The Planted Tank Forum banner

110x Journal ~{[ 56K ]}~

7K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Betowess 
#1 · (Edited)
Well i've been working on a new tank some time now and finally goto the final product (no plant growth yet). Planted about 5 days ago after long cycle while trying to figure out what I wanted to do with it.

[2005]
Hardware:
110X All-Glass (48x18x30)
2x175W MH 10,000K
2x96W PC 6,500K
2x300W Jebo Heaters
DIY Canister Filters
-- 4"PVC 23"Tall (4 cansiters total) Powered by 2 MagDrive 950GPH
100% Flourite
5LB CO2 Tank, Milwaukee Regulator (Shared with 65gal)

Flora:
Vals, Corkscrew (Vallisneria americana)
Vals, Jungle (Vallisneria gigantea)
Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis)
Sword, Amazon Compacta (Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta')
Gracilis (Anubias gracilis)
Spiralis (Cryptocoryne spiralis)

Fauna:
28 Rummy Knose Tetra
10 Otto
2 Bristle Knose Pleco
3 SAE
1 FFF (Flordia Flag Fish)
4 Congo Tetra
6 Zebra Loach

Water:
PH 6.5-7
KH 7
NO3 10ppm
PO4 1ppm
80F

Ferts:
CSM+B
Potassium Nitrate
Potassium Sulphate
Fe Chelate 10%
Mono Potassium Phosphate
Magnesium Sulphate
Calcium Carbonate

Here is the baby of the bunch: [BSS]

[BSS]

[BSS]

[BSS]

[Congo Tetras (Male)]

**UPDATE 7/17/06
Here are some updated pics of the discus:

Got a pair!

**UPDATE Aug 20 2006
If you follow the thread you will see I had issues with the discus pulling up the Hairgrass- so I planted dwarf-sag and it seems to have rooted a lot better. Sorry the BG needs to be re-attached on the left side.
The sag is filling in, in another month it will be nice and thick, I can't wait.

**UPDATE Feb 20 2008 -Fresh replant (yes I know I missed a 2007 update)
Hardware:
110X All-Glass (48x18x30)
2x175W MH 10,000K
2x96W PC 6,500K
2x300W Jebo Heaters
Fluval FX5
100% Flourite
5LB CO2 Tank, Milwaukee Regulator

Flora:
Vals, Jungle (Vallisneria gigantea)
Sword, Amazon Compacta (Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta')
Sword, Narrow Leaf Chain
Spiralis (Cryptocoryne spiralis)
Wendtii, Green
Java Fern
Amazon Sword
Sag, Dwarf Subulata
Balansae
Bolbitus

Fauna:
6 RT Discus
2 BSS Discus
Zebra Loaches

Water:

PH 6.5-7
KH 7
NO3 10ppm
PO4 1ppm
82F
CO2 ~15ppm

Ferts:
CSM+B
Potassium Nitrate
Potassium Sulphate
Fe Chelate 10%
Mono Potassium Phosphate
Magnesium Sulphate
Calcium Carbonate

Two days after tear-down and replant.

One of the Discus, all were grown out from 1-2" juvies.

Currently growing out another batch of discus for the 110gal planted:

Currently have an Algae crew in the QT and debating on 50 rummey-knose tetras. The Wendtti and Balansae are between the Anubas patch and the Spiralis, just cannot see them yet, but once they fill out it should shade the bolbitis, java ferns, and anubas quite well. Also the Amazon sword in the center of the tank has not started it's submersed growth.

See less See more
#2 ·
altums, my favorite FW fish. never had a big enough tank to keep them.

i love your tank, driftwood vertically looks very natural, awesome for angels. i hope those swords grow real tall, cant go wrong with altums and swords.

love foreground plant choice of hairgrass. split the bunches and plant seperate for faster spread! (though a painful task).

I LOVE YOUR TANK. keep it up.

#5 ·
kunerd said:
What do you mean by DIY canister filter? Made your own canister? Is that jsut with a pump and tubing??????
I used 23inch lengths of 4in PVC and added my own plumbing. I made a total of 4 canisters, I run 2 off of 1 MagDrive 950 pump and the other 2 of another. I"ll post some pics once i get it cleaned up down there. They work very well, and the cost was ~$150 for the canisters and $60 per pump. I would have to guess I get over 1000gph off of these filters (if i run them full power).

#6 ·
Here is the filter(s) I put together. I'm by no means a master plumber but it works great, and the price was right.
PVC & Misc plumbing parts ~$100
2 MagDrive 950 ~$80 Each
Aquarium and Marine Epoxy ~$30

It took some playing with to get it to work just right. I started with one pump but the flow was way too low from all the filter material. I added a second then I divided the 4 canisters system to two separate 2 canister systems and that balanced everything out the best. The MagDrive pumps create a lot of pressure so there is no room for air leaks, I was using the standard 4" Plug with the wing-nut for tightening them, I still use them but added the rubber caps and that made a big difference in not pulling air through the system.

It is like having 6-8 XP3s running, it holds ~20L of filter material total. The actual GPH I never really measured so I would have to guess.

Sorry it is a little messy in there, I am adding a UV unit to it so It is not quite done.

#15 ·
I added a few new pics of the discus (see first post), they have been in the tank since mid Jan (got them ~2" each total of 6 in there ATM), they are about 6" now.

I have 8 3" Red Turqs growing out in a 55gal BB that are looking really promising.
The hardest part will be to pick which SnakeSkins I will have to get rid of in the future.

I will be doing some changes on the tank this week. The discus destroyed the hairgrass so I pulled it all out a month ago and will be adding a bunch of dwarf sag hopefully by wednesday. I am hopeing that the sag will br harder for the discus to pull up when they are on the hunt for food.

#16 ·
How old are your snakeskin now? How long did it take for their colours to appear like that? I have about 5 snakeskin in my 100gal and they are about 7mths old now,however their colouration are not as well covered as yours. The colours on mine are currently located on the fins as well as areas on the body which are closest to the fins.in other words,the centre of the body is still dull and uncoloured. Is this natural?

#17 ·
Y0uH0 said:
How old are your snakeskin now? How long did it take for their colours to appear like that? I have about 5 snakeskin in my 100gal and they are about 7mths old now,however their colouration are not as well covered as yours. The colours on mine are currently located on the fins as well as areas on the body which are closest to the fins.in other words,the centre of the body is still dull and uncoloured. Is this natural?
They are probably a few months older than yours, ~9months old.
It took a while for them to color up. They didn't start to get a good pattern untill about 6-7months. I do have 2 that never colored up in the middle of the body, even after feeding a lot of ColorBits and spirulina brine shrimp. Not all snakeskins fully color up 100% of the body. Out of 5 SS I would think most of them will. They are still young so keep feeding quality foods and it should develop nicely.

#19 ·
beautiful tank and gorgeous discus shots. Nice job!

#22 ·
I love the look of your tank,and i love the look of your discus. Everything is coming along very well.I bet the discus feel really at home in your current tank layout.

#23 ·
Wow, nice tank! And impressive filtration and DIY! How is it to clean those tubes and how often do you have to pull them out. Or can you leave them in place? Very natural looking too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.