Yet another planted bowl...(56k) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #31
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

RCS dont eat much algae, and you dont need to be dosing anything unless you didnt use soil in the bowl...

Old 09-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #32
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I only dose excel on my 1.5 gallon bowl, but I have no light and only have an anubias in it, but that anubias was 3 leaves 2 years ago, it's now has over 15 leaves. I stopped the excel dosing this week, hoping algae free it will stay. Below is a pic:

I just added a few red root floaters, they weren't doing well in my newly set up NPT, since I have no light on this bowl, not expecting them to do much better.....
londonloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:40 AM   #33
jdm68
Planted Member

So I haven't updated this thread for quite some time, but the bowl is still doing alright. I pulled out the anacharis a while ago, but it has since sprouted up again. The duckweed is gone(hopefully), and has been replaced with red root floaters. The ones on right now aren't the healthiest, but I'll be switching them out for better plants. The hairgrass is enormous. The HC has been growing well and I've had to trim it a couple times, which is why it looks kinda crappy in the photo. I pulled a whole bunch of fissidens off wood, and it has grown back even better than before. The telanthera grew a good 3-4 inches and stopped, and has been getting some whitish fuzz slime on the leaves. Because this plant wasn't doing well, I added a red ludwigia alongside to add a bigger pop of red. The anubias came out because it had become detached from the wood and some of the leaves were not doing well, so it is in the 10g to beef up. There are also 2 Amano shrimp in this bowl now, to help eat some of the algae the RCS don't take care of.
Tonight I added a Zoomed 501 to the bowl after having started up another bowl(http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...ml#post1637511) and putting a 501 on there to test out, and really liking it. I was having some problems with staghorn algae, so this should help clear that up. The amount of RCS that came from this bowl has been staggering, and I think that I am going to remove the remaining nicely colored cherries to the 10g, and then add a killifish or a betta to this bowl. I'll try to get more pics up in the next couple days.

jdm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:41 AM   #34
jdm68
Planted Member

Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 AM   #35
jdm68
Planted Member

Here are both of my bowls!
Old 12-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #36
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

i really like the one on the right! both look very nice. how many gallons are they? about 2.5 gals?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #37
jdm68
Planted Member

Sorry for the uber-delayed reply, but yes, they are ~2.5g, prob 2 when filled with substrate, plants, wood, and rocks. The one on the left has some really nice DW in it now, I just need to get a camera to shoot it with.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #38
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm68 View Post
Thanks! You should build one. Very low maintainence and only takes about 2-3 hours depending on what/how fast you can plant. The bowl I got at Michael's craft store. This is the 10 inch dia. bowl, and they also have an 8 inch dia. You can use your leftover substrate, and any random desk lamp with a new bulb in it. Obviously I added some wood at a price, but it isn't necessary. Good luck if you decide to build one.
YES YES YES i Know where to find a bowl now THANK YOU jdm68
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17

Last edited by FisheriesOmen; 01-16-2012 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: had to thank him for saying where he got it. Lawls :P
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #39
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

lookin good glad to see that your plants are doing well and can't wait to get some trimmings ^^

Emersed tUB clUB #17
Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #40
jdm68
Planted Member

Wow, I haven't logged in here for a while, and it is crazy to see these pictures, because they look almost NOTHING like what the bowls look like now. The one on the right is way cooler now. The telanthera(small red plant) grew a lot, I clipped and replanted it, and now have two big plants almost growing out of the water. There is also a bunch of java moss and a java fern in there now. The bowl on the left has really grown out, with the Stargrass almost choking the whole bowl out and the ludwigia reaching the surface in there. I also added a piece of DW and a java fern, which doesn't seem to be growing at all. There were 3 Otos and 3 Amanos in each bowl initially, but I lost one Amano and 4 Otos(2 in each bowl) which seems to be leveled off into a nice equilibrium. The bettas are doing great, and after seemingly not being interested in the cherry shrimp when I got them, have changed their minds; I keep seeing bright red fish poop every couple days. I gonna need to get some new pics of these things up before I have to do a big trim. Coming soon...
Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #41
jdm68
Planted Member

Teasers...

Old 02-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #42
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can't wait for my trimmings this weekend those bowls have really grown!

Emersed tUB clUB #17
Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #43
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

You have some beautiful bowls.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dirt, nano bowl, nano planted, sasquatch, shrimp