How to 'winter' a Bulb
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 08-14-2005, 10:32 PM   #1
Vase
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How to 'winter' a Bulb

Hello,

I have a Nymphaea Maculata (Tiger Lotus) that looks like it could do with a rest period. Its growth has practically stopped and it makes no attempt to send up leaves to the surface.

I've heard that you can give them a rest period by removing them from the tank and keeping them in cool, shallow water. There doesnt seem to be much info on the specifics of this so I thought I'd ask on here and get some detailed information so I can do it right.

Cheers,

Vase
Vase is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

this is info on aponogeton bulbs, but it should work just as well with lotus bulbs.

taken from the krib archives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Plants/apons-randall.html
"First, the plant must have been well fertilized and growing in a rich substrate. If not, the tuber will not have been able to store enough nutrients to bring the plant back after dormancy. When the plant has died almost completely back, remove it to a covered container full of damp sand. Place the tuber in the sand and store it in a cool location like the basement at a temperature of 60-65F for a period of six to eight weeks. At the end of this time, replant the tuber in the tank, making sure that you have it right side up. If the plant was able to store enough food during its last growth period, it should begin to sprout within a couple of weeks."
give that a shot if you can't find more info specific to tiger lotus bulbs.

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
SueNH
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Personally I'd love for my lilies to stop reaching for the top.

I have kept tropical lilies from my pond in the basement for the winter. Cold and moist and dark. In early spring I've had them sprout on their own in the basement, long before it's safe to put them out again.
SueNH is offline   Reply With Quote