Dewalltheway's - "The 125G"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-20-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

Dewalltheway's - "The 125G"

Well...it has begun and what better way to start it off then with getting the journal going. Yes..this is my dream tank. To some, it may be ordinary, but to me, it will be fun! Will I ever go bigger, maybe, but my dream is to have a 6'-0" long tank. Aquarium Adventure was having a sale on tanks and I went Saturday morning to make my decision on one and I bought the 125 gallon...dimensions of 72" long x 18" deep x 23" high. I won't lie and say that the 180 gal was not impressive, but at this point, the 125 made more sense for me. The tank still sits at the store while I make preparations in my basement for the tank. I will post photos of the building progress and installation of the tank. Work should begin later this week as I need to make a trip to Lowes for building supplies and then also switch my fish & plants over from my 90 gal to a 55 gal for temporary holding. So let the fun begin!

Last edited by dewalltheway; 02-18-2014 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Opinion post
dewalltheway is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (113/100%)

Let the waiting game begin too. subscribed bro. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Any ideas so far?
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #3
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Ideas...plenty. I will be cutting a hole in one of my interior basement stud walls so I can access the back of the tank from what I call my fish room. This will be the major re-modeling of the family room to build a base and soffit so it blends in with the room.

As far as filtration..Plan on using at least 3 fluval filters possibly 4. I will be plumbing into the lines a hydor in-line heater, atomic inline diffuser, UV sterilizer, rex style CO2 reactor and possible a PH probe. I have (4) new LED 7000K flood lights coming from Dealextreme.com that will be my lighting. I will also be ordering tomorrow 4 pieces of Texas select wood from ADG, with thanks to Frank Wazeter for picking out and photographing the pieces that I choose. I will be using Eco-complete for my substrate and will order more bags tomorrow but will use what is in my 90 gal now as well. I also have all the supplies from FiltersFast and will be building (3) Purigen reactors per a build I saw here on TPT. I just need to find some nice rock to go around the pieces of driftwood so I will have to stop in at a landscape place to try and find some. The tank will have a black background and will use the plants I have currently in my 90 gal. Well..that is a start and can't wait to get going on it.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Checklist...

125 Gal Aquarium from Aquarium Adventure...check - ($333.59)

LED Lights from Dealextreme...check - ($132.50)

Additional 6 bags of Eco-Complete from Petco...check - ($102.18)

Wood hardscape from ADG (Aquarium Design Group)...check - ($135.00)

Purigen Reactors from Filtersfast....check - ($108.64)

Fluval rubber end caps from [Ebay Link Removed] - ($35.22)

CO2 Atomic Inline Diffuser from GLA...check - (~$45.00)

Lowes for building supplies & plumbing....not checked - (-)
Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Ok...I haven't posted any pics and I know that pics are alot better to look at then to read a bunch of words so here you go....

Preparing for a new tank always seems like it takes the longest but want to do this right. Here is a pic of the wall that the tank will be centered on.

Demo and construction is slated for next week but before that could begin, I needed to clear out my fishroom that is behind that wall

and get to the floor that needs to be re-done

The floor has been scrubbed with TSA and also some cleaner for concrete and now waiting for it to dry.

May put a coat of paint on it later tonight if we aren't to late getting back from my daughters basketball tournament game, otherwise a coat of paint on it tomorrow and then wait 24 hours before I can do anything else. The next step after the floor is done is to set back up the 55 gal tank to be a temporary holding for the fish in the 90 gal tank so I can tear that down and start on tearing out the wall and build the tank base.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Floor painted! Tuesday night I can move the 55 gal tank back in there and start moving my plants and fish to it so I can tear down the 90 gal. I hate having to move the fish twice, but I have no other choice because that tank is in the way of the new construction.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #7
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Tonight I was able to get my 55 gal holding tank cleaned up and put back into the fish room so I could transfer my fish from the 90 gal to it. Took me about 6 hours to get everything switched and still alot of cleanup to do.

55gal up...

Then the fun began...getting ready to tear out the plants...

Tank one last time before being tore down (Looks like crap!!)

Then filled up the 55 with the water from the 90 gal and ready to transfer fish

(Wow..look at that algae build up. Can someone say neglect!)

Transfer complete and now an empty tank

Will start to clean up and get ready for demo & construction Thursday night
Old 02-29-2012, 04:45 AM   #8
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

I can't wait to see this come together. It would be really nice to have that room right next to where your going to put your new tank. You have quite a few bylxa aubertii in there. I have 1 out of the 2 left that I got from you as my roselines took a liking to the other one when I was out of town for a week. If you ever have any extras you want to get rid of let me know.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experimenting itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
I can't wait to see this come together. It would be really nice to have that room right next to where your going to put your new tank. You have quite a few bylxa aubertii in there. I have 1 out of the 2 left that I got from you as my roselines took a liking to the other one when I was out of town for a week. If you ever have any extras you want to get rid of let me know.
Actually..the plants on the right are the Blyxa Aubertii and the plants on the left are Cyperus Helferi. One of the fish in my tank is eating at mine as well and completely destroyed one and was working on another. I haven't found the culprit yet. After splitting one last night I have 5 plants left. Hope to propagate more once they are in my 125.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

That was a nice corner tank. I haven't seen to many corner tanks that nice before.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
That was a nice corner tank. I haven't seen to many corner tanks that nice before.
Thank you but it actually looked terrible when I tore it down last night. If you want to see this tank in it's glory, go HERE and scroll to post #175 and that, in my humble opinion is the best this tank has ever looked
Old 02-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Got any barbs in your tank? I know my Odessa Barbs have started to tear my plants up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Got any barbs in your tank? I know my Odessa Barbs have started to tear my plants up...
Nope....I have a feeling it could be my Pictus Cat or my SAE or possibly my Clown Loaches but I just don't know.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I checked out post #175. The thing that popped into my head was WOW lol that's a beautiful picture.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
mountaindew
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lots of work!
Aquarium room looks like fun! Inspired to build one myself this year.
I have been thinking about building a studio for planted display setups and photography.
md
mountaindew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.