DIY - Fluval Chi hood / CFL stand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
jointbeaker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default DIY - Fluval Chi hood / CFL stand

I've been lurking on the forum for about 2 months now, and it's doing nothing but driving the girlfriend insane.

I picked up a Fluval Chi 5 gallon from the local PetSmart for 35 dollars, and wanted to make some sort of hood/cover/stand for a cheap CFL setup. If nothing else, it gave me something to do on a Saturday. Cheers....Here's the photos.

It all started with this:

I got it home, and it sat for a few days. I decided I didn't want to use anything other than the tank on this Chi...so off came the light/filter and the mount that was epoxied on the back of the tank:

Friday night, I get the idea, and stores are closing....run to Michaels quick, and get some thinner 3/16" plywood, almost like balsawood. I'm not sure how this'll hold up in the long run...but if it fails, I could always make something out of thin gage stainless at work. I guess I'm considering this my cheap test project. Heh.

I'm currently looking for housing, but stuck in the same apartment I've been in, the last 5yrs. Needless to say, my workbench is my kitchen/breakfast table area.

Also, I have zero woodworking tools, clamps, or anything of the sort, so here's what I was working with.

I'd lay the mat'l down, and place two 25lb weights on it, and cut straight edges with a dremel cut off wheel. Sounds honky as all getout...but apparently I have pretty smooth handwork as all of the cuts turned out pretty well.

I've never kept a planted tank before, but have just barely started dabbling with an amazon sword in my other chi in the kitchen. I really like the idea of more of a planted tank...and this is going to be my testbed.

After I got the boards cut, I marked off, and drilled holes for the corner braces. I'm sure I went overboard, but it was fun and I definitely lost track of time.

The rest of the pictures:

looking up inside the tank, you can see how the corner braces work with the bolts to sit on the edge of the tank.

Sitting at my desk, it'll be easy to watch from here.

From light source to bottom of tank, I've currently got approx 17" in depth. From light source to water is more like 6".

I've got nothing in the tank yet, and probably won't for a while. Baby steps for teh noob. Hehe.

Lighting: 6" diameter clamp style worklight, 13W Sylvania 6500k CFL

Thoughts? Criticism?
jointbeaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.