered exotic, such as hamsters and many fish and reptiles. Hmmm I wonder if a french poodle is considered exotic too? Or a german shepard? It's just a shame when common sense has to be legislated because some people are too dumb to know that keeping a gorilla in your basement probably isn't a good idea, just like letting your python loose in the everglades cause you're sick of feeding it isn't a good idea.

Dumb people ruin everything!
wendyjo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

What will happen is that most hobbyists who keep snakes or tarantulas or frogs or whatever will just quit their hobby and get rid of their animals. Small stores that depend on these kinds of animals for a lot of their sales will go out of business. Even if this kind of law passes in just a few states it will discourage people everyhwere from taking up the various hobbies with unusual pets.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Stupid reactionary laws like this come up in every state in regard to every hobby.

What I do not understand is how we keep electing these idiots.

We spend way too much time trying to control each other in this country.
DogFish is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

The people who make me as angry as the politicians are the ones in the various natural resources/environment/wildlife departments. They know or they should know how flimsy a lot of the science is behind these restrictive laws, but they are happy to just let them go through because it gives them more new enforcement duties.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
thechibi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Stupid reactionary laws like this come up in every state in regard to every hobby.

What I do not understand is how we keep electing these idiots.

We spend way too much time trying to control each other in this country.
Unfortunately, it's because of people who keep venomous, dangerous or even exotic animals irresponsibly. I'm sorry, but there are plenty of AWESOME doggies without needing a freaking wolf hybrid or god forbid, a wolf itself. Wolves are wild animals and should be treated with appropriate respect. Not to mention the veterinary issues...

The people who release them into the wild. The guy whose boa ate a toddler because he didn't lock it up. The guy who had a tiger in his APARTMENT in New York and gets eaten, much as one would expect. The people who illegally smuggle endangered species (Photo shoots with tiger cubs in malls and parking lots...). The lady who had to have chimps as pets and because of it, her friend lost her face, eyes, and a good deal of her hands. Innocent people suffer because someone is irresponsible. Native wildlife is decimated because some derpaderp chucks his goldfish into the river, screaming, BE FREE WILLY!

People panic after these incidents. Who wants to live next to someone who doesn't treat a wolf, tiger, giant or venomous snake with respect? Not me. And it's certainly not always fair to the animals, either. I bet that tiger in the apartment wasn't happy.

Since people panic, the politicians react to reassure people.

With some refining, this law could help deal with dangerous, illegal and endangered animals. As it sits, yeah, this is a terrible idea. It's a lot like pit bull breed controversies. Most of the fault lies with an irresponsible owner. As it sits, no, it isn't a good law. I wonder why they don't consult experts first.

And it is sad that responsible pet owners will suffer for this because they keep unusual pets. My friend loves corn snakes and I love going to see them. Tarantulas... I dunno about them! :P Birds are nifty, too. But a lot of people don't care for parrots properly and the end result is often very sad.
thechibi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #10
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (439/100%)

While obviously extreme, I think we're jumping to conclusions here on the forum. Primarily because of a reactionary comment in the piece about "parrots"/goldfish and such.

The WV general assembly won't allow the legislation to exist if anything greater than cobras, tigers, bear and the like are included. If it doesn't work in Kentucky, it won't work in WV.

And to be fair? The Dept. of Natural Resources in WV probably has more sense in its thumb than the entire legislature. At least when it comes to the environment. In Kentucky, for instance, our general assembly has less common sense than my dog. And I'm nearly certain I could prove that in court.
somewhatshocked is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

My latest statement about state departments of natural resources is not so balanced and I apologize if I offended anybody. My main example in raising that point is the USFWS python ban. The idea that pythons could become established across wide areas of the United States is ludicrous and they know it.

I have known people in our own state department of natural resources who were dedicated professionals with balanced perspectives, but I know that there is also a "ban everything" mentality out there too.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechibi View Post
...Since people panic, the politicians react to reassure people...
And that is stupid and done not to protect but to gain political advantage.

Of course it's tragic when child dies because their fool for a parent does't control the family pet be it cat or tiger. There are plenty of laws all ready on the books. The money wasted in drafting redundant, reactionary laws could be better spent enforcing the existing laws.

Doctor/medical practitioners kill 10Xs the people that die each year from gunshots via medical malpractice. Yet we don't see hysterical legislation protecting us from Doctors.
DogFish is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Please re-read the sticky in this forum, appropriately titled:

Please read: Lounge rules!
Wasserpest is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.